Mid-air madness: Unruly passenger turns Lufthansa flight to Bangkok into chaos

webfact

31 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

screw you for turning this on me to make your point. if i am man enough to do some introspection and try to understand what makes people tick i am of a very different cloth than you. i bet that when you read about someone doing something really bad you are quick to set up a gallows for their public execution. guys like you dont ever look at two sides of a story and unfortunately this is what makes zealots in the world today. i bet you think it is right to commit a genocide in gaza cos they started it without even trying to understand both sides of the story. guys like you throw anyone under the bus until one day it is your turn to face the music. you are a wimp and you think that because i believe such VERY common behaviors on planes should be understood rather than just burn anyone cos it is the easy way to do it? guys like you shouldnt be allowed to express their opinions cos all you do is use other people's opinions and twist them around to suit your narrative

oh... and btw @richard_smith237 no one can predict their future... maybe some day it will be you we read about on here

Whatttttt????? Are you serious? Or just going off on a faked irrational rant to make some sort of point that I am not grasping?
You say, "...i believe such VERY common behaviors on planes should be understood..." Well, perhaps my life experience is not expansive enough... but I've never witnessed these "VERY common behaviors on planes" - lighting blankets on fire or stripping on the plane... My life experience is apparently so terribly limited that I've never even had the opportunity to experience such amazingly common behaviors anywhere at all, let alone on planes! I feel like I've been cheated!
Maybe I should go start a good old-fashioned genocide. Will that help me understand both sides of a story?
Do they sell woke pills at the local pharmacy? Where can I get some of that stuff!?

1 hour ago, Big Bert said:

Are lighter banned from planes? I've not smoked for years now but I thought you could put in a clear bag at security with liquids below 100ml.

totally banned I don't get how they missed it. Every so often I get my lighter confiscated because I left it with my pipes and forgot to remove it. They always seem to find it.

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, Lee65 said:

Easy there hombre ...

"The male passenger later issued a verbal apology for his behavior and was provided an Air India flight ticket to Bangkok by Lufthansa. He departed on the subsequent flight around 3 pm, as confirmed by a senior officer involved in the resolution of the incident."

Even Indians know that all the crazy people should be sent to Thailand

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

totally banned I don't get how they missed it. Every so often I get my lighter confiscated because I left it with my pipes and forgot to remove it. They always seem to find it.

Happened to me when I smoked crack, too.

They didn't care about the pipes or residue, but woe betide the man who tried to bring a lighter on the plane. 

4 hours ago, Lee65 said:

Easy there hombre ...

"The male passenger later issued a verbal apology for his behavior and was provided an Air India flight ticket to Bangkok by Lufthansa. He departed on the subsequent flight around 3 pm, as confirmed by a senior officer involved in the resolution of the incident."

WOW! That must be one hell of an apology!

Was it done in German?

2 hours ago, Sig said:

The obvious! Somebody might attempt to light a blanket on fire.

There's some kind of rule about everything on a plane being massively fire retardant.

I doubt he could have set fire to that blanket even if he tried, and even if he did someone would just put it out.

With the recent avalanche of advertisements to click out of the way only to reveal  the likewise prolific vitriol in the posts (especially this one about the German) in this otherwise friendly, respectable, ASEAN NOW website,  I wonder how many others will be turning away after what has been many enjoyable years of loyalty?  Just thinking.

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I think airplane flights are one of those areas where you have to take a really extreme approach, if there is not an air marshal or law enforcement on the plane the passengers certainly should have the right to subdue the man. Perhaps they should go a step further and have very powerful tranquilizers on board to just knock the guy out, so handcuff him, knock him out with tranquilizers. When they land there should be a mandatory prison sentence of 10, perhaps 20 years. Flights are one of those areas where you need a certain amount of order and security, there's just too much that could go wrong lock him, and too many people are affected by a numbskull like this guy. 

