Bangkok nightlife braces for extended hours with heightened safety protocols

webfact

image.jpeg

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) is implementing stricter safety protocols for nightlife establishments in preparation for the government’s proposed extension of their operating hours until 4am.

The BMA’s Office of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation, under the leadership of Director Teerayut Poomipak, is set to respond to potential issues that may arise from the extended operating hours. Collaborating with the Public Works Department and district offices, the office is amplifying inspections of safety and fire prevention systems in pubs and bars before the enforcement of the extension on December 15, said Teerayut.

“Legal action will be taken against business operators who fail to abide by laws overseeing building safety and fire prevention practices.”

Teerayut also mentioned the BMA’s initiative to assist businesses seeking training in building safety and fire prevention.

by Mitch Connor 

Picture courtesy of Syed Ahmad, Unsplash

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-11-09

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Initially it will be busy then people will just start going out later.

I think it will die with the post nye slump.

I figure it will be slow until maybe songkran.  The only people this will aid is tourist as under age thais will have tighter scrutiny 

Headline is a bit telling ... "Braces" ...

... great, more drunkin' & disorderly after the witching hour.

Can't wait for the influx of new "Idiot drunk foreigner ..... "  along with more exciting MVA.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

the office is amplifying inspections of safety and fire prevention systems in pubs and bars before the enforcement of the extension on December 15, said Teerayut.

"enforcement of the extension"
Does that mean that they are going to force the pubs and bars to stay open until 4 AM? What would the penalties be for closing early I wonder!

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Well, they roamed a most harmless, officially licensed, bar in Nong Khai; had a drink on the house and checked ID of all the foreigners (not the Thais) and .... left again. As the folks there are not on drugs, the ID papers pre-scanned onto their phones the BiB left empty handed ;-) 

I assume that such checks will be much more frequent now - somehow those coffers need to be filled - one or the other way ;-) 

• Thumbs Up 1

Better get the hospitals ready, more accidents, deaths etc. If this is changing attitudes then I want to shop in supermarket and be able to buy a bottle at any time. Just thought, massage perhaps can now open 24/7. Drunk drivers a couple of hours before kids go to school what a thought. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

How does staying open longer impact safety and fire prevention systems? Shouldn't those measures be in place at all hours? More bizarre Thai logic.

Currently most venues operating in Bangkok afterhours are the definition of fire hazards - small rooms packed with drunk people, some with flamable soundproofing covering the walls, and only one way out usually through a narrow corridor. Extending legal closing time will allow larger, established venues that do not present a fire hazard to remain open later, thus mostly eliminating the need for fire hazard illegal venues.

Currently the situation is absurd - the legal venues that are much safer for patrons close early, while smaller illegal venues are the only ones allowed to (pay to) remain open. At least that's the situation in Bangkok where nightlife has been dying a slow agonizing death due to the enforcement of the 2am curfew. People are literally leaving Bangkok as it's not fun as it used to be.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

“Legal action will be taken against business operators who fail to abide by laws overseeing building safety and fire prevention practices.”

Joke of the year... many don't even have licenses to operate.. just the nod from local police.

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Headline is a bit telling ... "Braces" ...

... great, more drunkin' & disorderly after the witching hour.

Can't wait for the influx of new "Idiot drunk foreigner ..... "  along with more exciting MVA.

People will go out later and spend the same money... most tourist are on a budget.
Locals will definitely go out later if staying to closing time.

some bars have speculated they could make up to 30% more... don't see that happening.

• Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Step 1: Choose to live in an entertainment area, instead of a myriad of other quieter options.

Step 2: Complain about the noise.

Step 3: ???

<deleted>! There have been people who actually own a place , houses even. Why on earth wold they buy a house when in 20 years time it becomes city center and nightlife until the breweries have had their share. Your logic looks as if you have a share too......................flooded the grey cells , have we?

1 hour ago, AAArdvark said:

What are the " designated" zones?  It appears to not be cities but smaller zones. 

In Bangkok the current plan is Silom, RCA and Ratchadapisek. Which is quite funny/sad considering Silom caters to expats, RCA and Ratchadapisek cater mostly to Thais. If the goal is to promote tourism then they have completely failed to include actual areas where tourists go: Lower Sukhumvit, Khaosan, Thong Lor... Gotta wonder if the zones weren't chosen by the size of the envel...err...venues. It's either that, or whoever made the decision has no clue about tourist nightlife.

Edited by PingRoundTheWorld

2 minutes ago, Marco51 said:

<deleted>! There have been people who actually own a place , houses even. Why on earth wold they buy a house when in 20 years time it becomes city center and nightlife until the breweries have had their share. Your logic looks as if you have a share too......................flooded the grey cells , have we?

If you bought a house in an area that later became city center then congratulations! You're rich. Just sell it and move on instead of clinging to how you want the neighborhood to be vs what it developed to be.

My logic is driven by me liking to party - LATE - and the wet blanket rules ruining Bangkok nightlife for me. I'm a patron, not an operator, have no financial stake in this beyond spending way too much on booze.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, AAArdvark said:

What are the " designated" zones?  It appears to not be cities but smaller zones. 

In Bangkok, I read that the zones are Patpong/Silom, Ratchada, and RCA, which I seem to recall were the same areas selected for special closing hours back during the Thaksin years. And no, it doesn't make sense that a policy intended to boost tourist spending is mostly focused on areas where most of the customers are local Thais (and often underage Thais at that).

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

59 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

People will go out later and spend the same money... most tourist are on a budget.
Locals will definitely go out later if staying to closing time.

some bars have speculated they could make up to 30% more... don't see that happening.

it's easy to lose track of time sometimes and before you know it they're closing and it's 2am. That shock will be delayed now and a few more beers will have been downed by throwing out time.  

I think this is an excellent idea and while they are looking in the riule book, why don't they do away with the stupid law that prevents alcohol sales from 2.00pm to 5.00pm? It is a pain in the arse if for example, you plan on picking up some beveys whilst grocary shopping and then realise that it's just after 2.00pm when you get to the check out. 

If I remember correctly, it was one of Taksin's stupid ideas but I can't remember what it was suppossed to achieve. Does anyone else remember what it was for. 

2 hours ago, anthobkk said:

I've been partying until 4-5 AM all over Thailand for the last 10 years, what would be the changes ? Don't need to pay the police if you stay open after 2am ?

Me too - but a little longer. Spicy in Bangkok was open until 6am 15 years ago (possibly longer). Not that it was legal then though.  Many other bars have been opening later for a long time. Anyone know if that place is still there?

My local club in Pak Chong stays open until at least 4am now - longer if there's enough customers.

I don't see that much will change - other than legalising what already happens - that won't go down too well with the BiB..........they'll have to find a new 'extraction' method.

Maybe the title should be, Thailand bracing for High Season, since it is November now, and some

retired people start leaving the northern countries to avoid cold and snow in their countries.

Of course TAT and maybe Bangkok News have forgotten about low season and high season.

My Opinion of course...