Helmetless motorcycle rides in Thailand puts lives at risk

snoop1130

6 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

True. Most of the people I see do wear a helmet, I thought it was somewhat ironic when a policeman does not have a helmet on his young child.

few years back a friend of mine was pulled over with dozrns of others for not wearing a het - he had to pay a fine at the station - but they pointed out that a taxi motorsai nearby could take his fine to the station for him - so he paid that way - off went the motosai - of course not wearing a helmet.

A friend's wife was also stopped for not wearing a helet - and on the s[pot fine - it was particua=larly annoying as she was driving a car.

1 minute ago, kwilco said:

few years back a friend of mine was pulled over with dozrns of others for not wearing a het - he had to pay a fine at the station - but they pointed out that a taxi motorsai nearby could take his fine to the station for him - so he paid that way - off went the motosai - of course not wearing a helmet.

A friend's wife was also stopped for not wearing a helet - and on the s[pot fine - it was particua=larly annoying as she was driving a car.

It all depends on the police officer and how he feels on the day, or at least that is what it appears to be.

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

I don't care if they put their lives at risk or die, what I care about is MY life at risk, when I might need an ambulance or Surgery, but some selfish dick head has caused those to be unavailable for me, I was hoping this article would highlight that but sadly not. 

curious logic - andf you need to review your knowledge of the Thai first respons=der and emergency services if you think you'll get any proper response regardless of other road users.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, kwilco said:

curious logic - andf you need to review your knowledge of the Thai first respons=der and emergency services if you think you'll get any proper response regardless of other road users.

You reply I agree with but to what you responded sounds very much like a "look at me I am so important" person. Sad.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, kwilco said:

Sorry but it doesn't work like that - an incident doesn't know how far you are travelling and takes only seconds to occur.

airflow is a problem especially on full-faces not design for warmer climates but you can't avoid te evidence that most accidents occur close to home.

If you want to know what effect coming of a bike at any speed is just imagine filling to the ground from a standing position and using only your head to break the fall.

Helmets are only effective against "glancing" blows - on  direct blows even at low speed they are ineffective as your brain (layered a bit like an onion) will shake haemorrhage and you'll die. Many accidents the victim seems totally unhurt they just die of brain injury - helmets reduce this but only up to a point . Speed is a factor of about 20% in crashes and it covers all types of injuries but there is a very low threshold for head injuries and any speed is a threat.

One of the reasons for the high injury and fatality rates close to home is that the "I'm-only-nipping-down-to-the shops" syndrome kicks in and people fail to take full safety precautions. It's a bit like throwing a dice, the risk is constant per kilometre - it does in increase with distance

You aren't saying anything new, we know most accidents happen near home, people been banging on about that for a long time. For now i don't want to wear a full face around town, i know the risks, now calm down 

• Agree 1

Just now, Photoguy21 said:

Yes I did. Shouldnt be but that is what it is.

THis  is why ealier I also mentioned that there needs to be a total reform of te police - which is possibly a constitutional affair.

For road safety to improve in Thailand the approach is well documented, but it has to be a holistic approach - if you miss out on one aspect then the whole thing collapses like a deck of cards.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Longer journeys I'm going a lot faster, 100kmph, more dogs on Sukhumvit, plus better air flow for a full face. Around town lots of traffic less airflow, full face not so good, open face good

100 kmph seems fast for Sukhumvit. What bike do you drive?

On 11/9/2023 at 9:23 PM, CRUNCHER said:

Don't bother with fines for people on motor cycles without a helmet. Just impound the bike for a couple of weeks. Sales of helmets will sky rocket.

Agreed. Same with cars, pickups, minibuses. Just impound them and return when a license is displayed and an enormous fine. Unpaid within 2 weeks and your vehicle is up for sale.

They'll never get it. The only language they understand is money.

Sadly, their selfish, wreckless driving usually ends up hurting innocent bystanders more.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vangrop said:

And what course did you get?

I took drivers education during High School, and also took private educational services before getting my motor vehicle drivers license. I also took the MSF course for motorcycles before receiving my motorcycle license. 

