Bye bye Thailand, thanks for nothing!

ujayujay

11 minutes ago, Freddy42OZ said:

No one has raised the issue faced by old boys on pensions who won't be able to afford to take their wifey back home with them if they have to leave Thailand over this. 

Or the pensioners who've got kids and won't be able to afford to take their kids with them.  

However, I think this whole issue will blow over.   

This is an issue that the Thai government historically cares little or nothing about.

Edited by Fr87

If I was some pi yai in government reading this thread I would be more than satisfied that we were over the target. A previous poster who said their wife would go back to voting for the junta has a naive faith that they would reverse the direction of travel. They have found a huge amount of money untaxed and easily traceable in the digital age. Governments of whatever stripe are not going to be able to resist dipping into this pool.

• Like 1

The government is probably targeting Thais with overseas income, the fact that expat pensioners is caught by this is probably not even on the government's radar. 

The fact that for months, the expat retiree community hasn't made noise loud enough to reach or for the government to response just proves how insignificant this particular population is

proves them wrong by leaving, make Pattaya empty and in ruins, that'll show them. 

As long as I'm here (as a mere white guy, not a very special white guy), let me offer a tax evasion tip.

Get a Schwab ATM account in a diff name. Take withdrawals from it.

Very hard to trace that income received back to you. I did this for years in England.

1 minute ago, Mike Lister said:

Those are sucker farang prices, the cost in the NOrth at an expert clinic is 50k max.

https://www.indenteclinic.com/fee

While I agree the price is over the top and DH now caters more to medical tourism it has been a gold standard for decades. Sheryl uses/d it as I did for decades.

A rear implant for 50k all in at a top Thai clinic. Lol.

Not sure what you sent me it's in Thai.

Funny, all the brokies in CM telling real Thailand how it is.

1 minute ago, Fr87 said:

While I agree the price is over the top and DH now caters more to medical tourism it has been a gold standard for decades. Sheryl uses/d it as I did for decades.

Here's the complete link, change the language setting in the upper right hand corner and see the costs page, 50k all in and the doctor is an associate professor at CMU..https://www.indenteclinic.com/en/

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Prubangboy said:

Get a Schwab ATM account in a diff name. Take withdrawals from it.

They won't process without taxid.

You just provided or potentially provided illegal advice - which won't even work

Wake n Bake much?

• Confused 2

4 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

Here's the complete link, change the language setting in the upper right hand corner and see the costs page, 50k all in and the doctor is an associate professor at CMU..https://www.indenteclinic.com/en/

I've been able to make it deeper the website. When you do get to fees there's no fee there's no hyperlink.

You may or may not know that many Dental operations and clinics will break out the cost for an implant. Therefore, the basic work for implant in some cases might be as low in some clinics as 50,000 k agreed. Then you have a number of other things that could be associated with the procedure. Finally, what is not included in that price is the crown which is often another 15 to 30,000.

Fees no fees?

https://www.indenteclinic.com/en/fee

Edited by Fr87

3 minutes ago, Fr87 said:

It's not potentially illegal, it's totally illegal to hide income. It def works and many people do it. Including me for 8 years in savvier UK.

You're mad at white guys on general and you think anyone who lives in Chiang Mai is broke. I'd say a wake and bake would chill you out.

Me? Just smoked a bowl, thanks. Off to the gym.

3 minutes ago, Fr87 said:

That's because you aren't able to escape the safety of the farang ghetto's and the tourist trap areas of the big city.

BTW, here's a heads up, dentistry is not the same as heart transplants, there are literally thousands of excellent highly skilled dentists in Thailand, it's shame you've been too lazy to go find one that is priced normally. Gold standard my arse. Interested in cataract surgery? At the Rutnin in Bangkok it's upwards of 140k per eye, a couple of hospitals near by offer the same thing for 24k, this is the same 15 minutes procedure that ophthalmologists do all overt world, in unsanitary conditions and in the backs of mobile hospitals. Still, if you wanted to pay the highest possible price, that's your prerogative.

11 minutes ago, digbeth said:

The government is probably targeting Thais with overseas income,

Yes, this is the target. Nevertheless, nothing to dissuade or assuage expat community not to worry - so, worry

In the end, I think it will be much ado about nothing with tax treaties. I just don't fancy filing an additional tax form in half to deal with additional scrutiny.

