The ATM ate my card up.

I needed to get some cash before doing my shopping at Villa the other day.       I used a debit card I have't used in about a year but from past experience my travel alerts have remained in effect for long periods.      

Anyway after inserting the card in the slot, I typed in the passcode.   All was going fine until I was asked to make a language selection which I  did and  then a message "flashed" on the screen and said my card was being detained and I should call the issuing bank.

I then called the help line number shown on the ATM and was told by the service rep. that the card was no longer available   because the issuing bank did something to invalidate the card.

When I got home I called the bank/brokerage in America and was informed that there is no  information available on their end other than based on my claim they'd consider the card lost   and would reissue a new card.    The USA rep said anything that happens to the card is a result of the banking system in Thailand.       Pretty then  much all went fine and the card will arrive  within 48 hours.

My question is about the number of times I typed in the passcode.     I only did it one time and I'm pretty certain I used the correct number.      I agree the travel notice was probably out of date but I wonder if ATM's in Thailand retain cards used that don't have a proper travel notice in effect.      Is the three times attempt rule history?

krunsaibank.png.0de3acb6c207f4926c4929ba70e6385b.png

3 minutes ago, Crossy said:

In my experience when the card is blocked by a travel notice or similar the machine says something like "Transaction cancelled - Contact your bank" and the RETURNS the card.

I've only ever had a card eaten when I've entered the PIN wrong 3 times (similar card same bank, I'm an idiot).

That's why I found the whole matter puzzling.      I've never heard of a card being kept after only one attempt for whatever reason.

I wonder if it means any tourist who forgets to provide a  bank travel notice will risk losing the card on his first ATM  attempt.

• Like 2

If I'm using my Thai ATM card (debit card), I don't care where I use it as replacements are easy to get. If I'm using an international card, I only use them in shopping malls at a bank. If the machine eats your card, you can get it back at the time they normally open the machine by showing them your passport.

The ATMs on the streets have numbers you can call, and they should return your card.  

Thai banks destroy cards left in machines and issue new ones except at main branches of your bank, where they can return it. The K-Bank charges 300 baht, but they give you 250 refund immediately. I believe that's only once a year you get a refund. 

25 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

In my opinion, that ATM does not seem to be put there by any bank. Must be one of the third party machines. I would never trust an ATM that was  placed in such position.

The yellow colour of the ATM is very indicative of it being placed there by a bank. That, and there are very very few third party ATM machines in Thailand.

11 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

In my opinion, that ATM does not seem to be put there by any bank. Must be one of the third party machines. I would never trust an ATM that was  placed in such position.

I'm more concerned about the position of the fire extinguisher, against all guidelines...

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, blackcab said:

The yellow colour of the ATM is very indicative of it being placed there by a bank. That, and there are very very few third party ATM machines in Thailand.

Sure, it would be Bank of Ayutthaya, or Krung Sri, if you wish. However, a very stupid place to put an ATM machine.

19 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I try to use only ATMs in front of a bank. That way you can retrieve your card later, if there is ever a problem where your card gets "eaten".

Years ago BKK Bank Kad Suan Kaew Chiang Mai, major farang friendly branch. BKK bank card eaten due to me inputting wrong PIN by the machine outside, during business hours when it was my account branch. I was told I could not get it back and needed a new one issued. As you know not free. T.I.T? or just pure laziness?

19 hours ago, In Full Agreement said:

That's why I found the whole matter puzzling.      I've never heard of a card being kept after only one attempt for whatever reason.

I wonder if it means any tourist who forgets to provide a  bank travel notice will risk losing the card on his first ATM  attempt.

I do not use travel notices never had that problem. My profile probably Constant International Travel

One time I had my foreign card eaten in BKK at night because of machine error/electical problems. Lighting had literally struck during rainand after waiting a few minutes saw   ”Blue Screen of Death”I was going to the airport early next morning just had to report it lost

On 11/30/2023 at 3:15 PM, Celsius said:

They are going to mail you the card to a Thai address?

Yet, they blocked the card because there is an issue with a banking system in Thailand?

Yep, I bet you never see your "replacement" card.

I wish you had put your money where your mouth is and made that bet with me because the card is sitting in its DHL envelop on my desk in front of me.       

YOu better try again with other nonsense.

3 minutes ago, In Full Agreement said:

I wish you had put your money where your mouth is and made that bet with me because the card is sitting in its DHL envelop on my desk in front of me.       

YOu better try again with other nonsense.

Nah, I don't think so