220 volt NON USB speakers for desktop pc/laptop - help anyone?

cliveshep

I use an old Win 10 Dell Latitude laptop that does not have the power to run USB speakers and the inside speaker is too quiet for old ears. Either that or USB speakers are too quiet anyway. So for many years I have used a 220 volt mains powered pair of stereo speakers that have a jack that plugs into the lappie. First the on/off switch started to fail so I pulled the main speaker with the little pcb board apart and sprayed it with switch cleaner. That made it work but in the process the volume control got damaged - clumsy me - so nothing works any more. 

I got 2 sets of USB powered speakers - utterly useless - cannot hear anything, insufficient volume. If I could source a volume control for the little pcb board I got a de-soldering iron and all the necessary tools to swap the broken control out if I could find one which I cannot. 220 volt speakers are old technology it seems so please - if anyone has a working set from the UK or wherever going cheap please let me know - silent movies are not my cup of tea. BUT please - no USB powered ones.

Thanks everyone.

4 minutes ago, gargamon said:

I've owned lots of speakers. None of them except subwoofers required them to be plugged into the mains. You need an amplifier to take the output from your computer, up the output, and feed the speakers.

Or just use headphones. 

16 minutes ago, cliveshep said:

use an old Win 10 Dell Latitude laptop that does not have the power to run USB speakers and the inside speaker is too quiet for old ears. Either that or USB speakers are too quiet anyway. So for many years I have used a 220 volt mains powered pair of stereo speakers that have a jack that plugs into the lappie. First the on/off switch started to fail so I pulled the main speaker with the little pcb board apart and sprayed it with switch cleaner. That made it work but in the process the volume control got damaged - clumsy me - so nothing works any more. 

I got 2 sets of USB powered speakers - utterly useless - cannot hear anything, insufficient volume. If I could source a volume control for the little pcb board I got a de-soldering iron and all the necessary tools to swap the broken control out if I could find one which I cannot. 220 volt speakers are old technology it seems so please - if anyone has a working set from the UK or wherever going cheap please let me know - silent movies are not my cup of tea. BUT please - no USB powered ones.

Thanks everyone.

Of course there are lots from which you can choose. But how much are you willing to spend on them?

They are usually described as 2.1 speakers. Left and right speaker boxes plus a subwoofer for low frequencies. 
I use mine as part of a home entertainment system. Has a subwoofer with an 8” speaker, relatively powerful. 
But you might prefer something smaller. 

• Like 1

My laptop built-in speakers recently became completely distorted.

I was looking for speakers that would plug into the headphone jack which I have had in the past.

My friend said just get Bluetooth speakers which I had no idea about.

So I just bought a set of bluetooth speakers, they are plugged in across the room, independent of computer power supply.

Inexpensive too.

Is your computer bluetooth capable?

I find "Windows 10 (Version 1903) supports Bluetooth version 5.0" with Google so maybe.

If it is Blue tooth speakers are an easy fix.

If not I don't know.

No doubt some more knowledgeable types will weigh in.

PS also found:

"How do I turn on Bluetooth on my Dell Latitude Windows 10?

Turn Bluetooth on or off in Windows

Select the Start button, then select Settings > Devices > Bluetooth & other devices.

Select the Bluetooth toggle to turn it On or Off."

So maybe Bluetooth speakers will work for you.

Edited by cdemundo

Just look around the typical electronic shops and you will find sets of amplifiers connected to mains and two speakers. Input through the audio output plug at your PC.

Very basic and cheap stuff often less than 500 Baht.

Not for the audiophile but good enough for typical sound applications at the PC.

44 minutes ago, cliveshep said:

I use an old Win 10 Dell Latitude laptop that does not have the power to run USB speakers and the inside speaker is too quiet for old ears. Either that or USB speakers are too quiet anyway. So for many years I have used a 220 volt mains powered pair of stereo speakers that have a jack that plugs into the lappie. First the on/off switch started to fail so I pulled the main speaker with the little pcb board apart and sprayed it with switch cleaner. That made it work but in the process the volume control got damaged - clumsy me - so nothing works any more. 

Thanks everyone.

This is the kind of thing to which I am referring: https://shopee.co.th/Aconatic-ชุดลำโพง-มินิโฮมเธียเตอร์-บลูธูท-รุ่น-AN-SP150-(รับประกัน-1-ปี)-New-!!-i.30073588.17181789009

Plugs into the mains. Has a connecting lead with a 3.5mm plug to go from your laptop to the speakers. Some will have a Bluetooth option that will allow you to dispense with the connecting lead. 
There are some sound demonstrations of the model shown within the reviews on that page. That way you can decide if they are good enough for you. 

