looking for advice regarding airline compensation

BenStark

I have friends just arrived on Emirates economy flight.

Their stopover in Dubai was supposed to be the usual ~3 hours according their ticket, but that turned into a 16 hour stopover.

They didn't get offered a hotel or whatever, and neither any compensation.

Luckily one of them had an American Express card which allowed him access to the lounge together with 2 friends.

So what are their options?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, bbko said:

There's written rules about compensation and airline delays, I think the best time to ask is while they are in the airport.  

That airport in thonged by thousands of people all jostling each other. When one eventually gets to speak to a staff member at the help desk their disintetest and inattention can be infuriating.

Someone has already given links, they should outline their complaint and apply for the compensation.

Edited by freeworld

11 hours ago, BenStark said:

So what are their options?

A lot depends on where they flew from and why the flight was delayed.

From the EU, and the UK under retained legislation, there is a statutory compensation scheme but not sure about other departure points.

How much you get depends on who is at fault, weather and traffic control issues rule a lot out but for a long delay there should be immediate hospitality arrangements, usually vouchers for food. One time at Gatwick I was extremely fortunate, found a bar that would take them.

Some good advice here.

https://thethaiger.com/travel-products/insurance/guides/how-to-claim-flight-delay-compensation/

Edited by sandyf
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, freeworld said:

Someone has already given links, they should outline their complaint and apply for the compensation.

It is not quite as straightforward as that, you need to know what you may be entitled to or it may well be a waste of time and effort. The OP was a bit short on detail.

I have had 4 legal disputes with airlines in the last 8 years. Only last week the Arbitration Board ruled in my favour against Easyjet, they awarded £124, that took quite a bit of work over 6 months.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Celsius said:

The way the op is explained he is entitled to big fat zero.

And why would that be if the airline adds 13 hours to their stopover?

If you had bothered to read the OP you would have known that I'm not the traveller, and I think my friends haven't been given a reason either for the delay.

They have a travel itinerary that shows their flight to Bangkok would depart about 3 hours after arrival in Dubai, but when they arrived in Dubai it turned out to be 16 hours

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, BenStark said:

If you had bothered to read the OP you would have known that I'm not the traveller, and I think my friends haven't been given a reason either for the delay.

They have a travel itinerary that shows their flight to Bangkok would depart about 3 hours after arrival in Dubai, but when they arrived in Dubai it turned out to be 16 hours

And?

• Sad 2

Instead of giving out sad, hurt emojis you could always provide more information, which you refuse. Let me babysit you for a sec then....

Did he miss the connecting flight?

Did he demand a resolution BEFORE he boarded the plane and pretty much agree to the terms?

Was the delay overnight?

Etc....etc....

• Sad 2

Happened to me flight delayed in UK , so missed conection there was a dozen or so of us, we got a hotel plus food vouchers for the hotel, but no compensation as not airline fault there was a delay, this was 2 months ago Emirates were very good , hotel was fantastic, don't know why your friends didn't get a hotel

• Like 1

Emirates? Last January I booked and paid for return flights from Europe to Bangkok. Through Dubai. To Europe was ok no problem. However when returning when we checked in for the return flights to Dubai and on to Bangkok we were issued with standby tickets for the Dubai to BKK leg. We checked in early so thought no sweat. WRONG. Arrived in Dubai. Flight was delayed a little bit so had to rush to the connecting Gate. Arrived at the gate in a sweat and was informed no seats available but allowed to board maybe there will be no shows?  Boarded and we ie my daughter and I stood with our baggage everybody thinking we had delayed the flight. After 20 minutes informed there were 3 no shows but my young daughter and I could not sit together. I kicked up a fuss but nothing they could do. My daughter was directed to a seat beside two Thai gay boys who in Thai abused her not aware that she is fluent in Thai. I was directed to a central aisle seat in the middle of a Korean family. Flight took off my daughter distraught as the two gay men continued to abuse her. I was furious and after about 45 mins of complaining two seats together were arranged. The crew took notes of our complaints ie we bought and paid for tickets way in advance yet no seats, having to run from gate to gate etc etc and advised that the complaints were genuine BUT little was likely to be done because. Emirates don’t care or worry about complaints because and I quote from the senior flight attendant; ‘There are too many apples in the orchard that is more customers than seats and management don’t care.’ She was right. The day after I complained in writing and by phone numerous times and I got nothing but limp apologies. I should add that I am a frequent sorry was a frequent flyer with Emirates and hoped more than expected a satisfactory solution. And wasn’t disappointed. Thing is you file the complaint and never get to speak to anyone in authority. Never had a problem with inflight attendants. Just annoyed that I booked a flight, paid in full and the seats I paid for and were confirmed never existed. I know airlines have policies to overbook flights but. Bottom line is I sucked it up learnt my lesson and moved on. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Passengers have a right to compensation in many cases. It is important to know the reason for the delay. If it is weather (and not just claimed by the airline), there is little to do. But moving on and forgetting about it, is pretty stupid, if you are entitled to €600.

