New IKEA to open near Asok-Sukhumvit intersection

webfact

image_123650291-4.jpg

On Friday, December 1, Thailand will get its fourth IKEA store - now right in the center of Bangkok! IKEA Sukhumvit is getting a new concept compared to other IKEA stores in Thailand, indeed in all of Asia. 

The new IKEA department store is located within the brand new shopping center Emsphere, which is located between Benjasiri Park and Sukhumvit Soi 22, and is according to the new "City-Centre Store" concept, where instead of building a gigantic warehouse in some suburb, they chose to locate the store in absolute central location. 

The store's strategic location near the Asoke-Sukhumvit intersection means it will be well connected to Bangkok's Skytrain and subway systems, giving customers access to functional, affordable, durable and well-designed home furnishing solutions around the hub IKEA Sukhumvit is the first partnership between IKEA Thailand and The Mall Group.

The new store will strengthen the area's already clear shopping profile. Located on the third floor of The Emsphere, covering an area of 12,000 sq m, IKEA Sukhumvit will be full of everyone's IKEA favourites, with a full range of furniture, Swedish food products and of course an IKEA restaurant, in addition to the possibility to shop and get the goods delivered home, there are also other services such as Click & Collect. 

We at Destination Asia were invited to the premiere screening and sent our photographer Dennis Thern there - there will be a larger report on both IKEA and Emsphere once they are officially opened at Destination Asia, but until then we offer a small appetizer here!

— Destination Asia 2023-11-29

image_123650291-8.jpg

image_123650291-3.jpg

image_123650291-6.jpg

image_123650291.jpg

image_123650291-10.jpg

image_123650291-5.jpg

• Love It 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

IKEA Sukhumvit is getting a new concept compared to other IKEA stores in Thailand, indeed in all of Asia

About 20 years ago I went to an IKEA in the middle of downtown Hong Kong, located in the basement of an office building. So no, this is not a new concept "in all of Asia".

5 hours ago, webfact said:

We at Destination Asia were invited to the premiere screening

Since I have an IKEA membership, I was also invited. They asked me to register online, and said the first 500 registrants could participate. I did so, but they never sent any acknowledgment or provided any indication of whether I was one of the lucky 500, so I didn't try to go. Very peculiar way to run a promotion.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

Since I have an IKEA membership, I was also invited. They asked me to register online, and said the first 500 registrants could participate. I did so, but they never sent any acknowledgment or provided any indication of whether I was one of the lucky 500, so I didn't try to go. Very peculiar way to run a promotion.

You'd actually want to go to the opening of an IKEA ????.....      one question...  Why on earth would anyone want to do that ?

4 hours ago, JohnOFphon said:

I'll go Friday I assume they will open 10am.. if the new skywalk is open, that will be fun.

Erm.. using a new skywalk and going to IKEA is something considered fun ???....

... no offence, but.... 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Celsius said:

Who wants to cum with me and eat sum ballz?

Now the only question will be... are the balls found to be on offer made of pork and beef, or horse meat or something else?

From 2013:

Horsemeat scandal: Ikea withdraws all meatballs from UK stores

Furniture company stops sales of meatballs in more than 20 European countries after batch tests positive for horse DNA

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2013/feb/25/horsemeat-scandal-ikea-meatballs-uk

I can see all those IKEA shoppers trying to squeeze on the skytrain at Phrom phong station during the afternoon 'peak' with their IKEA flat-packs.  I'm accustomed to being pushed by people's backpacks but a flat-pack might just reshape my toes!

I just returned from there.

They have a good selection. But less than in Bangna.

Before I visited them, I looked online for some options of the PAX wardrobe. My idea was to see in real life how things look like. I.e. for sliding doors, I saw maybe 70% of the selection which they have online. I asked them and they told me that I have to visit Bangna to see the full selection. And it seems they don't plan to change that.

What I also find annoying it that it seems they insist everybody must walk around their whole shop through all sections to be able to get to a specific section. You want to see a bed? Walk through half of the shop zig and zag and zag and zig. You want to go out again? Continue with zig and zag and zag and zig until the exit far away. I didn't see any shortcuts and the people who work there also didn't know any shortcut. Annoying! But it seems that is a standard feature from IKEA shops.

The IKEA restaurant is in the middle of the shop. Lots of walking to get there and get out again. But it's cheap and good quality.

The meatballs cost about 150THB. Soda water another 20B. Not bad for the middle of Sukhumvit.

IMG_20231204_163548.thumb.jpg.5ae17187a02cadc8b2d334925f1d11cf.jpg

16 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I just returned from there.

They have a good selection. But less than in Bangna.

Before I visited them, I looked online for some options of the PAX wardrobe. My idea was to see in real life how things look like. I.e. for sliding doors, I saw maybe 70% of the selection which they have online. I asked them and they told me that I have to visit Bangna to see the full selection. And it seems they don't plan to change that.

What I also find annoying it that it seems they insist everybody must walk around their whole shop through all sections to be able to get to a specific section. You want to see a bed? Walk through half of the shop zig and zag and zag and zig. You want to go out again? Continue with zig and zag and zag and zig until the exit far away. I didn't see any shortcuts and the people who work there also didn't know any shortcut. Annoying! But it seems that is a standard feature from IKEA shops.

The IKEA restaurant is in the middle of the shop. Lots of walking to get there and get out again. But it's cheap and good quality.

The meatballs cost about 150THB. Soda water another 20B. Not bad for the middle of Sukhumvit.

IMG_20231204_163548.thumb.jpg.5ae17187a02cadc8b2d334925f1d11cf.jpg

Yes, the long meandering walk to the restaurant and then the longer meandering walk to get the hell out of there was really annoying.  At Ikea Bangna it is possible to get in and out of the store without a day long hike.  

• Like 1

Just now, ricklev said:

At Ikea Bangna it is possible to get in and out of the store without a day long hike.

They still make it difficult in Bangna but at least they have a few hidden shortcuts. I guess if one is often enough there then you know how to get best from A to B.

In Sukhumvit it seems they have no shortcuts at all. I don't want to think about the disaster if there would be a fire and people just want to get out.