Cabinet Approves Sugar Price Rise

snoop1130

1699944123_230200-tnamcot-768x431.jpg

BANGKOK, Nov 14 (TNA) – The Cabinet has resolved to increase the domestic price of sugar by 2 baht per kilogram, aimed at assisting sugarcane farmers.

However, an additional increase of 2 baht to go to an environmental fund has not yet been approved, as concerns about its impact on consumers persist.

Mr. Phumtham Wechayachai, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Commerce, stated that the decision was made after a comprehensive review from various sectors, especially farmers, the Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives, and the Ministry of Commerce.

Full story: Thai News Agency 2023-11-14

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

If the cabinet would focus on the really important things in this country .......... the less the government interferes, the more the market mechanisms can work. Another interesting fact is, for shoppers in i.e. Makro, that at times the customer is forced to buy at least five kgs of sugar. This has nothing to do with the difference of retail or wholesale but maybe it is a store operator's unique idea to increase sales. 

Mitr Phol Group wins this round, with the help of Capt. Thamanat Prompow.

Sugar was in the basket of price-controlled items recently renewed for another year.

Sugar producers said, "not so fast". They made the case that price controls contravene various international trade agreements.

18 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Now 0,2 baht will reach the farmers

Exactly. They should increase the wholesale price, not the retail price, and guarantee the farmers a minimum of an extra 1.5 THB a kilo. Stuff the middleman. The sugar industry in Thailand you can see in the aisles full of drinks, sweets, biscuits and cakes in any supermarket. How many Thais actually buy sugar by the kilo, and what for? A teaspoon in the som tam/geng maybe?

1 hour ago, bradiston said:

Exactly. They should increase the wholesale price, not the retail price, and guarantee the farmers a minimum of an extra 1.5 THB a kilo. Stuff the middleman. The sugar industry in Thailand you can see in the aisles full of drinks, sweets, biscuits and cakes in any supermarket. How many Thais actually buy sugar by the kilo, and what for? A teaspoon in the som tam/geng maybe?

Oj, there are many buying sugar per kilo. Everyone I talk to does it. They use so much sugar in everything, so it terrible.

Edited by Gottfrid

2 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Oj, there are many buying sugar per kilo. Everyone I talk to does it. They use so much sugar in everything, so it terrible.

I think there is a special menu for foreigners which includes a lot of sugar. Some curries are naturally sweet, paneng, green. We have all but eliminated bitter as an acceptable taste in our cooking. What do we do with a bitter gourd? Spit it out probably. So the Thais cater for what they perceive as western tastes. I don't think they use a lot of sugar at home, but maybe I'm wrong. When I first came to Thailand almost 40 years ago, the food my wife's family ate was completely devoid of sugar. I personally found it unpalatable, to say the least. But Thai sweets I believe have been around since the year dot.

My mother in law took it into her head to slip me a packet of green powder to cure a stomach ailment she thought I had. It was bitter like you've never had bitter!

The consumption of sugary drinks is horrific. The government needs to tax that off the shelves.

7 minutes ago, bradiston said:

I think there is a special menu for foreigners which includes a lot of sugar. Some curries are naturally sweet, paneng, green. We have all but eliminated bitter as an acceptable taste in our cooking. What do we do with a bitter gourd? Spit it out probably. So the Thais cater for what they perceive as western tastes. I don't think they use a lot of sugar at home, but maybe I'm wrong. When I first came to Thailand almost 40 years ago, the food my wife's family ate was completely devoid of sugar. I personally found it unpalatable, to say the least. But Thai sweets I believe have been around since the year dot.

My mother in law took it into her head to slip me a packet of green powder to cure a stomach ailment she thought I had. It was bitter like you've never had bitter!

The consumption of sugary drinks is horrific. The government needs to tax that off the shelves.

Regarding Sugar in home, yes you are wrong. I have 24 years experience lining in Thailand. That in cities and many villages. Their sugar consumption in home are astronomic.

Nothing wrong with a soup that contains bitter gourd. I like it.

Regarding sugary drinks, people must have a sensible attitude to it. I do not believe in way to forbid sales or overtaxing of products. It the people that must get smarter. 

7 minutes ago, bradiston said:

I think there is a special menu for foreigners which includes a lot of sugar. Some curries are naturally sweet, paneng, green. We have all but eliminated bitter as an acceptable taste in our cooking. What do we do with a bitter gourd? Spit it out probably. So the Thais cater for what they perceive as western tastes. I don't think they use a lot of sugar at home, but maybe I'm wrong.

It's for themselves, not for foreigners. I've never been able to stop them using it in the cooking at home. Every noodle restaurant has sugar on the table to add to the bowl. There's an interesting video here that starts with that very topic:

11 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Regarding Sugar in home, yes you are wrong. I have 24 years experience lining in Thailand. That in cities and many villages. Their sugar consumption in home are astronomic.

Nothing wrong with a soup that contains bitter gourd. I like it.

Regarding sugary drinks, people must have a sensible attitude to it. I do not believe in way to forbid sales or overtaxing of products. It the people that must get smarter. 

But how do they consume such vast amounts of sugar? In geng? Laab? Yam? Kanom? Yes maybe. On their Rice Krispies? In their coffee?

Anyway, what difference is 2 THB on a kilo going to make?

19 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

It's for themselves, not for foreigners. I've never been able to stop them using it in the cooking at home. Every noodle restaurant has sugar on the table to add to the bowl. There's an interesting video here that starts with that very topic:

It's true, but there is also vinegar, chili powder, fish sauce and other stuff. Sugar is not the culprit every time. It's just a flavouring. I use erythritol which looks identical to refined white sugar, is equally sweet, but isn't absorbed by the gut. Inexpensive too. If you put it on a bowl on the table, nobody would know the difference. Sugarcane and palm oil cultivation and consumption are totally destroying the planet. Tax it off the shelves. People won't change their ways.

49 minutes ago, bradiston said:

But how do they consume such vast amounts of sugar? In geng? Laab? Yam? Kanom? Yes maybe. On their Rice Krispies? In their coffee?

Anyway, what difference is 2 THB on a kilo going to make?

Not much for the farmers.