How was the last week for you?

bignok

5 hours ago, charleskerins said:

looks like good workmanship   do they do 16" centers here?

Thank you!! I am retired . and finally I have time to do what I want

Usually you do 16" on center ( OC) to accommodate 2x4 drywall .

In the instance of the sala, Sera wood floor board calls for 40 cm (16") OC joist  spacing .

My floor joist are 24" oc . I have not decided what I will use for flooring, If I go with conwood or cerra floor board, I will have to put extra bracing, but I am toying with the idea of putting down composite board 4x8 (is similar to cement board) and lay a noce slate tile on it. (the floor joists are 3x4 steel , the periphery is 4x4 so there is no bounce at all, so if I do this I will leave it as is. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

You know all that after only 17 posts, wow, I'm impressed, do you read tea leaves too!

Evidently you can't read them either, and everyone has to start again sometime. Is the amount of post the most important thing to you? how about the emojis?  I used to check out Thai Visa years back, until I could no longer take the old know it alls and their power trips of continually giving bad advice whether you asked for it or not. We'll see how long I can take it now, not starting out good with the problems with the site.

2 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

You don't seem to understand that many longer term expats want to help others by passing along information they've learned over the years, especially those who are seeking help. If any of that causes you problems, remember, nobody forces you to read any of of it. If you point your cursor over the posters name, a box will appear that contains three options, one of them is "ignore", press it and you'll never even see posts from people you don't want  to read.....which is exactly what I am going to do now with you, goodbye.

What do you mean I don't understand? Months of reading post on this website, without being a member, to see if there might be some useful Tax info. (There is not much) and reading everything you posted almost non stop, (do you sleep with your phone or laptop?) I am sure it's incredulous to you that someone may not like or appreciate you, but there are a handful on here just like you that post even more useless crap and have arrogant and condescending opinions about everything. You think being a smart ass old man is going to make you anymore popular than you already think you are? Long term expats only grow worse with age, they complain more, look down their noses at everyone, don't have respect for the locals, and have unearned superiority complexes based solely on just being in country longer, and always seem to believe they are helping "Newbies", I seem to recognize you from TV and you are not anymore impressive than you were back then, and as much as you'd like to think you're an Ubon Joe, you are as far away from that guy as you could ever be.  I am sure you will have a moderator get rid of my comments, but no worries, because this site is like the Thai government, it is unreliable, dragging and I have not gained anything I didn't already know, so I will Adios MF'r and stay away from this useless crap, but YOU carry on in this sad little world you dwell in.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sirineou said:

Thank you!! I am retired . and finally I have time to do what I want

Usually you do 16" on center ( OC) to accommodate 2x4 drywall .

In the instance of the sala, Sera wood floor board calls for 40 cm (16") OC joist  spacing .

My floor joist are 24" oc . I have not decided what I will use for flooring, If I go with conwood or cerra floor board, I will have to put extra bracing, but I am toying with the idea of putting down composite board 4x8 (is similar to cement board) and lay a noce slate tile on it. (the floor joists are 3x4 steel , the periphery is 4x4 so there is no bounce at all, so if I do this I will leave it as is. 

Interesting ,doesn't look like steel is it painted?How is it connected? Welded/bolted ?  composite board and cement board much different in the states

3 minutes ago, charleskerins said:

Interesting ,doesn't look like steel is it painted?How is it connected? Welded/bolted ?  composite board and cement board much different in the states

For the most part it was welded , some of the roof beams were attached with L brackets because of the complex angles. 

The steel was first painted a light brown and then the corner posts and the perimeter of the ceiling received a wood grain faux finish. If I had to do it again I would buy a Mig welder, Stick welding is difficult. 

If you ever decide to do something like this, PM me and I will share things that I learned as I was doing this. 

woodgrain.jpg.41811f9ad78df8e36bcdc8d2c3f51497.jpg

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, charleskerins said:

composite board and cement board much different in the states

Yea I know, but there are so many of us here from different countries that use different terms, so I thought I would use both terms so that all would have an idea of what I was talking about.

