Highway Collapses on Sukhumvit Soi 64/1 in Bangkok [video]

webfact

5 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

This isn't a sinkhole, it is a collapsed cover over a man made cavity. Just  more Thai engineering.

Correct.  I was there and looked down.  There was a huge deep circular concrete ring below what looked like a temporary road structure covering it.

• Like 1

Correct - that is on Sukhumivit Road by True Digital Park - I was there and saw it all...very impressed at how they managed to get two huge cranes in place so quickly to rescue the truck that was about to descend into the depths of the man made concrete ringed tube descending to who knows where.

Truck falls into construction hole on Sukhumvit Soi 64

sink3.jpg

A ten-wheel truck plunged into a hole on Soi Sukhumvit 64 in Phra Khanong district this morning (Wednesday), worsening the traffic congestion. The accident happened at about noon, obstructing three lanes of the road. Police have warned motorists to avoid the area.

Initial reports indicate that a taxi driver and a food delivery driver were injured in the accident.

Bangkok governor Chadchart Sittipunt rushed to the area to assess the situation.The governor said that an initial investigation has found that the Metropolitan Electricity Authority was installing electrical conduit under the road and a large steel sheet was used to cover the surface of that section. Chadchart said an investigation will be conducted to determine why the truck fell into the hole.

Full story: Thai PBS 2023-11-08

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1

6 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

It also makes me wonder how they are usually supported. Four squares covering a giant hole with no support in the middle. If we had rectangular pieces covering the hole that makes sense, but squares that meet in the middle with no support underneath?. How does that work?

Clearly. It doesn't work.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Celsius said:

Has anyone watched the video? They are literally blaming the driver for truck being too heavy for this road.

Can only be considered if there was special signage warning about maximum weight?

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, petermik said:

A committee is being set up to investigate the whole matter...

I had to take a second look at your comment. At first I read it as though you said "the hole matter"!   lol

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, neeray said:

Thanks to JosephBloggs for all the great pictures and video plus the elaborate narrative. "A picture is worth a thousand words." This post is like a million words. And thumbs up to the crane guys. It's interesting to see how the workers guiding the slab after lifting, all kept their feet well back.

Thank you Neeray, you're welcome. And yes, they did a really fantastic job - I was impressed.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

15 hours ago, bdenner said:

Strange there is no mention of the "bar bar bor bor" (idocy) of the owner/drivers of these trucks!!!!!

20 + mirrors pointing at the driver - 12 driving lights across the roof (Bling) - and effin mud flaps protruding 30 cm outside the width of the vehicle. Goes back to the days where bus drivers had to open the screen over their engine to show that "my engine is bigger than yours" = Stuff the fact that someone could get caught up in the rotating belts === IDIOTS

Som Non Nah - there is a Budda!

What has this got to do with the report of lorries caught up in road collapses? 

Edited by Bangkok Barry
  • Thanks 1