Would you have any banking problems if changing to a tourist visa?

A friend of mine is considering going back to his home country for around 7 months and not applying for a reentry permit.(retirement extension) He hopes to visit Thailand every year for just a few months as a tourist. Will this have any implications on his Thai banks? Withdrawing cash in-bank, getting a new debit card/ bank book etc. Has anyone done this? He plans to keep his phone number.  

• Haha 2

No issue I lived in china for 6 years after being on a work visa in Thailand. Once bank accost is open with visa that’s it but he must maintain minimum amount in account.

Make sure he set up the facial recognition system with his bank before he leave Thailand 

Edited by BangkokAlan
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, bbi1 said:

Why would changing visas or coming in visa exempt have any issues on your current opened bank accounts? lol

Some countries, your residence status affects your bankability.  In the USA, I had a couple of my accounts closed when I moved overseas.  Didn't find out until I tried to use them.  And I'm a US citizen.

I went from WP to visa exempt at Kasikorn Bank with no problem.  Flash forward 2+ years out of the country for Covid, and no issues.  Took a long time in the window to update my new passport number (my old one had expired), but that was just a bunch of forms to fill out.

Banks is weird nowadays.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've done exactly that and the only problem I encountered was when I tried to open a second account. That was refused because I am no longer resident in Thailand. My original account remains open and I use it weekly from abroad.

Edited by MangoKorat
  • Thumbs Up 1

I guess my friend should be pleased with the laughing emoji as that means there should be no problem. I did advise him to consider a reentry permit and continue with retirement extensions at least for the time being as he plans to spend a few months in Thailand every year and keep money here. 

M

They probably wouldn't even notice, until they actually have to do something, like new debit card or passbook.

I go in, and make a withdrawal every few months, and they just make a copy of ID page.  Not sure, but don't think they pay attention to the rest.  They might if you actually need to do something.

I'll add this here albeit not strictly related to thread

When I arrived after long absence from Thailand over three and half years first port of call was the Bank

Firstly to get new Debit card because they had changed to 6 digit pin. Secondly to update the passbook (not strictly required but might as well do it) and thirdly new passport details

First and second points easily sorted plus 100 Baht for new debit card etc

However the initial passport update was a slight problem. In short they wanted to see the old one to compare photographs etc. I like many people (but not all) destroy old passports once expired.

Clearly I couldnt produce it

I had to answer a hoard of questions until they were satisfied it was indeed me. It could be because there was a fair bit in the account well into 6 figures (not massive but more than normal) and they wanted to be assured in their own minds.....good 20 minutes before they were happy

So in short keep your old passports !!   SCB it was

2 hours ago, Chivas said:

I'll add this here albeit not strictly related to thread

When I arrived after long absence from Thailand over three and half years first port of call was the Bank

Firstly to get new Debit card because they had changed to 6 digit pin. Secondly to update the passbook (not strictly required but might as well do it) and thirdly new passport details

First and second points easily sorted plus 100 Baht for new debit card etc

However the initial passport update was a slight problem. In short they wanted to see the old one to compare photographs etc. I like many people (but not all) destroy old passports once expired.

Clearly I couldnt produce it

I had to answer a hoard of questions until they were satisfied it was indeed me. It could be because there was a fair bit in the account well into 6 figures (not massive but more than normal) and they wanted to be assured in their own minds.....good 20 minutes before they were happy

So in short keep your old passports !!   SCB it was

I’m surprised they let you update your passport without the old one, at all. Bangkok Bank outright refused me on that point.

On 11/12/2023 at 6:08 PM, MangoKorat said:

I've done exactly that and the only problem I encountered was when I tried to open a second account. That was refused because I am no longer resident in Thailand. My original account remains open and I use it weekly from

So, you use your debit card abroad without any problems and visit the bank when you're back in Thailand. Do you have to inform the branch every time that you're going abroad again?  Cheers. 

7 hours ago, garygooner said:

So, you use your debit card abroad without any problems and visit the bank when you're back in Thailand. Do you have to inform the branch every time that you're going abroad again?  Cheers. 

Its not the fact that I don't live in Thailand, they won't open a second account because I no longer have a long term visa.  When I opened the account I held a 12 Month Multi Entry Non O based on marriage.  I'm divorced now and until next year, enter on 30 day exempts.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have been banking in Thailand since the 90's. First account was open in Bangkok Bank in Bangkok. That time was on tourist visa or visa exempt but that time was easy to open an account.

About 20 years ago, while I was working in Thailand with work permit, I got a credit card from Bangkok Bank and an American Express gold cards directly from American Express Thailand. Both not secured (didn't need to block any amount to secure the card). 2 years later, I stopped my contract in Thailand, so lost the working permit and worked abroad since then. So never got any new work permit since that time. Both my Bangkok Bank and American Express have been automatically renewed since. Never been asked to deposit any amount in account to secure the card. Few years ago, Bangkok Bank even issued a 2nd Credit Card not secured too. I am not married officially but live with my Thai girlfriend for 18 years now. I requested a supplementary card for her to American Express few years ago and she got it and been renewed automatically without any question or issues.

All these years on visa exempt, tourist visa or 1 year Non O based on my son (from ex wife).

Of course, during all these years, i changed several times passports (renewed because expiration date or renewed because full as I travel a lot) and always updating the bank with new passport details and visa status.

Of course, I have always paid the credit card statements on time, never had any debts and recieving comfortable incomes from abroad.  

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2023 at 1:03 AM, bbi1 said:

Why would changing visas or coming in visa exempt have any issues on your current opened bank accounts? lol

lol? You laugh now.

The countries Thailand is eager to emulate, I've worked in couple, require aliens visa and permit to stay info to be updated or they freeze your account.