For long term expats, is your average life expectancy based on your home country or Thailand?

Jingthing

This may be an academic topic for most as looking at national life expectancy numbers doesn't tell you very much about your own situation as far as factors like health history, the risks you take, and health history of your relatives, etc.

However in some cases it's worth looking at particularly for older Americans deciding when to start their social security benefit.

Being American, I looked this up and was kind of surprised to learn that the Thailand life expectancy is much higher than in the US.

I wasn't surprised at all to learn that U.S. life expectancies are much lower than other "advanced" western countries though. 

U.S.

Men 73.1 (BAD!)

Women 79.1

https://www.statnews.com/2023/11/13/life-expectancy-men-women/

THAILAND

Men 75.75

Women 84.08

So long term expats, are we in the Thai bucket or stuck with our home country?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, The Cyclist said:

Not something I fret over.

Although keeping off Thai roads after dark O'Clock will probably increase my life expectancy.

Understood.

I considered putting this in the US forum, because for Americans estimating your life expectancy well is a really big deal (financially) in deciding what age to start your social security benefits.

Just now, sidjameson said:

Those figures are life expectancy at birth. You'd be surprised how if you've already reached 60 you can expect considerably longer.

In the UK a 80 year old today lives on average another 6 or 8 years I believe. 

That is true.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sidjameson said:

Those figures are life expectancy at birth. You'd be surprised how if you've already reached 60 you can expect considerably longer.

In the UK a 80 year old today lives on average another 6 or 8 years I believe. 

Yes. For most expats it's life expectancy at, say, 60 or 65 that is relevant.

I hope - at currently 74 & 95% healthy - to live happily in to my 90s and, barring accidents & violence, I see no obvious reason why not. But, as my best friend (who drowned in Oz at 62) used to say: Noone knows when they're going to die.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

So long term expats, are we in the Thai bucket or stuck with our home country?

I tend to compare with my parents and pals.

So far at 67 I've outlived them all, and assume I'm on borrowed time.

Not a big one for the stats, the governments manipulate them to reduce pensions and annuities, and extend retirement age.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I tend to compare with my parents and pals.

So far at 67 I've outlived them all, and assume I'm on borrowed time.

Not a big one for the stats, the governments manipulate them to reduce pensions and annuities, and extend retirement age.

Must have bad genes or they were all negative. My grandpa had a string of health issues, still lived to 87. 67 is young.

Saw an 80yo run a marathon. Another 80yo deadlift more than me.

Its mostly attitude.

My mate is 77yo, he drinks coke and 55% whisky daily.

Humans can easily make 85 if you think positive.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, sidjameson said:

Do you think Thailand's air quality will take any years off that?

Not living out here in south Surin. Air is not the pure quality that it was in Canberra but not too bad all the same.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Life expectancy charts are massively affected by infant/childhood/teenage deaths. If you survive into your twenties, never ride a motorcycle, and stay away from minibuses, you could live forever. :whistling:

And don't use a bum gun 

giphy (1).gif

• Haha 2

When your time is up it is up.. nobody can tell what age it will be. Indeed averages means young and old and nowadays the healthcare is better, but still...Strangely enough a lot of my male friends and familymembers died around 65/70 while the women are around their 90's already and still very fit. Probably people in the West die sooner as they are used to work harder and more, while in the tropical countries life is more relaxed..