4 minutes ago, Fr87 said:

I've been able to make it deeper the website. When you do get to fees there's no fee there's no hyperlink.

You may or may not know that many Dental operations and clinics will break out the cost for an implant. Therefore, the basic work for implant in some cases might be as low in some clinics as 50,000 k agreed. Then you have a number of other things that could be associated with the procedure. Finally, what is not included in that price is the crown which is often another 15 to 30,000.

Fees no fees?

https://www.indenteclinic.com/en/fee

Click on the link tab marked "fees", the prices are al there, don't tell me you can't even navigate around a web site, no wonder you get ripped off so much! The implant cost is 40k, the crown is 10k, read the site and see for yourself!!!

Edited by Mike Lister
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Mike Lister said:

That's because you aren't able to escape the safety of the farang ghetto's and the tourist trap areas of the big city.

BTW, here's a heads up, dentistry is not the same as heart transplants, there are literally thousands of excellent highly skilled dentists in Thailand, it's shame you've been too lazy to go find one that is priced normally. Gold standard my arse. Interested in cataract surgery? At the Rutnin in Bangkok it's upwards of 140k per eye, a couple of hospitals near by offer the same thing for 24k, this is the same 15 minutes procedure that ophthalmologists do all overt world, in unsanitary conditions and in the backs of mobile hospitals. Still, if you wanted to pay the highest possible price, that's your prerogative.

You're absolutely right.

Don't mind me I've only lived in seven Asian countries in thirty two years. Traveled from Afghanistan to Raja Ampat and north to Korean DMZ. Spent extensive time in every South and East Asian country save for Brunei

First set foot in BKK in 92. Please, tell me all about my ignorance of the country and region.

Yes, CM is brokie and geriatric heaven.

Just now, Fr87 said:

You're absolutely right.

Don't mind me I've only lived in seven Asian countries in thirty two years. Traveled from Afghanistan to Raja Ampat and north to Korean DMZ. Spent extensive time in every South and East Asian country save for Brunei

First set foot in BKK in 92. Please, tell me all about my ignorance of the country and region.

Yes, CM is brokie and geriatric heaven.

I've decided, you're a troll and just want antagonise and provoke, welcome to my ignore lust. bye.

9 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

Click on the link tab marked "fees", the prices are al there, don't tell me you can't even navigate around a web site, no wonder you get ripped off so much! The implant cost is 40k, the crown is 10k, read the site and see for yourself!!!

I did that and sent you the link. There is a webpage stating fees but no fees.

No fees nor hyperlinks in Firefox

Screenshot_2023-12-09-08-54-33-24_3aea4af51f236e4932235fdada7d1643.jpg

Edited by Fr87

23 hours ago, ujayujay said:

Why are pensioners with low pensions in particular penalized by the new tax system for foreigners!? Does the Thai government actually believe that this will result in more tax revenue at the end of the day? There will be an exodus of expats with the result that in certain places the property market will collapse and the purchasing power of those remaining will be reduced by the amount of tax they pay! This, in turn, affects small businesses that have been hit by the poor economy, which can then pay less taxes or have to go out of business! The fact that this whole story is being treated by the government like a secret mission (little information until Zero in the media) suggests that those responsible are not convinced of their case! In any case, I say no to the state raid on my pension and say byebye Thailand!

What is your opinion?

Tax 2024.png

as it has been mentioned since the beginning of this tax issue, none of us actually knows definitively what the Thai tax folks are going to do come 1 January.  On 15 Dec, the Thai American Chamber of Commerce will be holding a ZOOM question and answer about the upcoming tax issue and reportedly will have Thai tax folks there.  It is a free link that has also been provided recently and works for me a retired American drawing a pension from the US Govt.  I will be listening to the questions and answers on 15 Dec and will then provide immediately thereafter, any pertinent information that they do give.  If it is like everything to date, then I and you will not be any closer to the final picture but we will have what the embassy has and hopefully if it does affect our US taxes then I would hope there is some official contact between the Thai  and US govt (plus some of the other 59 or so countries with a taxation agreement with Thailand will also let their ex-pats know anything official.  Relax until we really know what is going on as it might not really affect most of us anyway.

• Like 1