There is a ton of companies that can take this case for them. They work under a no compensation, no fee policy. Here is one I just googled:

https://www.airhelp.com/en-gb/

They might as well try this, if they do not want the trouble themselves!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bignok said:

Email airline and complain or make a travel insurance claim.

How come they dont know? Never travelled before?

Have they not got travel insurance or read policy

Such a nonsensical post. Why post if you have no knowledge at all?

15 minutes ago, 7euner said:

Passengers have a right to compensation in many cases. It is important to know the reason for the delay. If it is weather (and not just claimed by the airline), there is little to do. But moving on and forgetting about it, is pretty stupid, if you are entitled to €600.

There is a ton of companies that can take this case for them. They work under a no compensation, no fee policy. Here is one I just googled:

https://www.airhelp.com/en-gb/

They might as well try this, if they do not want the trouble themselves!

That’s for helpless idiots. Don’t encourage middle man scammers who do no ‘legal’ work at all. 

1 hour ago, Nip said:

Emirates? Last January I booked and paid for return flights from Europe to Bangkok. Through Dubai. To Europe was ok no problem. However when returning when we checked in for the return flights to Dubai and on to Bangkok we were issued with standby tickets for the Dubai to BKK leg. We checked in early so thought no sweat. WRONG. Arrived in Dubai. Flight was delayed a little bit so had to rush to the connecting Gate. Arrived at the gate in a sweat and was informed no seats available but allowed to board maybe there will be no shows?  Boarded and we ie my daughter and I stood with our baggage everybody thinking we had delayed the flight. After 20 minutes informed there were 3 no shows but my young daughter and I could not sit together. I kicked up a fuss but nothing they could do. My daughter was directed to a seat beside two Thai gay boys who in Thai abused her not aware that she is fluent in Thai. I was directed to a central aisle seat in the middle of a Korean family. Flight took off my daughter distraught as the two gay men continued to abuse her. I was furious and after about 45 mins of complaining two seats together were arranged. The crew took notes of our complaints ie we bought and paid for tickets way in advance yet no seats, having to run from gate to gate etc etc and advised that the complaints were genuine BUT little was likely to be done because. Emirates don’t care or worry about complaints because and I quote from the senior flight attendant; ‘There are too many apples in the orchard that is more customers than seats and management don’t care.’ She was right. The day after I complained in writing and by phone numerous times and I got nothing but limp apologies. I should add that I am a frequent sorry was a frequent flyer with Emirates and hoped more than expected a satisfactory solution. And wasn’t disappointed. Thing is you file the complaint and never get to speak to anyone in authority. Never had a problem with inflight attendants. Just annoyed that I booked a flight, paid in full and the seats I paid for and were confirmed never existed. I know airlines have policies to overbook flights but. Bottom line is I sucked it up learnt my lesson and moved on. 

Any reason why you didn’t check in online? 
I guess the lesson learnt is to check in online before you reach the airport or risk getting bumped. 

6 hours ago, BenStark said:

A lot more information is needed before you'll get any informed replies.  Origin of flight to Dubai being key as that will dictate any legal requirements.  Also flight timing of the first flight, were they given boarding passes for both flights at the first check-in, was it on time, booked directly with the airline or through an agent etc.

The time to kick up a fuss was in the airport when they first learnt of the delay. First thing is to find out what your options are, either at the airline desk if there is one, or at check in. Refund, hotel or whatever. 16 hours would be way over the acceptable limit. I reckon hotel and next available flight. But you have to fight for it!

To the OP.  You didn’t provide enough information.  But you should google something like airline compensation or something like that from that country.  And get official rules and regulations regarding airline compensation from the country of origin. Then see if there is any compensation at all according to the circumstances involved.  Not all circumstances are entitled to compensation.  
Here you are mostly going to get opinions.  You need official information. 

18 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Flight was from Brussels

Then its highly likely to be covered fully - refund or alternative flight + fixed compenastion + reasonable food and accomodation.  The only way the airline can get out of paying is if they can show the delay was not their fault.  They even have to pay if the aircraft breaks down.

I've had this twice. Once a few years ago with KLM. They tried to argue but backed down once I quoted the law.  Last time was with Qatar last year when their plane had a technical fault at Manchester.

Your friends case may be a little more complicated as the airline are claiming a different departure time.  Your friends need to prove the departure time and that they have not been notified of any changes.  If they can, its quite straightforward and the airline know it is. Compensation - I should remember but its around £600 euros - per person.  I'll try to find a link to the rules but they are on Google.

Edited by MangoKorat
as not is

54 minutes ago, swm59nj said:

To the OP.  You didn’t provide enough information.  But you should google something like airline compensation or something like that from that country.  And get official rules and regulations regarding airline compensation from the country of origin. Then see if there is any compensation at all according to the circumstances involved.  Not all circumstances are entitled to compensation.  
Here you are mostly going to get opinions.  You need official information. 

🙄