Royals and race: inquiry under way into naming of Charles and Catherine in new book

CharlieH

image.png

A royal author has said an investigation is under way into how the Dutch version of his new book named two senior members of the British royal family alleged to have discussed the skin colour of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s unborn son.

In an edition that has now been withdrawn from bookshelves, King Charles and the Princess of Wales were named as taking part in conversations about Prince Archie before his birth, according to allegations in the book that have been broadcast on TV programmes in the UK and the Netherlands.

The book claims conversations about Archie related to how it opened up discussions about whether there was “unconscious bias” in the royal family.

Buckingham Palace declined to respond on Thursday. “It is not something we are going to comment on,” a spokesperson told the Guardian.

The broadcaster Piers Morgan used his TalkTV show on Wednesday to name the royals mentioned in a now pulled and pulped translated version of Omid Scobie’s book Endgame: Inside the Royal Family and the Monarchy’s Fight for Survival.

Speaking to ITV’s This Morning on Thursday, Scobie insisted he had “never submitted a book that had their names in it”, and could only talk about the English version that he wrote.

He said he had never used the word “racist”, and that his book referred to “unconscious bias”. He claimed other Fleet Street journalists had “known those names for a long time”.

He said the inclusion of the names was “still being investigated right now. I wrote and edited the English version of the book with one publisher. That then gets licensed to other publishers. I obviously can’t speak Italian, German, French, Dutch or any of the other languages. So the only time you hear about the book is once it’s come out in the public domain.

FULL STORY

Guardian.png

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, RayWright said:

It's quite simple, Saskia Peeters and Nellie Keukelaar-van Rijsbergern as the Dutch translators did their job, I.e. translated from the English text into Dutch.

Fault if any, is no-one checked.

Scooby's comment, he had  “never submitted a book that had their names in it

Would be true, as the article in question would more traditionaly be in manuscript form, not a bound book. So semantics.

At the end of the day, who cares.

Well I dare say the two translators care.

The bizarre little mouthpiece for the Sussex's is blaming them for his weaseling little devious shenanigans. Their professional reputations are at stake, I hope that they sue the plastic ass off him.

• Sad 2
  • Agree 2

16 hours ago, tonbridgebrit said:

This race thing with the Royal family or any family is absurd.

Look, if you refuse to work with whatever people because of their race or ethnicity, then yes, this is racist. It's wrong. If you don't like somebody because of their race, it's wrong. You give aggro to somebody because of their race, you're wrong.

But if you only want to have sex with people in your own race, what's wrong about that ?  Nothing. And if you're only willing to marry a woman who is the same race as you, you only want to produce kids with a woman who is in the same race as you, well. Well, surely you should be allowed to do that, and do it without criticism.
And if you don't want to produce kids with people in whatever race or ethnic group, surely, that's your freedom of choice.

And if you prefer to have your own children, or your own family members, to have sex and produce kids, and you're all going to be in the same race, well, what's wrong about that ?  In my opinion, nothing.

And if you want to have sex with people who are not in your race, or you want to have children with people who are not in your race, again, that's also okay.

Just do what you want to do. Do I criticise any man who is having sex with a woman who is black, or partly black ?  Off-course not.  And do I criticise any man who would prefer his grandchildren to be in the exact same race as he is ?  No I don't. It is his choice.

Chinese can be pretty racist. Especially in mainland China.

• Thumbs Up 1

Omid Scabies is really scraping the bottom of the barrel now. 

Wondering how dark a mixed race baby will be is not racist. Even Chris Rock acknowledged that black people do this all the time. It's like wondering if the baby of a blonde father and brunette mother will be blonde or brunette.

Harry and his wife need to hire a better lieutenant. This lickspittle is just embarrassing.

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1

19 hours ago, tonbridgebrit said:

Look, if you refuse to work with whatever people because of their race or ethnicity, then yes, this is racist. It's wrong. If you don't like somebody because of their race, it's wrong. You give aggro to somebody because of their race, you're wrong.

