Son's UK passport expiry near to date of flight back to UK - Will he be allowed to travel home?

Hello everyone,

I have tried to Google this and I know about the six month passport validity rule for travelling TO another country, say for a holiday, but I can't tell for sure if it applies to travelling back home.

I'm looking at booking a flight for my son (with his Thai mum) to travel home to UK in early April but his UK passport expiry date is April 21st.

As he's travelling home to England and staying in England, does anyone know if this will be an issue?

Thanks everyone for any input.

12 hours ago, theoldgit said:

Yes, he should clear Thai Immigration using his Thai Passport, but check in using his expired UK Passport which shows he doesn’t need a visa.

He is a UK National so is not subject to Immigration control and has an unfettered right of entry, whatever the validity of his passport, even if expired.

He could renew his passport in the UK  in the if he has time.

He should show his Thai Passport when checking in for his return flight, to negate the need for a return ticket, there are no Embarkation Controls when leaving the UK, that role is carried out by the carrier.

Thank you for your reply theoldgit, I am very grateful of the advice on here regarding this. I will renew his passport in the UK for sure as he will be staying for a long time 👍

3 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

False, his son is British and has right to abode.

Why post when you have no idea and give wrong/poor information.

What you state is not even true for a tourist/non British passport holder.

https://www.gov.uk/uk-border-control/before-you-leave-for-the-uk#:~:text=You must have a valid,to come to the UK.

Thank you again Georgealbert 👍😊

49 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

He must enter the UK on his British Passport, otherwise "No Accesses to Public Funds" rule will apply.

Sorry, but the question was about if his son will have a problem entering on his UK passport and then living in UK. Your input really has no or little relevance to that question.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/11/2023 at 4:15 PM, stupidfarang said:

Check with the airline and also UK requirements for nationals traveling on a soon to expire passport. I would not rely on comments on here only to find at the airport when trying to checkin they say no can fly.

That would be the sensible option, but IMO the six month rule is only for going to a different country as a Briton should  be allowed to return to Britain, even with an expired passport.

However, if the flight stopped in a country on the way to Britain that might be a problem.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

That would be the sensible option, but IMO the six month rule is only for going to a different country as a Briton should  be allowed to return to Britain, even with an expired passport.

However, if the flight stopped in a country on the way to Britain that might be a problem.

All sounds good, yet I would prefer to check with the airline and UK passport regulations, as I said "I would not rely on comments on here only to find at the airport when trying to checkin they say no can fly".

• Thumbs Up 2

30 minutes ago, stupidfarang said:

All sounds good, yet I would prefer to check with the airline and UK passport regulations, as I said "I would not rely on comments on here only to find at the airport when trying to checkin they say no can fly".

Yes agree, would be a good idea to get confirmation from Home Office, to take out any check in/airline issue.

Contact details of Home Office for the OP.

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/home-office

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

Yes agree, would be a good idea to get confirmation from Home Office, to take out any check in/airline issue.

It will be for the particular airline that the OP is flying with, rather than the Home Office, to advise on potential check in/airline issues relating to his son!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/11/2023 at 4:04 AM, mattk1 said:

I'm looking at booking a flight for my son (with his Thai mum) to travel home to UK in early April but his UK passport expiry date is April 21st.

As he's travelling home to England and staying in England, does anyone know if this will be an issue?

Thanks everyone for any input.

When using the UK passport for travelling back to UK, expiry date is not an issue. Even with an expired passport people will normally be allowed into their home country.

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, brianthainess said:

He must enter the UK on his British Passport, otherwise "No Accesses to Public Funds" rule will apply.

Thank you brianthainess, however he's only 10 at the moment anyway 😊

9 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

If he doesn't enter on his British passport he'll need a visa!

That sounds like a nightmare scenario.. one which I will try my best to avoid 😄

9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Hi thaibeachlovers, thanks for your reply. You make a very point here, one which I hadn't taken into consideration. Thank you

7 hours ago, stupidfarang said:

Thank you stupidfarang, appreciate your message here 👍

7 hours ago, scorecard said:

Agree, don't leave your son to the 'opinion' of a check-in girl. 

Thank you scorecard 👍

7 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

Once again thank you Georgealbert! Extra mile again 👍👍😊

26 minutes ago, mattk1 said:

Thank you brianthainess, however he's only 10 at the moment anyway 😊

That sounds like a nightmare scenario.. one which I will try my best to avoid 😄

Hi thaibeachlovers, thanks for your reply. You make a very point here, one which I hadn't taken into consideration. Thank you

Thank you stupidfarang, appreciate your message here 👍

Thank you scorecard 👍

Once again thank you Georgealbert! Extra mile again 👍👍😊

Thanks for you reply.

Just trying to help, and I like to post links to show it is more than just my opinion.

Hope it all goes ok with your son.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1