The Met Police WON'T ban Poppy Day pro-Palestine rally

CharlieH

58 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I would not have classed that as insult.

I would class it as a reminder though, and I would wonder where I went wrong.

Then again I am not thin skinned.

Some may say, @billd766, that putting people on 'ignore' is evidence of being thin skinned.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Negita43 said:

Yes and that's what those who died in 2 world wars died for, so having the freedom to march against war on this particular day underlines hard fought for values and far from being an insult is actually a celebration of their sacrifice.

Well yes I agree, it’s one of the things people from around the world who fought with Britain in two world wars fought for.

And yes I agree, marching for peace on Armistice Day is a fitting memorial to those who were killed or injured in those wars and the many wars and conflicts since. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Well yes I agree, it’s one of the things people from around the world who fought with Britain in two world wars fought for.

And yes I agree, marching for peace on Armistice Day is a fitting memorial to those who were killed or injured in those wars and the many wars and conflicts since. 

You claim that they march for peace. Many of them march for additional or other reasons.

That you try to present things as decided, or ignore facts is not helpful. I think you can make your argument without the wide-brush.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Why would I need it. What are the chances that 100% of the demonstrators are British? 

They don’t have to be Brian, the right to freedom of assembly (Article 11 of the European Convention on Hunan Rights) under which the right to peaceful protest in the UK exists has no ‘nationality’ qualification.

• Like 1

Just now, Chomper Higgot said:

They don’t have to be Brian, the right to freedom of assembly (Article 11 of the European Convention on Hunan Rights) under which the right to peaceful protest in the UK exists has no ‘nationality’ qualification.

Deflection, you were implying that there were no non British citizens taking part and asked me for evidence when its frigging obvious they would not all be British.

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Morch said:

You claim that they march for peace. Many of them march for additional or other reasons.

That you try to present things as decided, or ignore facts is not helpful. I think you can make your argument without the wide-brush.

Oh dear.

So some folk tag along for other reasons, other folk join counter demonstrations for other reasons.

Perhaps now you’ll understand my objection to a Minister of State inflaming already high emotions and dig whistling to the extreme rightwing rather than seeking to quieten those emotions with careful and considered commentary.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Oh dear.

So some folk tag along for other reasons, other folk join counter demonstrations for other reasons.

Perhaps now you’ll understand my objection to a Minister of State inflaming already high emotions and dig whistling to the extreme rightwing rather than seeking to quieten those emotions with careful and considered commentary.

Well, having seen enough footage and pictures, I think your description is contrived, and aimed at minimizing what was referenced to.

Already said I got your point. Don't think I posted anything in favor of what she said, obviously could have been handled better. But that by itself doesn't make them protests into what you try to paint them as.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

Deflection, you were implying that there were no non British citizens taking part and asked me for evidence when its frigging obvious they would not all be British.

Brian.

It is you that used the term ‘host country’.

It is you that are arguing demonstrators are not British Citizens

It is for you to provide evidence to back your claims, not me.

And anyway, as I’ve already stated, Article 11 of the ECHR under which the rights within the UK to peaceful protest exist has no nationality qualification.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Morch said:

Well, having seen enough footage and pictures, I think your description is contrived, and aimed at minimizing what was referenced to.

Already said I got your point. Don't think I posted anything in favor of what she said, obviously could have been handled better. But that by itself doesn't make them protests into what you try to paint them as.

Oddly you aren’t taking up any argument against those paining the protestors as violent, anti-semites.

I’m rather pleased the police understand their obligations to not interfere with the right to peaceful protest, and indeed peaceful counter protest.

They can focus on dealing with those who break the law and let others enjoy their rights, as the law requires the police to do.

• Like 1

Brian.

It is you that used the term ‘host country’.

It is you that are arguing demonstrators are not British Citizens

It is for you to provide evidence to back your claims, not me.

And anyway, as I’ve already stated, Article 11 of the ECHR under which the rights within the UK to peaceful protest exist has no nationality qualification.

Chomper, I don't need to provide evidence to you on what I consider to be obvious. You may want to look at the many stats on non British citizens populations in London to clearly make a comparion to any large groups. However again I don't care whethjer you do that or not, I'm not wasting my time over such an obvious point that you are stretching for argument sake.

