Solar Power for Home

32 minutes ago, lom said:

The box in your photo is not a common one, it is actually a 2 to 2.  From left to right: 2 fuses for a string (+ and -), a dual pole breaker for output, and 2 surge protectors for a string (+ and -) , then followed by an identical set for the second string.

They are here now and only brought a frame for 6 side by side.  Is there an issue with having a 5 meter gap between two groups of 3 panels on the same string?  I can cut the frame at welder right now so they have a gap.

image.png.f12ecaaba5d9b2101b1667b247bf724c.png

1 hour ago, atpeace said:

They are here now and only brought a frame for 6 side by side.  Is there an issue with having a 5 meter gap between two groups of 3 panels on the same string?  I can cut the frame at welder right now so they have a gap.

Doesn't really matter if you have a gap or the panels together on one side. I would definitely had added 4 more panels in order to get most sun exposure all the time. Contrary to common belief, you can have more KWp than inverter KWh, the panels do not push power into the inverter , it is the inverter pulling and it should know its limits and not take more than it can handle. You only have to make sure that the string voltage does not exceed inverter limit.

Edited by lom
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, lom said:

Doesn't really matter if you have a gap or the panels together on one side. I would definitely had added 4 more panels in order to get most sun exposure all the time. Contrary to common belief, you can have more KWp than inverter KWh, the panels do not push power into the inverter , it is the inverter pulling and it should know its limits and not take more than it can handle. You only have to make sure that the string voltage does not exceed inverter limit.

That's what I thought.  I asked on this thread if over paneling was an issue but at the time nobody responded.  I should have gone with at least 2 more panels but can add more easily later.  I usually only have 1 AC on at one time that usually hums along drawing 8oo watts mid day.  my exercise room when in use draws about 2000 watts for a couple hours so might not have enough panels (6.6kWh) for that on a cloudy day.  I'm cool with using the grid also.  My goal is to be 85%-99% off the grid. 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, atpeace said:

That's what I thought.  I asked on this thread if over paneling was an issue but at the time nobody responded.  I should have gone with at least 2 more panels but can add more easily later.  I usually only have 1 AC on at one time that usually hums along drawing 8oo watts mid day.  my exercise room when in use draws about 2000 watts for a couple hours so might not have enough panels (6.6kWh) for that on a cloudy day.  I'm cool with using the grid also.  My goal is to be 85%-99% off the grid. 

85-99% can be the point where you get the best value: short ROI. It take some time to get the overview on how all works and wht can do and not do. It took some time before i understood why and how over paneling is no problem is your inside max voltage. I wish I had added a few more panels too when its the hottest season.. But all in all very happy with my setup.

Pink

• Thanks 1