By the way

3 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

They have huge signs above the immigration desks asking to show Passport and Boarding Pass (they even show a picture of it)

Thanks, haven't been on a trip for a while. However I still maintain my stance that the standard flyer hasn't a clue that they need to retain their boarding pass after getting on the aircraft, it's not something that's in the "collective consciousness".

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

Thanks, haven't been on a trip for a while. However I still maintain my stance that the standard flyer hasn't a clue that they need to retain their boarding pass after getting on the aircraft, it's not something that's in the "collective consciousness".

It is in mine. I pretty much need it to fill in the arrival card of so many countries as I can never remember the flight number. Lucky it's on the boarding pass so it never leaves my passport

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Like 1

"No way am I showing up at Swampy again w/o a onward ticket and reservations from now on."

They ask this at the gate when entering the plane. It's airline's requirement, not Immi's.

I've entered Thailand 6 times and never asked to see the boarding pass!

They do this if they suspect somebody being drug mule and coming via 3rd country, not direct where are living.

I learned this from Immi official in EU.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Ali Katz said:

Been coming to Thailand for over 40 years and this most recent arrival was a complete shock.  Saawaadi I pleasantly say. Ha! She was the Nurse Ratchet of Thai immigration. Ticket ticket ticket she starts chattering, emphasizing with  a sharp clanking sound on her desk. Than for some change up she adds hotel reservations hotel reservations etc. I'm gobsmacked.  It's never been nothing but smile and stamp and go previous times. No way shape or form this time. Luckily her supervisor had a more congenial sabai sabai attitude and just let me know times have changed at least  for American passport holders but they had succeeded putting the scare into me. Next time buyer beware! 

Beware of what. I just reread that and I don't see what the problem is. Did you get strip searched? Interviewed for an hour?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

It is in mine. I pretty much need it to fill in the arrival card of so many countries as I can never remember the flight number. Lucky it's on the boarding pass so it never leaves my passport

I use Mobile boarding passes or throw them in the garbitch

Never ever had a problem.

If they need to know what flight I I come off  I will tell them

10 minutes ago, GypsyT said:

They do this if they suspect somebody being drug mule and coming via 3rd country, not direct where are living.

I learned this from Immi official in EU.

Absolute nonsense.

Take a flight Bangkok to Saigon you provide boarding pass along with pp.

Same when return to Thailand. 

7 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

People can have completely different experiences. One person can breeze through it all no questions asked whilst others get the "third degree".

If the OP experienced only the former then how could he possibly know about the latter?

Many (most?) travellers don't really get into the nitty-gritty of it all like we do in this forum, and remain blissfully ignorant.

Even if they get asked for a boarding pass once then it's not the kind of thing that will stick in their mind for future travel. Not everybody's a genius like you and GG.

They'll leave the thing on the plane, throw it in the "garbitch" or bury it at the bottom of their bum bag. Anywhere but put in their passport.

So if the Immigration officers think that we're all clueless idiots because we don't have our boarding passes ready then so be it, I hope it ruins their day (as long as they stamp me in correctly).

As for you not liking my forum style, well that's not much of an insult seeing as how you have 90% of the AseanNow BMs on ignore 🤣

3rd degree? They asked for hotel booking. Thats 10 seconds on a phone. The old forms asked for address.

23 hours ago, fondue zoo said:

If it happens what can you do, just breathe, know that your holiday awaits just steps beyond them, and imagine that she probably wanted to be an artist/writer, but she has to deal with all our smelly asses.

- smelly because no bum gun yet.

That's why I always bring a Durian as a gift for the agent.

• Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

Well there you go, problem solved (if you can read English).

Well since all posts on this forum must be in English, pretty much everyone here can read the huge signs saying show boarding pass

Despite the huge signs I was behind 2 guys together in line recently. 1st one goes to IO without boarding pass, spends ages searching his bag for it with his mate watching on. 2nd guy then goes to IO without boarding pass and also spends ages searching for it in front of IO. Some people just can't be bothered and seem put out when IO is just doing their job.