Here in Thailand they cell a a think composite board that IMO is better than the cement board we get in the US, and it comes in 4x8 lengths rather than the (if I remember correctly) 3x4 Hardie board (cement) in the USA 

7 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Yea I know, but there are so many of us here from different countries that use different terms, so I thought I would use both terms so that all would have an idea of what I was talking about.

Here in Thailand they cell a a think composite board that IMO is better than the cement board we get in the US, and it comes in 4x8 lengths rather than the (if I remember correctly) 3x4 Hardie board (cement) in the USA 

Yes hardie board 3 x 4 heavy   use a driver to install .  Left all my tools at home with oldest son (tools seem hard to find here), welding isn't in my skill set.You did a really nice job.

Bit of a slow week, but...

Bought insurance and tags for my new vehicle. Cruised down the Cholmarkwithi Bridge and checked out Bang Saen Beach on drive home.

Had lunch, bought the missus a new pair of specs and hit a movie at Terminal 21 Pattaya...the 3rd installment of the Thai Indie trilogy Undertaker.

Started planning a meetup next year for a S Africa (Kruger) Safari with a couple couples from The States whom I haven't seen in years.

Finalized next months 2 week road trip to Khao Yai, Pak Chong and Surin.

Edited and filed a couple hundred nature and wildlife pics from our 2 week Chiang Mai/Chiang Dao/Mae Rim trip last month. 

Cooked up a vegan Thanksgiving feast and watched golf and a fair share of both college and pro American football 🏈

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

Well, I wondering comes asennow back or is this the end, I searching on Google and got different messages about this like they are bankrupt, and they are trying to sell the website.

But, they are here again.

I think it is probably the case that forums such as this are probably not that viable anymore as commercial ventures. Therefore I suspect that the long term prospects are not that good.

Whilst some of the characters on here can be irritating, it bears no comparison with "Creaky Floor", where the general tone is far more aggressive and bad tempered. So I hope it survives.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, charleskerins said:

composite board and cement board much different in the states

44 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Now that the forum is back, is anyone noticing how much slower it is now, compared to before? I most definitely do not see any improvement. Also harder to get onto the site, from various browsers.

Absolutely, not enjoying this at all, need sorting. 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, charleskerins said:

Yes hardie board 3 x 4 heavy   use a driver to install .  Left all my tools at home with oldest son (tools seem hard to find here), welding isn't in my skill set.You did a really nice job.

Thank you

Stick welding is not my strong point also. I had done a bit of oxyacetylene welding back then, and I was pretty good at it, so I thought I would also be good at stick welding (Arc) . I was surprised how bad I was at it, a totally different ball game. I just practices on a couple of pieces of scrap , and spot welded first and then tap tap I finish the weld. Trust me it required a lot of grinder. 

I understand that gas-less Mig welding is a lot easier. The price on them has started to come down alot.  If you are going to buy a welder, get a Mig. Going to the states for christmas, as soon as I come back, I am getting one. 

But if you don't want to deal with welding you have a couple of options. 

First is getting someone else to do it. Thais are pretty good at it, and they work cheap. 

second is you can use , L brackets and corner brackets like you used joist hangers in the states. With the large metal roofing self tapping screws you can make a joint as strong , if not stronger than weld. 

44 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Thank you

Stick welding is not my strong point also. I had done a bit of oxyacetylene welding back then, and I was pretty good at it, so I thought I would also be good at stick welding (Arc) . I was surprised how bad I was at it, a totally different ball game. I just practices on a couple of pieces of scrap , and spot welded first and then tap tap I finish the weld. Trust me it required a lot of grinder. 

I understand that gas-less Mig welding is a lot easier. The price on them has started to come down alot.  If you are going to buy a welder, get a Mig. Going to the states for christmas, as soon as I come back, I am getting one. 

But if you don't want to deal with welding you have a couple of options. 

First is getting someone else to do it. Thais are pretty good at it, and they work cheap. 

second is you can use , L brackets and corner brackets like you used joist hangers in the states. With the large metal roofing self tapping screws you can make a joint as strong , if not stronger than weld. 

joist hangers -great innovation!

• Thumbs Up 1