A bit extreme but I have also sat next to a probably drunk on a Lufthansa flight to Bangkok . As soon as he sat down, one seat away from me, I could see he was drunk ! He started throwing things, I pressed the button . Meals were served , he hit his tray so hard the whole contents landed on  my  next seat neighbor. To cut a long awful moment short, three male stewards arrived and handcuffed him to his seat. My soaked in food neighbor  and myself were seated in what I suppose are the pilots rest space as the flight was full. There were armed police waiting to cart him off on arrival. Very welcome too. I do blame the Lufthansa staff in the airport for letting him board.  I believe anyone drunk or looking suspicious should be checked before boarding. Why not a breathalyzer test, tho I suppose most idiots would refuse. Completely spoilt everyone’s flight.

7 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

I think that when passengers have a fit that the reason for crazed behavior should be studied and catalogued. I have mild claustrophobia and have taken planes quite a few times without any issues. Who's to say that one day something like this won't happen to me or anyone of us?

Alcohol or drugs aside, there might be an underlying issue that could be treatable or diagnosed. Its easy to point a finger and blame people but sometimes there are real issues at cause but no one knows them cos no studies have been undertaken, yet

no need to do a study on a burning blanket in a plane

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, geisha said:

A bit extreme but I have also sat next to a probably drunk on a Lufthansa flight to Bangkok . As soon as he sat down, one seat away from me, I could see he was drunk ! He started throwing things, I pressed the button . Meals were served , he hit his tray so hard the whole contents landed on  my  next seat neighbor. To cut a long awful moment short, three male stewards arrived and handcuffed him to his seat. My soaked in food neighbor  and myself were seated in what I suppose are the pilots rest space as the flight was full. There were armed police waiting to cart him off on arrival. Very welcome too. I do blame the Lufthansa staff in the airport for letting him board.  I believe anyone drunk or looking suspicious should be checked before boarding. Why not a breathalyzer test, tho I suppose most idiots would refuse. Completely spoilt everyone’s flight.

Completely agree. Extreme, yes. But on a commercial aircraft, strong measures must be taken, when it comes to fools and drunk imbeciles behaving badly. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

I think that when passengers have a fit that the reason for crazed behavior should be studied and catalogued. I have mild claustrophobia and have taken planes quite a few times without any issues. Who's to say that one day something like this won't happen to me or anyone of us?

Alcohol or drugs aside, there might be an underlying issue that could be treatable or diagnosed. Its easy to point a finger and blame people but sometimes there are real issues at cause but no one knows them cos no studies have been undertaken, yet

5 years jail should sort him out. 

5 hours ago, Lucky Bones said:

I must be unlucky. The most excitement I ever experienced was sitting next to a 6 ' 6" ladyboy from Adelaide to Melbourne.

I reckon some passengers walked to the dunny a dozen times to get an eyeful of the plastic.🙃🙃

Did you ask her how big her bit was?

8 hours ago, Lee65 said:

Easy there hombre ...

He probably was in the highest tier of passenger status on Lufthansa. Business comes first! LOL

3 hours ago, geisha said:

Not only the staff at the check in counter but also the flight attendants are supposed to check the passengers for being drunk or intoxicated. Everyone failed in this case. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Gloman said:

Completely agree. Always two sides to a story. Perhaps his wife told him something stressing. 🤷‍♂️

Still no excuse.

I hope he'll be happy to pick up the tab for the diversion.

Diversion costs typically range from £10,000 - £80,000 depending on the size of the aircraft and where it diverts to.

7 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Some serious time in the "klink" seems in order. And a travel ban. 

Yeah, like the British did with their bread thieves. The klink was called Australia. Unfortunatelt they have lifted the travel ban for Australians, you don't need the sign to find the flight check-in counter for Perth - just look at the unkempt slobs in the queue.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Shocked farang said:

Not only the staff at the check in counter but also the flight attendants are supposed to check the passengers for being drunk or intoxicated. Everyone failed in this case. 

Boarding for a flight to the UK would take three hours........

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I think airplane flights are one of those areas where you have to take a really extreme approach, if there is not an air marshal or law enforcement on the plane the passengers certainly should have the right to subdue the man. Perhaps they should go a step further and have very powerful tranquilizers on board to just knock the guy out, so handcuff him, knock him out with tranquilizers. When they land there should be a mandatory prison sentence of 10, perhaps 20 years. Flights are one of those areas where you need a certain amount of order and security, there's just too much that could go wrong lock him, and too many people are affected by a numbskull like this guy. 

Heil mein Fuehrer. You could double up as a member of the gespacho police.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1