Improve home security suggestions?

Family opposite have two sons in their early 20’s. Both drug addicts. Father likes a drink and is light-fingered. He has previously called the police on his sons for stealing. Yesterday one of the sons burgled the house next door to us, a Japanese guy with a Thai wife. They were both staying away from home overnight. The Japanese guy was alerted by motion sensors via his mobile app. They rang the police who caught the lad in their house trying to crack the safe. 

Police asked us for any CCTV footage but our cameras don’t cover the Jap’s perimeter. Stepdaughter took photos of the cops arresting the lad. 

Been trying to think how to improve security? We don’t have a safe so that’s one thing. The wife’s gold is the most valuable item we have. 14 year old Acer laptop and 40 inch 5 year old Aconatic TV aren’t worth much. Niece has the latest Samsung mobile provided by her employers plus a laptop, stepdaughter iPhone 8 and iPad, myself iPhone 8 and wife iPhone 7. No house insurance but it’s something to consider?

Could contain:

• Agree 1

You can consider, see what are the most vulnerable places to get in your house.

Good doors, windows with locks on it, having bars?

Then electronics, the several detecting sensors. You already have cam, is it giving alarm on detection or just cams?

Once had uninvited people in the house, some later I invested in PVC doors , windows which have a 5 point lock.

3 on to be opened side and 2 points on hing side.

It is  a weird experience, when you wake up, going down to go to work and see things and you think "was I sleep walking last night? What did I do?"  Amazingly, they didnt took much. But it took me about 4 months to sleep well again.

You never know what they have in mind. I was asleep and they were in.

Edited by xtrnuno41
additional txt
  • Thanks 3

25 minutes ago, xtrnuno41 said:

You can consider, see what are the most vulnerable places to get in your house.

Good doors, windows with locks on it, having bars?

Then electronics, the several detecting sensors. You already have cam, is it giving alarm on detection or just cams?

Once had uninvited people in the house, some later I invested in PVC doors , windows which have a 5 point lock.

3 on to be opened side and 2 points on handle side.

It is  a weird experience, when you wake up, going down to go to work and see things and you think "was I sleep walking last night? What did I do?"  Amazingly, they didnt took much. But it took me about 4 months to sleep well again.

You never know what they have in mind. I was asleep and they were in.

Good suggestions thanks. It would take a lot of work to make my doors and windows secure. The local builder fitted metal sliding patio doors everywhere. No bars. The windows are the same type, they just don't go all the way to the floor! They are so low you can step through them. A sliding lever 'locks' them. If you rattle them back and forth three or four times the lever slides to open position. Our CCTV was originally four cameras with no sound. We have since added another four, this time with sound and lights. No motion detection. It must be very unnerving to be burgled when in your house. My Thai mother-in-law's house was burgled whilst the family were asleep. Amazingly, the only things that they took were plates from the kitchen. Bizarre!   

9 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Good suggestions thanks. It would take a lot of work to make my doors and windows secure. The local builder fitted metal sliding patio doors everywhere. No bars. The windows are the same type, they just don't go all the way to the floor! They are so low you can step through them. A sliding lever 'locks' them. If you rattle them back and forth three or four times the lever slides to open position. Our CCTV was originally four cameras with no sound. We have since added another four, this time with sound and lights. No motion detection. It must be very unnerving to be burgled when in your house. My Thai mother-in-law's house was burgled whilst the family were asleep. Amazingly, the only things that they took were plates from the kitchen. Bizarre!   

If you want security, you need to made the modifications to make the home secure. Very honestly, iron grating covering your doors and windows is not that expensive. Upgrading your security is worth the price.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, connda said:

If you want security, you need to made the modifications to make the home secure. Very honestly, iron grating covering your doors and windows is not that expensive. Upgrading your security is worth the price.

So live in a prison - no thanks.

Also a fire risk in an emergency.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Morch said:

From pics, doesn't seem like enough space for such a dog.

Think it's more of an 'alarm-system-barking-dog' situation.

Quite correct, we don't have any grass or flower beds even. Tiles and potted plants for easy maintenance. Enough space to park two vehicles and an area with table and chairs for karaoke. 

