Thailand prepares for onset of cool season as northern front approaches

webfact

image.jpeg
Camping at Khao Takhian Ngo,Phetchabun. Picture courtesy of Hug Thailand

Thailand is bracing for a weather shift as a cool front from the north is set to lower temperatures starting tomorrow, signalling the onset of the cool season. This front, according to reports from the Thai Meteorological Department (TMD), was making its way over the region during the weekend, bringing with it strong winds.

The shift in weather won’t be without challenges, however. A southeastern wind is predicted to trigger rain and thunderstorms predominantly in the lower part of the east, the northeast, the central region and Bangkok, along with its neighbouring provinces.

As per the department’s forecast, the south and the Gulf of Thailand are likewise expected to experience rainfall. The department has issued a warning to fishermen operating in these areas regarding high waves and strong winds,

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-11-13

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

Madam has already got her arctic gear out (woolly hat and scarf given to her by my parents) although she's not actually worn it yet.

The winter bed comforter has been taken out of storage and is being aired as we speak. Madam will spend most nights rolled up in it anyway.

Meanwhile I shall continue to lounge around in my shorts and sandals, I may put a T on early in the mornings.

Are you up in the mountains?  I'm still learning about the different regions of the country and how cool they get during this season. 

• Like 1

Just now, Bobthegimp said:

Are you up in the mountains?  I'm still learning about the different regions of the country and how cool they get during this season. 

Nah, we're in Northern Bangkok.
It's not even approaching 20oC (on the way down), my lady likes to be prepared!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Dmaxdan said:

Bring it on.

This seems to be the hottest November that I can remember within the 14 years of living here in Chiang Mai provence.

In Isaan.....blue sky, intense heat everyday.....slightly cooler on a morning, 26C at 6am.....but still grinds you down.

On 11/13/2023 at 2:39 PM, John Drake said:

I can smell the wood fires burning already.

Cant wait,

We love getting up early in the morning and cooking breakfast on one of these Thai ,traditional clay barbeques . A few weeks they were trimming the trees from around the electric lines , and they left a lot of the small twigs. 

This morning me and the wife went out and collected a bunch, Te dogs also had a ball and were very helpful Nong Noi kept trying to steal my twigs and run away.  She is the black and white one on the far end. Smartest dog I ever had. 

Could contain:

• Like 2

One of my earliest memories of living in Bangkok (20 years ago) is walking out of the entrance to my Khlong San apartment building one December morning in a T shirt and seeing the 2 security guards sitting huddled up in their Parka's. 

"Sawatdee tan chao, wan nee na rak chai mai?" to which the reply was "nowww, nowww" :laugh: - I think it was 22 degrees and sunny.

(Note: I use the term 'security' loosely, they both had day jobs and were often fast asleep when I came home at night. The 'cold' had most likely kept them awake which was probably the main complaint)

39 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

One of my earliest memories of living in Bangkok (20 years ago) is walking out of the entrance to my Khlong San apartment building one December morning in a T shirt and seeing the 2 security guards sitting huddled up in their Parka's. 

"Sawatdee tan chao, wan nee na rak chai mai?" to which the reply was "nowww, nowww" :laugh: - I think it was 22 degrees and sunny.

(Note: I use the term 'security' loosely, they both had day jobs and were often fast asleep when I came home at night. The 'cold' had most likely kept them awake which was probably the main complaint)

I think tolerance for the cold has been bred out of them and conversy tolerance for the heat in. 

In the summer I am wearing the minimum allowable by law, and I am still swatting, and I see them wearing long pants, a long sleeve jacket and the ninja hat and mask many of them wear. 

If I was dressed like that I would literally die.

Edited by sirineou