Tommy Robinson: Cenotaph clashes could mark return of far-right figure

CharlieH

image.png

As far-right protesters rallied in London bellowing “England til I die” on Saturday, a familiar face was walking out in front.

Tommy Robinson was beaming as a throng of angry men headed towards Whitehall to “defend the Cenotaph” from those protesting over Palestine on Armistice Day, chanting: “We love you Tommy, we do.” He jumped in a taxi before the violence, but was accused of being instrumental in encouraging people to attend.

Since being reinstated on X, formerly known as Twitter, earlier this month, the English Defence League (EDL) founder has experienced a resurgence. Robinson, 40, whose real name is Stephen Christopher Yaxley-Lennon, claims in his latest profile that this is a “new era” for him.

Among those concerned about his return to the mainstream is Nick Lowles, the chief executive of the anti-fascist group, Hope Not Hate. He said: “The fact that all this has blown up around the Cenotaph and the pro-Palestine demos in the fortnight that he’s come back on to X, I think has obviously been significant,” he said.

“I think it just highlights how important banning hate figures on social media is, because even though they can go on to fringe platforms, it’s much more difficult to speak to people outside their bubble.”

Lowles, whose biography of Robinson, Tommy, was published last year, said Robinson was careful to appear moderate in his videos and had not been there when protesters clashed with police on Saturday, but he had set the scene for what happened next.

“He turns up, leads the crowd down Whitehall, and then leads a group up into Chinatown and then jumps in a taxi and goes away,” he said. “But he has lit the fuse. He’s wound people up.

“His videos are powerful. His email list is several hundreds of thousands people. He’d send out emails to the list with a video embedded in the email, saying we must take action, we must take to the streets. He winds people up. He’s the Pied Piper.”

FULL STORY

Guardian.png

• Love It 1

7 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

No, I also didn't say that he was a racist .

I didn't say that he was a racist and I also didn't say that he wasn't a racist 

So, what do you think  -  or do you want to spend your life as a splinter ar5e?

Do you think Tommy Robinson is a racist or not. The choices are:-

Yes

No

I don't really know.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

I have no time for people who won't answer a question, that they themselves have asked.

The dimmest type of trolling....

I asked a poster why they thought Tommy Robinson was a racist after they stated that he was  racist .

As I haven't also stated he is a racist, how do you expect my to answer my own question ?

If I knew the answer to my question, then I wouldn't need to ask the question, now would I

• Confused 2
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

I asked a poster why they thought Tommy Robinson was a racist after they stated that he was  racist .

As I haven't also stated he is a racist, how do you expect my to answer my own question ?

If I knew the answer to my question, then I wouldn't need to ask the question, now would I

Seems that some posters are lacking in reading comprehension skills, and I don't mean you. :wink: 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, James105 said:

Tommy Robinson is very clearly anti-Islam, which is an ideology and not something you can be racist against.   As far as I can make out, in comparison to the barbarians that raped and murdered hundreds of Jews for the crime of being Jewish, he is not quite in the same ballpark as his crimes seem to be quite minor in lying to the bank about a mortgage and a bit of minor thuggery when he was younger.   

I'm sure when the religion of peace actually becomes a religion of peace and dare I say reforms itself, even the likes of Tommy Robinson will cease to be anti-Islam, in much the same way that he is not anti-Buddhism, or anti-Hindu or anti any other religion.   

I think if people actively tried to seek out what he has done that is supposedly racist, they will find very little evidence of him actually being so, but that requires some kind of effort and it is much easier for people to be told what to think about someone rather than forming an opinion of their own.    

Does he have the eloquence of someone like Douglas Murray who sings from the same song sheet?  No, of course not.   But there is not really much difference between them.

More ignorance laden nonsense laced with false equivalence.

I suggest you read the UK laws on racism and hate speech, educate yourself.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

57 minutes ago, James105 said:

"I think if people actively tried to seek out what he has done that is supposedly racist, they will find very little evidence of him actually being so, but that requires some kind of effort and it is much easier for people to be told what to think about someone rather than forming an opinion of their own."

Like I said, it is much too difficult for some to have an opinion of their own, especially amongst those who use the phrase "educate yourself" which is just a phrase that is used by people who are not able to provide an argument to back up what they have said and are hopeful that by using it that it ends all debate on the matter.

Being anti-Islam is no more racist than being anti-Scientology. 

Fan boy thinks Yaxley Lennon isn’t a racist.

“Like I said, it is much too difficult for some to have an opinion of their own”

For the record, I don’t get my opinions from Yaxley Lennon.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1