Edited by Pattaya57

19 hours ago, Ali Katz said:

Thanks everyone, well most of you anyway for your responses.  All I know is they successfully succeeded in putting the fear into me. No way am I showing up at Swampy again w/o a onward ticket and reservations from now on. Chok dee to you all. YMMV

From some of the responses on this forum, many here are abusive to Imm officers when it is even to their own benefit to be respectful. I guess if she got enough of that or even a small amount of it recently, it set her off. It is not likely it was something you did. 

17 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

From some of the responses on this forum, many here are abusive to Imm officers when it is even to their own benefit to be respectful. I guess if she got enough of that or even a small amount of it recently, it set her off. It is not likely it was something you did. 

Be polite to everyone. That helps.

25 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Well since all posts on this forum must be in English, pretty much everyone here can read the huge signs saying show boarding pass

Despite the huge signs I was behind 2 guys together in line recently. 1st one goes to IO without boarding pass, spends ages searching his bag for it with his mate watching on. 2nd guy then goes to IO without boarding pass and also spends ages searching for it in front of IO. Some people just can't be bothered and seem put out when IO is just doing their job.

It's obvious I was referring to the arriving passengers' ability to read English, not the denizens of this forum. 

Your 2nd paragraph just confirms my earlier position that presenting the boarding pass at Immigration is not in the collective consciousness. So any IO that gets in a tizz about it is going to have a very miserable working life, especially at "SUV" as we seem to be calling it now 😂

"Despite the huge signs I was behind 2 guys together in line recently. 1st one goes to IO without boarding pass"

That sign is FAR AWAY from the gate. Many, like me used to do, empty pockets there.

How do know Thai rules? Show me an other country with same.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, GypsyT said:

I see many are using boarding pass on the phone in EU & US domestic flights.

Is it common to Asia too? I haven't seen any to use when boarding to Asia flights from abroad.

Did it for Laos not Thailand.

On 12/1/2023 at 10:23 AM, Celsius said:

Next time - business class = fast lane for chatty immi officers.

Not true. Fast track lane on a business class ticket with a female immigration officer at end of last year, I was the only person there and IO gave me a bunch of questions whereas the normal lines I never ever got any questions. 

On 12/1/2023 at 4:01 PM, DrJack54 said:

Proved nothing of the sort.

Immigration officers are very aware that many tourists are not aware of this requirement and tend to let it side.

Anyone should be aware of it on second flight.

The OP mentioned flown to Thailand for 40 years 

Still seems ignorant. 

Enough.

Very tired of you forum style. 

I always provide them my boarding pass together with the passport but I'm curious why they really want to see boarding passes of all passengers?

2 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

I always provide them my boarding pass together with the passport but I'm curious why they really want to see boarding passes of all passengers?

Well one idea is that they want to see where you're coming from.

Maybe a boarding pass from far away Australia, Europe or USA will have less questions than someone maybe doing a border hop from Cambodia or Laos for long term back to back stays?

The slime at the airports follow me around.  One woman had a casual t-shirt pulled over her work uniform.  She started talking to me so I knew something was wrong.  She then casually said 'this is a random security check'.  I showed the British passport and she almost did a backflip.  She said sorry have a nice day sir.

Same thing happened another time but it was a man.  He just came up and asked me to see the passport and where I am going that day.  He saw the British passport and ran away saying sorry.

I wonder how many real criminals got past during that time.

Edited by Chris Daley
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Chris Daley said:

The slime at the airports follow me around.  One woman had a casual t-shirt pulled over her work uniform.  She started talking to me so I knew something was wrong.  She then casually said 'this is a random security check'.  I showed the British passport and she almost did a backflip.  She said sorry have a nice day sir.

Same thing happened another time but it was a man.  He just came up and asked me to see the passport and where I am going that day.  He saw the British passport and ran away saying sorry.

I wonder how many real criminals got past during that time.

A real criminal might have a UK passport too.