But if you only want to have sex with people in your own race, what's wrong about that ?  Nothing. And if you're only willing to marry a woman who is the same race as you, you only want to produce kids with a woman who is in the same race as you, well. Well, surely you should be allowed to do that, and do it without criticism.
And if you don't want to produce kids with people in whatever race or ethnic group, surely, that's your freedom of choice.

And if you prefer to have your own children, or your own family members, to have sex and produce kids, and you're all going to be in the same race, well, what's wrong about that ?  In my opinion, nothing.

And if you want to have sex with people who are not in your race, or you want to have children with people who are not in your race, again, that's also okay.

Just do what you want to do. Do I criticise any man who is having sex with a woman who is black, or partly black ?  Off-course not.  And do I criticise any man who would prefer his grandchildren to be in the exact same race as he is ?  No I don't. It is his choice.

The absurdity is magnified by the fact that there is absolutely no evidence whatsoever that the matter was discussed, let alone by those who allegedly raised the matter.

It was, you may remember, initially mentioned by Meghan in her interview with Oprah Winfrey, a remark which rather embarrassed her husband (back when he was still ashamed of his behaviour perhaps)?  So much of what she said in that interview has since been thoroughly debunked. Now it is being pushed by their bizarre little on and off mouthpiece Scobie, in an attempt to sell his book.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Morch said:

Chinese can be pretty racist. Especially in mainland China.

Racism from mainland Chinese ? Chinese in Hong Kong show just as much racism, or almost as much racism.  The only reason they show less racism is because they've had more contact with the rest of the world, compared to mainland Chinese.

And, Chinese in Hong Kong are more aware and careful when projecting a negative image to Americans and others.  Mainland Chinese are more likely to think "so, we're annoying you with our actions and behaviour, it makes no difference to us "  . 
Or, they simply don't realise people are being annoyed.   

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, tonbridgebrit said:

Racism from mainland Chinese ? Chinese in Hong Kong show just as much racism, or almost as much racism.  The only reason they show less racism is because they've had more contact with the rest of the world, compared to mainland Chinese.

And, Chinese in Hong Kong are more aware and careful when projecting a negative image to Americans and others.  Mainland Chinese are more likely to think "so, we're annoying you with our actions and behaviour, it makes no difference to us "  . 
Or, they simply don't realise people are being annoyed.   

That might be your fairy tale version. My experience is different.

Also, given China practically took over HK, not seeing how this deflection works for you.

Wasn't aware racism was about 'annoying' people, but again, I'm not the one trading in fairy tales.

• Thumbs Up 1

Charles needs to man up.

It's fine being a lefty tree hugger when your Mother has a pair but she's gone now and pandering to your stupid son and his dumb Instagram loving wife earns no respect. 

He needs to follow his mothers example and put monarch before family. Strip the titles and remove them from the line of succession. 

If he hasn't got the minerals let William and his beautiful wife do it. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/2/2023 at 7:02 PM, tonbridgebrit said:

You seem to have missed the point entirely. It's not about one's choice, it's about criticizing another person's. In this case, allegedly, 2 royals had "concerns" about the color of a child's skin. Not their own child but someone else's. That would make them bigoted. The royals, like anyone else, do have a right to be bigoted. But let's not treat bigotry as though it's morally neutral.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

You seem to have missed the point entirely. It's not about one's choice, it's about criticizing another person's. In this case, allegedly, 2 royals had "concerns" about the color of a child's skin. Not their own child but someone else's. That would make them bigoted. The royals, like anyone else, do have a right to be bigoted. But let's not treat bigotry as though it's morally neutral.

Yes, allegedly being the key word.

Absolutely no evidence to back it up (unlike the video evidence of Harry's own racism). Given Markle's history of lies, I don't believe a word of it. They couldn't even get their story straight during the Oprah interview about when the alleged comments were made.

Laughable. A couple of brats telling nasty stories about someone because they couldn't get their own way. Good riddance to the vicious little grifters, especially the racist elitist Harry. Let's hope they never return to Britain.

Edited by JonnyF
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JonnyF said:

No it wouldn't.

