Thailand’s plan to extend Songkran raises eyebrows and 5.1 billion baht in soft power bid

webfact

3 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Cue boring boomers whining about getting wet 😂

This topic never fails to rouse them.
It is a good idea for entertainment purposes (gov is thinking about keeping the proles happy and revenues from visitors) but bad mainly for road accident casualties. Forget about water usage. In CM, where it has always gone on for a week or more, they draw it from the klongs. I hope this does happen, if only to wind up the boomers. 

Ever thought that people need to get to work too and can't show up at meetings complete soaks with klong water?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alex8912 said:

From your classy post it may be time for yah to head back west or to Singapore buddy. BTW what name did I call you lol?? However by your rude  " somchai" comment you may need a mirror in your new home as well. 

somchai is a common name here you would rather i use john or mike ? 

2 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

An utterly ridiculous idea. There will be no benefit to business, probably the reverse, general chaos, and water being wasted everywhere 

Just think of the additional alcohol sales and hospital fees from tourists being affected by bad water.

1 hour ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

What a terrible idea. Will have to consider Phlippines or somewhere else for the month of April if this happens. Not willing to tolerate dodging brainless zombies with water guns for a whole month. :post-4641-1156693976:

Water guns cost money, most around here use bowls or buckets or even just a hose.

A couple of years ago the driver of the car in front of me wouldn't roll his window down, so one of the drunks opened the door and threw a bucket full of water into the car guess most of it landed on the dashboard of the car, I locked my doors and got out of there as fast as I could.

17 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Cue boring boomers whining about getting wet 😂

This topic never fails to rouse them.
It is a good idea for entertainment purposes (gov is thinking about keeping the proles happy and revenues from visitors) but bad mainly for road accident casualties. Forget about water usage. In CM, where it has always gone on for a week or more, they draw it from the klongs. I hope this does happen, if only to wind up the boomers. 

I'm a boomer. I love Songkran. The memories I have are priceless.

This year my brother came for his first Songkran. It was fantastic!

Still, three days is plenty of time.

• Like 1

A 5.1 billion baht to increase the appeal of Thailand as a tourist destination by the use of soft power? In addition to the TAT budget, I assume. Let's hope they can come up with better ideas than the extension of Songkran, which is more likely to prevent tourists from , which will probably keep more tourists away than the number it will attract. 

And what will local businesses and individuals think about this? Oh, and they're expecting a shortage of water following El Nino next year!