Anyone got an email from Wise asking for more info

Just received an email from Wise

We need more information to keep your account working.
Because of local regulations in the EU, we’re required by law to collect some additional information from you.
Here’s what you need to do:
  1. Click the button below to go directly to Wise. We'll guide you through the process and what's needed.
  2. Provide the information we need - we may ask for your photo ID and some other personal details
  3. If we ask for an ID, the best one would be your passport. We can't accept drivers licences
  4. That’s it — as soon as we verify your information you’re all set

If we don’t hear back from you before 4 December 2023 your account will be suspended and you won't be able to send, spend or receive money with Wise.
If you miss the deadline, you can still reinstate your account by providing the information requested in the link above. When we’ve verified the information sent, your account and card will start working again.
How can I tell this email is from Wise?
So you know this isn’t a phishing email, you’ll also find this link in the Inbox in your Wise account. You can use the link from this email or the inbox message.
With your help, we can keep your Wise account working normally.

Anyone else?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ripstanley said:

Log on to  the website and check your notifications. If it ithe email is from Wise you will see it there. I had one 2 weeks ago I was a little worried about but I found it there. All was okay.

Thx, yes it's legit. I checked the site and it's also there.

Just wondering if anyone else got it. They are asking some questions, like how much do you intend to send per year etc etc etc

5 minutes ago, uheuhe said:

Yes, I think I get this request every 2 years. Last time was September 2023.

Remember, NEVER use any direct links in an email. 

Login to your Wise account from your browser  or app and continue from there.

But the questions asked where very intrusive, never had those questions in all the years I have Wise.

Questions where like:

1- How much do you earn a year?

2- How much do you intend to send per year through Wise

3- What is the source of the money

4- Which Countries do you send money to?

etc etc etc

And Yes I followed the link via the Wise Site, got the same message in the Notification area.

Edited by MJCM

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

I've not had anything like this in the 4 years that I've been using Wise, but I'm interested to know what the nationalities are of those who do receive such requests. I'm a Brit and they know that and we not, as everyone knows, a member of the EU anymore and I notice that this does refer to 'EU regulations'.

Don't bet on it not being part of UK law.  I've no idea what this review came up with, or even if it has started/concluded, but:

"The EU has introduced six anti-money laundering (“AML”) directives. As a member of the EU, the UK implemented the first five of those directives by way of a number of regulations (the “Regulations”). The sixth AML directive came into effect for EU member states on 3 December 2020, four weeks short of the end of the transition period.[1] The UK government chose not to implement the most recent directive into national law because it considered that its domestic legislation “is already largely compliant with the Directive’s measures, and in relation to the offences and sentences set out in the Directive, the UK already goes much further”,[2] that is, subject to the following exception: the sixth directive extends criminal liability for money laundering to corporations that fail to prevent it. Such conduct is not presently a criminal offence under UK law. Nevertheless, the UK government has requested the UK Law Commission[3] to review the position and consider whether UK law is “sufficiently equipped to tackle economic crime”.[4] The outcome of that review could lead to further alignment between UK AML laws and the European AML regime."

ack power

https://www.cadwalader.com/resources/clients-friends-memos/uk-anti-money-laundering-legislation-in-a-post-brexit-landscape

Who knows what other "alignments" may be/have been under consideration?

Edited by Enoon

15 minutes ago, blazes said:

The fact that several people on this thread indicate that it happened to them in the last year or two does not allay one's fears that this is totally unnecessary harvesting of information.

As far as I can judge they are not harvesting any information that they do not already know. This procedure is quite common now in the financial world and is part of the NYC policies.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

I've not had anything like this in the 4 years that I've been using Wise, but I'm interested to know what the nationalities are of those who do receive such requests. I'm a Brit and they know that and we not, as everyone knows, a member of the EU anymore and I notice that this does refer to 'EU regulations'.

I'm British.

I've also had to provide almost the exact same information to my UK bank, where I receive payments for overseas work. 

I'd guess the trigger is more to do with how much money you are moving through the account than your nationality.

1 minute ago, Polar Bear said:

I'm British.

I've also had to provide almost the exact same information to my UK bank, where I receive payments for overseas work. 

I'd guess the trigger is more to do with how much money you are moving through the account than your nationality.

Not just how much but also the source of those monies. My incomes are all, very clearly pensions, so are not likely to arouse any suspicions.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Not just how much but also the source of those monies. My incomes are all, very clearly pensions, so are not likely to arouse any suspicions.

Do you get your pensions paid directly into Wise? 

The money I send through Wise comes from UK investments with a solid paper trail, but all Wise sees is me transferring money from my UK account. They can't see how the money got into that account.

14 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

As far as I can judge they are not harvesting any information that they do not already know. This procedure is quite common now in the financial world and is part of the NYC policies.

A correction to this, I meant KYC policies. (Know Your Customer) Nothing to do New York City. :happy:

1 minute ago, Polar Bear said:

Do you get your pensions paid directly into Wise? 

The money I send through Wise comes from UK investments with a solid paper trail, but all Wise sees is me transferring money from my UK account. They can't see how the money got into that account.

Yes I do and they're all clearly annotated as such.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, MJCM said:

Just received an email from Wise

Anyone else?

Yes every 2or 3 yrs they will ask for that. Same as TorFx and other  a provider of international money transfer services for individuals and businesses. 

Same as one has to have Proof of Address .

This is as they say  for Anti  money laundering.

2 hours ago, Digitalbanana said:

Nothing here. Had my account a few years using Thailand as base.

Likewise. I signed up from Thailand in 2018, beyond the initial data required to set up the account, proof of ID and address, I've not had to supply any further details.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

42 minutes ago, Stocky said:

Likewise. I signed up from Thailand in 2018, beyond the initial data required to set up the account, proof of ID and address, I've not had to supply any further details.

Same here, I've had my account with wise for donkey's years, never been asked for verification (British, transferring pension money to Thailand from my German bank account.)

I received the same email, so I went into my Wise app to read the notifications, but all they wanted from me was to verify my Thai address.

I did that and now they are happy again.

No other questions at all.

I normally send $1000US each time.

Never more than that.

Once or twice a month.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, soalbundy said:
10 hours ago, Stocky said:

Same here, I've had my account with wise for donkey's years, never been asked for verification (British, transferring pension money to Thailand from my German bank account.)

Same for me. ID & Address verification to open the account and nothing since.

Since Xendpay stopped two or three days ago, I tried to log in to Wise  and they sent me an email to my old mobile number. Finally, I found a link how to change my mobile number. Now they ask me a selfie holding my passport. I sent them already 7 times and seven times they tell me that cannot read my upload. Sev en times! I sent them clear photos, exactly the way they want.

It's like Bitkub, same problems. I'm at the end of my Latin, how we say in Switzerland.

22 hours ago, Digitalbanana said:

Nothing here. Had my account a few years using Thailand as base.

That is then not surprising, because I am using Europe as a Base (also got the WISE ATM card, but that is a real bust, withdraw money from the ATM here in Thailand with it and they charge (in addition to the 220 THB the Thai Bank charges) an "our" ATM Fee which is double the Thai Bank charge)

• Agree 1