Immigration 800K Requirements No Passbook

I was wondering, those of you who have your 800K in an app only account, such as SCB EZ with no passbook, when extending your visa,
apart from a 12-month statement, what is accepted at immigration, in lieu of passbook pages, confirming your balance the day of application?

2 minutes ago, ripstanley said:

Go to your local Immigration office and ask them. They are the ones who will say ok or not ok. Depending on their answer you may have to change your account. Good luck

Thanks, but I'm sure there are a few on here who have the answer based on their experience with the same type of account....

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, JWNZ said:

Thanks, but I'm sure there are a few on here who have the answer based on their experience with the same type of account....

Going to see them was good advice JWNZ.......the thing about Thailand Gov rules , is that they are not consistent.....Interpretations-- change from area to area..... they shouldn't, but they do.

Edited by oxo1947

2 hours ago, JWNZ said:

Unless those with experience live in your district and attend the same immigration office and happen to encounter the same immigration officer, their experience with using a non-passbook account will be nothing more than an interesting anecdote.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

Unless those with experience live in your district and attend the same immigration office and happen to encounter the same immigration officer, their experience with using a non-passbook account will be nothing more than an interesting anecdote.

Absolutely correct. The same Immig Officer may well give you different answers on different days.🙃🙃

• Like 1

As others have already said, you should ask at your local immigration office.  Many of them have an information desk that checks your documents when you apply for an extension, so that would be a good place to start.  One potential drawback to not having a passbook that I can see is that, in my local office, they need to see the balance updated on the day of the extension application.  My bank (KBank) only give a statement showing up to the previous day's balance.  I also need to get them to copy the last used page of my bank book (after making a transaction to get an entry for that day) while I'm getting the letter and statement.  I know some offices allow you to get your bank letter and statement a day or more before making the application, which is why knowledge of local office requirements is vital.

1 hour ago, NoDisplayName said:

And, last but not least, experience in the same year. Experience from a couple of years previous is good for nothing. e.g., CM IO now (since a few months) asks for bank year-long statement even for orange passbook without any transactions - in addition to the usual bank letter. Can't undestand why so many here are reluctant to ask their own IO... unless they live really far away.

12 hours ago, JWNZ said:

Hello

Did you not read the post, there is NO passbook.

My bad seems they will accept a SCB EZ account without a passbook at CW now as per post above. Previously it has always required a passbook account and may still at other imm offices.

Edited by mokwit

14 hours ago, JWNZ said:
14 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

Then why in God's name put your 'immigration money' into an account that you know has no passbook, when a passbook is a requirement by immigration? 

1.5% interest as opposed to 0.9% with my current passbook account, one reason.

Not a very rational reason if it bars you from getting an extension.   Which do you need more, an extension or 0.6% extra interest?

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

When I had an account at HSBC, I did not have a passbook.  CW Immigration usually took the confirmtion letter from the Bank as acceptable.  One I/O asked fro a banksatement and checked that I had alwasy had > 800K in the account.  Never seemed to be  problem, so long as you hd had the money in the account.

• Thanks 1

Scb ez account was accepted at Chaegwattna (Bkk) immigration for my 7th non O Extension Thai wife in September 2023,

Statement + Balance confirmation letter, 200 Baht....... 

https://www.scb.co.th/en/personal-banking/other-services/certificate-of-finance/certification-of-deposit-account-balance.html

Edited by walailak
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Not a very rational reason if it bars you from getting an extension.   Which do you need more, an extension or 0.6% extra interest?

According to a number of replies, this type of account is accepted, including at Chiang Mai where Ill extend, so to answer your 2nd question "both" so win win........

Edited by JWNZ
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, JWNZ said:
3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

According to a number of replies, this type of account is accepted, including at Chiang Mai where Ill extend, so to answer your 2nd question "both" so win win........

Notice the "if" in my post.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

Then why in God's name put your 'immigration money' into an account that you know has no passbook, when a passbook is a requirement by immigration? 

Look before you leap.  There were several AN/TV reports of successful extensions by expats using the SCB EZ savings account in CM before I “leaped”.

55 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

Look before you leap.  There were several AN/TV reports of successful extensions by expats using the SCB EZ savings account in CM before I “leaped”.

And it is contravention of the rules and you take that at your own risk. Accounts with a passbook do not need to take any risk.  It's just plain common sense. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

59 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

And it is contravention of the rules and you take that at your own risk. Accounts with a passbook do not need to take any risk.  It's just plain common sense. 

It is very common that what many consider to be the “rules” are often bent/ignored/expanded by different offices or officials.   It is also quite obvious when presented with an official 12 month statement that contains ALL the identical information as the cumbersome passbook the Immigration officers can make an absolute determination that the required funds were on deposit for the required periods.  Since I have almost no transactions on that account, the 12 month statement is much easier to assess.  Unfortunately SCB has started paying the interest monthly so 10 more transactions every year henceforth.

Edited by gamb00ler
  • Thumbs Up 1

End of the day, the bank statement and letter of balance confirms what you have in your account, that may or may not include a passbook.

Eliminating the need for passbooks, looks to me like the way of future banking, except in regard to SCB, they have implemented it ahead of others.

15 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

Unfortunately SCB has started paying the interest monthly so 10 more transactions every year henceforth.

On the contrary good news, I would have thought, if your immigration office, like mine (Rayong), now requires evidence of monthly transactions relating to your 800k account, be this through a 12-month statement or passbook entries.

If only Krungsri were to start doing the same in the case of my dedicated 800k account, I would then be spared the chore of having to make token 10 THB transfers into it each month!