The Met Police WON'T ban Poppy Day pro-Palestine rally

CharlieH

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Are we going to argue about estimates for a demonstration that hasn’t yet happened?

It seems lots of estimates are being made and more than a few blind and baseless guesses.

You brought this up...

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Wobblybob said:

Maybe the peaceful protesters should not associate themselves with bigoted, anti semetics shouting for the destruction of Israel and the Israelis too. Would you join a march that included these hate merchants, I certainly wouldn't.

Maybe the demonstration Marshall and the police should do their job and deal with such people, amongst the protestors and the counter protestors.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You’re on a roll today Morch.

How about the estimates of anti-semite’s being asserted in this thread?

On a roll how? Deflecting much? Do I always have to address each and every post? Some posters I just don't bother much responding to. Other times I'm lazy and put an emoji instead.

My view is that if there's enough footage, pics and reports of protests showing a sizeable element of people doing something 'bad', it's enough to cast a shadow over the event. That's not about discrediting everyone out there, or even all of the 'official' message of the protest - but it cannot be ignored. It's a different story when dealing with obvious smaller groups within a protest - can't control everyone. IMO, many of the protests (not just the UK) related to this, do display massive messages of hatred, bigotry, racism and violence. You may disagree, of course.

You brought up the issue - if you don't want to pursue it, that's your right. 

• Like 1

Just now, stevenl said:

You and your ilk have together with your opponents made many threads in the war on Israel subforum impossible to read. 

Please keep your nonsense to that forum and don't poison this one as well.

Ah a personal attack, just what is me and my ilk?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Dealing with anti-senitism and violence that might or does arise is a matter for the police.

The police have not found reason to deny everyone else the right to peacefully protest.

I support the right to peaceful protest, including the right to peaceful counter protest, and I support the arrest and prosecution of those who break the law, be the protestors or counter protestors. 

I do not support Ministers of State branding the whole protest as hate or her dog whistles to rightwing extremists.

I certainly believe that protesting in support of ending the killing of civilians in this war is a fitting memorial to the Armistice.

I wasn't asking or commenting on your take regarding this. You've posted pretty much the same several times by now, your position is clear.

My comment was about another post you made touching on a related issue. You chose deflection and mild personal retort - up to you.

4 minutes ago, Morch said:

I wasn't asking or commenting on your take regarding this. You've posted pretty much the same several times by now, your position is clear.

My comment was about another post you made touching on a related issue. You chose deflection and mild personal retort - up to you.

Hardly surprising though is it Morch, given the personal attacks and slurs that many of those who disagree with me resort to.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, billd766 said:

This is an open forum, and if you don't like the responses to your post you can always put the poster on ignore and not read their post.

Many people on this thread disagree with a lot of my posts. I recognise that they have the same rights to post as I do. I either accept it, or simply ignore it.

I know that their mind is firmly made up and will not change. what I try hard NOT to do is insult or denigrate that poster.

If you don't like a posters stance on a subject, so what, it is HIS stance and not yours.

I know how forums work thanks for the refresher anyway.

I did not get a response, all I got was deflection.

Would you class this as an insult, I did!

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

You and your ilk have together with your opponents made many threads in the war on Israel subforum impossible to read. 

Please keep your nonsense to that forum and don't poison this one as well.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I would not have classed that as insult.

I would class it as a reminder though, and I would wonder where I went wrong.

Then again I am not thin skinned.

Does that infer that you think I'm thin skinned, is that because of me and my ilk. Up your act Bill.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

I am good then - I object to the actions of the Israeli government but I hold no ill feeling towards Jewish people. I presume, therefore, that I could march without fear of being unfairly discredited as an anti Semite?

I guess so but avoiding the poppy day celebrations in a host country is only respect. There are many other days to demonstrate in support of the Palestinians 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

I have never screamed such a statement as it does not sit with my stance on the matter. 

So again, how does one register their objections to the illegal actions of the state of Israel without having slurs of anti Semitism thrown at them?

I am. Can you try being less arrogant and patronising?

Surely that is up to the protesters how they conduct themselves and not for me, I am sorry if you don't see the obvious situation as most people in the UK.

• Confused 2