Back to my point, regardless of rights, its to do with respect, whether you are a UK national or not. 

• Thanks 1

Chomper, I don't need to provide evidence to you on what I consider to be obvious. You may want to look at the many stats on non British citizens populations in London to clearly make a comparion to any large groups. However again I don't care whethjer you do that or not, I'm not wasting my time over such an obvious point that you are stretching for argument sake.

Back to my point, regardless of rights, its to do with respect, whether you are a UK national or not. 

I understand your desire to make unsubstantiated claims and ire at being challenged for doing so.

I see absolutely nothing disrespectful about protesting for an end to a war on a day dedicated to the memory of an Armistice.

Opinions differ, but rights to peaceful protest are a matter of law and international human rights conventions (that were promulgated in the aftermath of WW2) and to which the UK is a founding nation signatory.

• Like 1

I understand your desire to make unsubstantiated claims and ire at being challenged for doing so.

I see absolutely nothing disrespectful about protesting for an end to a war on a day dedicated to the memory of an Armistice.

Opinions differ, but rights to peaceful protest are a matter of law and international human rights conventions (that were promulgated in the aftermath of WW2) and to which the UK is a founding nation signatory.

Very weak Chomper.....lol

I will leave this topic as I started off with my first post, and no the platter bit is not to be taken literally, I leave those sort of things to the Hamas terrorists who deliberately massacred 100's of innocent civilians. 

image.png.10f8b254a1a88b24e6a159348cc98cb6.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Very weak Chomper.....lol

I will leave this topic as I started off with my first post, and no the platter bit is not to be taken literally, I leave those sort of things to the Hamas terrorists who deliberately massacred 100's of innocent civilians. 

image.png.10f8b254a1a88b24e6a159348cc98cb6.png

Can't see many Hamas terrorists being there, but I hope a lot of the anti- Zionist Jews are there with their "not in our name placards"

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Jeff the Chef said:

Can't see many Hamas terrorists being there, but I hope a lot of the anti- Zionist Jews are there with their "not in our name placards"

Did I say there was? I did see some Hamas supporters in the news pics though although fortunately the UK Met has made arrests

16 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Oddly you aren’t taking up any argument against those paining the protestors as violent, anti-semites.

I’m rather pleased the police understand their obligations to not interfere with the right to peaceful protest, and indeed peaceful counter protest.

They can focus on dealing with those who break the law and let others enjoy their rights, as the law requires the police to do.

Oddly, I don't have to address both sides of each and every topic.

I agree with you that some of the comments made by the ones you argue with are over the top. I think that's partly due to the way you present your views - refusing to acknowledge points made, or doing your best to minimize and dismiss them. You may be satisfied with how the police handled or may handle things, obviously not everyone agrees.

I don't think the protests are quite as you try to paint them, I don't think the police reaction was optimal either.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Morch said:

Oddly, I don't have to address both sides of each and every topic.

I agree with you that some of the comments made by the ones you argue with are over the top. I think that's partly due to the way you present your views - refusing to acknowledge points made, or doing your best to minimize and dismiss them. You may be satisfied with how the police handled or may handle things, obviously not everyone agrees.

I don't think the protests are quite as you try to paint them, I don't think the police reaction was optimal either.

Opinions differ.

I’m on the side of defending the right to peacefully protest and arresting and prosecuting those who break the law.

But I think you got that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Morch said:

Were you branded an anti Semite on current topics?

Personally not, however these days I usually avoid participating in such debates.

However my question was not about me particularly, but of the almost Pavlovian response of some to any criticism of Israel. I have no doubt that you are aware of the phenomenon.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Maybe the demonstration Marshall and the police should do their job and deal with such people, amongst the protestors and the counter protestors.

Demonstration Marshall? Who is that then?

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Opinions differ.

I’m on the side of defending the right to peacefully protest and arresting and prosecuting those who break the law.

But I think you got that.

You're also on the side of ignoring what others say and doggedly repeat the same message over and over again.

• Thanks 1