Republican George Santos expelled from Congress in bipartisan vote

CharlieH

8 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

I disagree with this motion.

Members should only be expelled after conviction, not indictment. Innocent until proven guilty is a thing.

If it was only the Democrats who voted him out I would probably have agreed with you.

However,

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/who-voted-to-expel-george-santos/#:~:text=The final vote count on,112 voted against doing so.

The final vote count on the resolution to expel Santos was 311 to 114, far surpassing the two-thirds majority required under the Constitution to succeed. Among Republicans, 105 members voted to kick him out, and 112 voted against doing so.

48.38% of the GOP, his own party, voted to expel him as well.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

In a rare moment I agree with you. If Congress is not bound by the rules it sets for everyone else, they can do anything.

But those are the current rules.

If you want to change them you probably can but you will need a large bi-partisan majority to do so, and TBH I don't think that will happen.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

Members should only be expelled after conviction, not indictment. Innocent until proven guilty is a thing.

Expulsion doesn't require a crime. If 2/3 don't want you there, you're out. Doesn't matter what the reason is.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

Please detail in further, he was expelled, sent packing much like impeachment proceedings. There was a full report with all evidence. Should they have awaited ten years as he tried to delay the case for trial like the firmer POTUS is trying to do......let's get real the man is a charlatan and preyed on his donors.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

He is not quite as qualified as Trump as he only has 23 charges pending against the MEGA's 91(and counting)!

He also hasn't told quite as many verifiable lies as the Trump.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

In a rare moment I agree with you. If Congress is not bound by the rules it sets for everyone else, they can do anything.

Hu? They followed the same rules that apply to every member of Congress. A motion to expel can be brought and has to be voted on, requiring two thirds to pass. That's what happened. They can't do "anything" and they are bound by the rules of Congress.

There is no requirement for someone to be criminally convicted to be expelled. The charges against him will be tried independently in court. A supermajority thought he conduct was bad enough to vote him out. Nearly half of his own party agreed! You gotta be a real piece of work to make that happen.

Edited by eisfeld
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

54 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

Hu? They followed the same rules that apply to every member of Congress. A motion to expel can be brought and has to be voted on, requiring two thirds to pass. That's what happened. They can't do "anything" and they are bound by the rules of Congress.

There is no requirement for someone to be criminally convicted to be expelled. The charges against him will be tried independently in court. A supermajority thought he conduct was bad enough to vote him out. Nearly half of his own party agreed! You gotta be a real piece of work to make that happen.

LOL, you missed who "everyone else" applies to.

• Confused 3

Just now, Skipalongcassidy said:

Yet Menendez  is still there... go figure.

They expel the nutjobs. 

If they were to expel because of criminal behaviour, there would be no one left in congress.  :laugh:

He faces reelection soon and hopefully his constituency will remove him.  

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1