Edited by NextG
  • Like 1

For movies on big screen TV I have an Onkyo amp and Polk tower speakers, which I am about to upgrade to the Reserve series soon.

For PC use I have very old Creative T20 which I believe is not on the market.

Edifier has taken over Creative market share on PC speakers.

This one looks interesting: Edefier MR4, about 3200B on Shopee.

Edited by Thailand J
  • Like 1

Wow, guys, thanks so much for all the input. Forgive me if I tell you my lovely Thai wife has trumped all of you - with this from Lazada:   https://www.lazada.co.th/products/vr-6-pin-20-b50kb100k-1-i2761938886-s17361932658.html?

Costs 15 baht and for a pensioner 15 baht is quite affordable! 

I have one of those electric sucker de-soldering tools in my little box of tricks and I've already taken out the B50k 6-pin control in anticipation of the replacement. I'm quite pleased with myself - spent all my working life in Construction, hammers and power tools were more my line and digger and telehandler driving so it shows old dogs can still learn new tricks!

Thanks again guys. If I cock this up I'll be glad of those answers!

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2023 at 9:45 PM, cliveshep said:

Wow, guys, thanks so much for all the input. Forgive me if I tell you my lovely Thai wife has trumped all of you - with this from Lazada:   https://www.lazada.co.th/products/vr-6-pin-20-b50kb100k-1-i2761938886-s17361932658.html?

Costs 15 baht and for a pensioner 15 baht is quite affordable! 

I have one of those electric sucker de-soldering tools in my little box of tricks and I've already taken out the B50k 6-pin control in anticipation of the replacement. I'm quite pleased with myself - spent all my working life in Construction, hammers and power tools were more my line and digger and telehandler driving so it shows old dogs can still learn new tricks!

Thanks again guys. If I cock this up I'll be glad of those answers!

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

So? What happened?

Edited by NextG

What happened? Well, I de-soldered the old 6-pin component off the pcb and fitted the Lazada one. It all works perfectly except for a persistent mains hum from the speakers which it has always had. Presumably a duff electronic thingy somewhere buy I am ignorant of these things. I was a Building Contractor before, not an audio engineer.

BUT........

Confession time. Re-booting the lappie the next day with the USB speakers still plugged it and wow.............high volume from the speakers. So the repaired ones go in the cupboard as spares. The USB set are presumably plug n' play and the lappie adjusted drivers to suit them. The sound is good, volume fantastic, and I got egg on face! I am so pleased I can tell you, they are far better speakers than my old ones and take up less room on my desk. So to everyone who tried to help, in a similar situation you should advice a re-boot first it seems. 

Thanks all for your input.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cliveshep said:

What happened? Well, I de-soldered the old 6-pin component off the pcb and fitted the Lazada one. It all works perfectly except for a persistent mains hum from the speakers which it has always had. Presumably a duff electronic thingy somewhere buy I am ignorant of these things. I was a Building Contractor before, not an audio engineer.

BUT........

Confession time. Re-booting the lappie the next day with the USB speakers still plugged it and wow.............high volume from the speakers. So the repaired ones go in the cupboard as spares. The USB set are presumably plug n' play and the lappie adjusted drivers to suit them. The sound is good, volume fantastic, and I got egg on face! I am so pleased I can tell you, they are far better speakers than my old ones and take up less room on my desk. So to everyone who tried to help, in a similar situation you should advice a re-boot first it seems. 

Thanks all for your input.

Glad it all worked out. 

On 11/26/2023 at 9:51 AM, cliveshep said:

It is unlikely to be a “duff electronic thingy” electronic thingies generally are either working or not.

It is almost certainly that the computer and speakers have different ground planes and you are hearing the effect of them.

The cure is to bond the ground planes together (or possibly totally isolate them) this will stop the hum. You may also be able to add an electronic thingy or 2 on the connector which will filter the interference. You can probably buy a filter cheaply however you need an actual electronics capable tech to diagnose. This is often a 2 minute job for someone like that.

Conversely you may well be able to get a parts fitter to add bits that may (or may not) work again a quick job but with a rather more random chance of success with a chance of being told it’s impossible (though what is really meant is that they don’t know how to do it)

The other option is to use battery powered speakers, they virtually guarantee no hum

Edited by sometimewoodworker

Thanks for that but as I posted on my update the USB speakers work perfectly, no hum, plenty of volume, good clear sound. If only I had known that a reboot would have solved the problem it would have saved me hours of work and pestering everyone on here. Still, now got other problems to worry about, the speakers can go into storage for emergency use if necessary.