27 minutes ago, connda said:

Sounds like the best solution. Fixed gratings over the windows and substantial openable 'gates' at front and back doors. 

3 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Quite correct, we don't have any grass or flower beds even. Tiles and potted plants for easy maintenance. Enough space to park two vehicles and an area with table and chairs for karaoke. 

Size doesn't matter for barks. Our is friendly (or cowardly) enough with people. Goes mental if someone touches the gate, the fence. With time it's easy to know whether it's routine (garbage collection, postman) or something else (construction worker from next door went over the fence).

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

In my case they took a half a pack of milk(thirsty, loving milk?), almost empty pack of tobacco (new package was right under it !), my wallet with papers of car/motor, bank pass. Someone later returned it, as they threw it away. Only my winning lottery tickets they took out, not that much and could even claim at insurance, 555.

All the rest was still in, but already had blocked bank pass. Was feeling happy with the return, otherwise had to replace car and motor papers.

I think, maybe my alarm clock going off, warned, interrupted them, as I had silver old coins in cabinet and they didnt take/found it. Only those things mentioned before, also as you stated bizar.

You told me about your doors and windows and they look a bit rubbish, 555.

So you can gain safety on those, to make them proper closed and locked.

With PIR (passive infra red detectors) , you can have guarding on those items, connected to a light and/or alarm. Or have stand alone devices, as shown. Not expensive, but there are more expensive ones.

Another detector is a "microwave" detector.

A simple device not so expensive, is a magnet controlled switch. Mostly used for windows, but you can put them also on doors.

PIR + alarm on batteries. This one is with infra red light, not expensive.

PIR Motion Sensor Alarm Wireless Home Garage Caravan 2 Remote Controls ...

As it says with microwaves. different technology then IR 

Microwave Motion Sensor, Manufacturer, Dealers Motion Sensors, India, Delhi

This one contains 2 pieces. The small part is a magnet, which triggers a switch in the other, electronic part.

Instantly with an alarm and working on batteries.

Swann Indoor Door and Window Sensor in the Door & Window Sensors ...

First and third are not that expensive. But you can make it as expensive as you want.

Third is real easy and cheap. If magnet is too far away from electronics, then instant alarm.

You have to fit it right and keep in mind to change the battery once in a while. Probably in Thailand use with common batteries. AAA or AA or 9 volt block.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

10 hours ago, xtrnuno41 said:

In my case they took a half a pack of milk(thirsty, loving milk?), almost empty pack of tobacco (new package was right under it !), my wallet with papers of car/motor, bank pass. Someone later returned it, as they threw it away. Only my winning lottery tickets they took out, not that much and could even claim at insurance, 555.

All the rest was still in, but already had blocked bank pass. Was feeling happy with the return, otherwise had to replace car and motor papers.

I think, maybe my alarm clock going off, warned, interrupted them, as I had silver old coins in cabinet and they didnt take/found it. Only those things mentioned before, also as you stated bizar.

You told me about your doors and windows and they look a bit rubbish, 555.

So you can gain safety on those, to make them proper closed and locked.

With PIR (passive infra red detectors) , you can have guarding on those items, connected to a light and/or alarm. Or have stand alone devices, as shown. Not expensive, but there are more expensive ones.

Another detector is a "microwave" detector.

A simple device not so expensive, is a magnet controlled switch. Mostly used for windows, but you can put them also on doors.

PIR + alarm on batteries. This one is with infra red light, not expensive.

PIR Motion Sensor Alarm Wireless Home Garage Caravan 2 Remote Controls ...

As it says with microwaves. different technology then IR 

Microwave Motion Sensor, Manufacturer, Dealers Motion Sensors, India, Delhi

This one contains 2 pieces. The small part is a magnet, which triggers a switch in the other, electronic part.

Instantly with an alarm and working on batteries.

Swann Indoor Door and Window Sensor in the Door & Window Sensors ...

First and third are not that expensive. But you can make it as expensive as you want.

Third is real easy and cheap. If magnet is too far away from electronics, then instant alarm.

You have to fit it right and keep in mind to change the battery once in a while. Probably in Thailand use with common batteries. AAA or AA or 9 volt block.

Thanks very much for the most helpful tips!