The British Royal family is one of the few great things that hasn't been taken from the British people. The last thing we need is someone like Macron dragging the country down further.

Another post that made me laugh.

This is what you said about the King yesterday.

Again your only consistency is being totally inconsistent.

IMG_1805.jpeg

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

Another post that made me laugh.

This is what you said about the King yesterday.

Again your only consistency is being totally inconsistent.

IMG_1805.jpeg

I was assuming you knew the difference between "The King" and the British Royal Family as an institution.

It would appear I have been giving you far too much credit. :laugh:

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Yes, allegedly being the key word.

Absolutely no evidence to back it up (unlike the video evidence of Harry's own racism). Given Markle's history of lies, I don't believe a word of it. They couldn't even get their story straight during the Oprah interview about when the alleged comments were made.

Laughable. A couple of brats telling nasty stories about someone because they couldn't get their own way. Good riddance to the vicious little grifters, especially the racist elitist Harry. Let's hope they never return to Britain.

It is known that comments about Archie's skin colour was made.

The leaked letters where the then Prince Charles acknowledges the comments were not made in malice.

3 minutes ago, cleopatra2 said:

It is known that comments about Archie's skin colour was made.

The leaked letters where the then Prince Charles acknowledges the comments were not made in malice.

That is a claim by Omid Scobie. Another allegation by a known, self confessed liar.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12799457/Omid-Scobie-lied-age-insecurity-royal-biographer-claimed-years-younger.html  

image.png.7830de19572a63dcbb58666d3b0a1bbb.png

16 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

That is a claim by Omid Scobie. Another allegation by a known, self confessed liar.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12799457/Omid-Scobie-lied-age-insecurity-royal-biographer-claimed-years-younger.html  

image.png.7830de19572a63dcbb58666d3b0a1bbb.png

The letters were leaked to the Telegraph.

In addition we know from Valentine Low they are genuine. Valentine Low initially cited Meghan as the leak. However after correspondence with Buckingham Palace and the Sussexes he acknowledged that this assumption was incorrect.

4 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

So you would prefer a Putin, a Macron, a Trump or a Xi Jinping etc?

I wouldn't vote for any of them but I didn't vote for Johnson and had no say in Charles becoming HoS, so I don't understand what is your point?

In any event, why group those four individuals together? Democratically speaking, they fall into two groups: Macron and Trump were democratically elected so where's the problem? Putin and Xi were not elected by way of a free and fair election.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, cleopatra2 said:

The letters were leaked to the Telegraph.

In addition we know from Valentine Low they are genuine. Valentine Low initially cited Meghan as the leak. However after correspondence with Buckingham Palace and the Sussexes he acknowledged that this assumption was incorrect.

Please post a link to the letters.

Not an allegation that the letters exist. The actual letters.

7 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Please post a link to the letters.

Not an allegation that the letters exist. The actual letters.

That is something I cannot do.

Firstly I do not think the actual letters are in the public domain.

Secondly I would be surprised if any outlet would publish them. They are obviously private and deal with confidential matters and we're never intended to be in the public domain.

However I have no reason to believe that what is published in the Telegraph is incorrect.Neither Meghan,  Buckingham Palace Royal Sources or Royal corresponedents have contested the accuracy of the Telegraph article.

1 minute ago, cleopatra2 said:

That is something I cannot do.

Firstly I do not think the actual letters are in the public domain.

Secondly I would be surprised if any outlet would publish them. They are obviously private and deal with confidential matters and we're never intended to be in the public domain.

However I have no reason to believe that what is published in the Telegraph is incorrect.Neither Meghan,  Buckingham Palace Royal Sources or Royal corresponedents have contested the accuracy of the Telegraph article.

So it's just an allegation then.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

So it's just an allegation then.

You are just getting to the point of being ridiculous.

So you are saying that if you do not see the original letters, every news source is lying.

Even Megan Markle herself says she send the letters.

Bye, as it is pointless trying to talk to a brick wall.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12813423/meghan-markle-omid-scobie-not-leak-names-royal-racists.html

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1