2 hours ago, kwilco said:

So its ok for people to take up hospital resources, becoz of their own stupidity, while those in need through no fault of their own, can't get a bed or the surgeon/doctor they need. OK then for all the head injury's to use up hospital resources, have you had a head injury lately, coz it sounds like it.

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

So its ok for people to take up hospital resources, becoz of their own stupidity, while those in need through no fault of their own, can't get a bed or the surgeon/doctor they need. OK then for all the head injury's to use up hospital resources, have you had a head injury lately, coz it sounds like it.

So if they need a hospital it's their fault, it you need a hospital it's someone else's fault?

• Confused 2

On 11/10/2023 at 2:13 PM, scubascuba3 said:

555 no helmet user

Au contraire. I wear a full face helmet 100% of the time while riding the motorbike. I just don't subscribe to the view that just because someone lives their life with a different set of values to mine that they are a "insert you favourite string of pejoratives here". Enjoy your day.

Edited by MisterPooFarty

21 hours ago, brianthainess said:

I don't care if they put their lives at risk or die, what I care about is MY life at risk, when I might need an ambulance or Surgery, but some selfish dick head has caused those to be unavailable for me, I was hoping this article would highlight that but sadly not. 

Agree, of course, that whilst an ambulance is attending an avoidable moto injury it cannot be in two places at once. As regards payment, both in home Country and in Thailand, the cost of road traffic accidents, in theory, is not bourne by the National Health Service but by motor insurance companies.

20 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

It isn't pleasant wearing a helmet in hot Countries. Given that irreplaceable skin loss is a killer too, how many wear leathers, gloves and boots?

Maybe not, but try not wearing a helmet in OZ, even on a push bike. Even the UK can get hot, Don't the US enforce helmet laws?

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

As regards payment, both in home Country and in Thailand, the cost of road traffic accidents, in theory, is not bourne by the National Health Service but by motor insurance companies.

Not everybody is covered by insurance, especially in Thailand, riding without a helmet in the UK you may get away with-it for about 10min. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Not everybody is covered by insurance, especially in Thailand, riding without a helmet in the UK you may get away with-it for about 10min. 

Two young Thai relatives involved in RTA's, my niece, aged 15 had part of one foot amputated after colliding with a lamp post on a moto. My nephew suffered chest injuries (fortunately no permanent damage). Both were treated at our local Government Community Hospital and then transferred to Regional Hospital. According to my Mrs they were treated without delay and any questions. The family later received bills from the hospital.   

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I reckon in Pattaya they should stop sending people to BPH, it's just too expensive for those without insurance, then a gofundme follows. Default should be Banglamung unless have insurance 

The hospitals just rip of the insurance companies anyway they are in cahoots with each other. IMO

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, MisterPooFarty said:

Au contraire. I wear a full face helmet 100% of the time while riding the motorbike. I just don't subscribe to the view that just because someone lives their life with a different set of values to mine that they are a "insert you favourite string of pejoratives here". Enjoy your day.

That's why they have laws, protect people from themselves

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The fact that they are looking into it and it seems that a few other changes are being talked about also is something positive at least. Hopefully they will enforce the rules more stringently and people will not have to lose their loved ones early.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2023 at 3:49 PM, hondoelsinore said:

I lost my second wife in a motorcycle accident. She was wearing a helmet, boots and leathers and still succumbed to her injuries. I still cannot understand the Westerners infatuation with locals wearing helmets here. People are going to do what they want, and doing the right thing doesn't always save a life. 

That's very sad. Taking safety precautions increases your chances but isn't a guarantee. It wasn't on a bike but I was hit by another car when I stopped at the end of a queue, nearly 30 years ago. I don't know for sure but I think my seatbelt saved me from greater injury. I was more concerned than previously when stopping in traffic, and I was more aware of vehicles behind me as well. My back hasn't been the same since but given the force of the impact, firstly pushing me back into the seat so hard the seat bent (head restraint helped there) and then forward on impact with the car in front I think it could have been worse.

As for westerners views on helmet and seatbelt wearing, maybe we value life more than Thais, or more likely, they don't think that far ahead. It's not all of them as my wife has the same view as me.

• Thanks 1