Jordanian Begging Gang Exploits Children at Bangkok ATMs, Prompting Arrests

webfact

dFQROr7oWzulq5Fa5LJET5COyWbms90YfuVpEIA1zwPnZTYAfZpkg9aWyoRge3n3tUu.jpg

Lieutenant General Itthipol Itthisanranachai, the chief of the Immigration Bureau, announced the apprehension of a Jordanian begging gang that had been causing disturbances in Bangkok's Nana district.

The group of seven Jordanian nationals, including Turfeh Mohammad Mousa Jumah, Oruba Faisal Shamsi Jumah, Ohood Ghalab Shaker Jum', Sayel Faisal Shamsi Jumah, Ahmad Hayel Shaker Jumah, Hazeem Mohammad Musa Jum, and Anaam Mohammad Musa Jum'ah, were exploiting the sympathies of locals and tourists alike, using small children to pressure people at ATM machines, reported Thai Rath.

Dtbezn3nNUxytg04ajZ42znhWQwQBsgQYHoSDzCqRiOAqR.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

The arrests, made on November 27th, came in response to complaints from businesses in the Sukhumvit area. The Jordanian gang, temporarily residing in a Nana district hotel, targeted individuals for cash withdrawals at ATMs, employing tactics such as approaching tourists, soliciting funds, and following those who gave money for repeated requests.

Lieutenant General Panthana Nuchanart, the Deputy Chief of Immigration Police, stressed that the gang's activities violated the terms of their stay in Thailand.

Dtbezn3nNUxytg04ajZ42znhWQwQBsgQQzz44Kfw3gKGkT.jpg

As a result, authorities swiftly revoked their permits due to concerns about public safety and social disruption. While investigations into their finances revealed no evidence of an organized syndicate handling the funds, collaboration with Chinese authorities has been initiated to further scrutinize both the injuries sustained and the financial transactions. Authorities remain vigilant in addressing such cases to maintain public order and safety in the country.

Top Picture: Thai Rath

Dtbezn3nNUxytg04ajZ42znhWQwQBsgQHsXDOXER7RzOzj.jpg

-- ASEAN NOW 2023-11-28

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Reach a vast audience of readers interested in Thailand by featuring your business in ASEAN NOW, viewed by millions each month. For further details contact our sales team at [email protected].

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

Are they on tourist visas..I guess that staying in a hotel answers that....to be deported?

I can imagine if I was doing this and got caught, I'de be kicked out...it taking Thai peoples' work:)

Probably turned in by the Chinese begging gangs... can't really picture Thai cops looking into this from their own sense of law enforcement, duty

• Like 1

There’s organized beggars in many parts of the world… I’ve seen first hand in US and Mexico. Unfortunately it makes it difficult for those that need the help to eat. Offering to buy food instead of giving money helps weed out some in for profit

beggars… because they want money not food…

• Like 1