Fury grows over Tory visa rules where ‘only the rich’ dare fall in love

CharlieH

56 minutes ago, proton said:

They are still almost all fake- coming from a safe country all of them are, there is no danger to them in France so they are  all illegal economic migrants. They should not even be fed never mind put up in hotels and be given money every week. Powell was right in 1968- we must be mad literally mad, its like a nation building up it own funeral pyre.

Nice bit of right wing propaganda there.

Sadly, for you, it's flawed.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

On 12/16/2023 at 5:22 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Absolute garbage at its best.  Britons can marry even if they have zero income or rely solely on state benefits.   This has nothing whatsoever to do with marriage, per se, or who can marry whom, it is only about allowing foreigners into Britain.

You've completely missed the point I was trying to make, and it was tongue in cheek when pointing out the hypocrisy of it all.

On 12/16/2023 at 5:22 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Absolute garbage at its best.  Britons can marry even if they have zero income or rely solely on state benefits.   This has nothing whatsoever to do with marriage, per se, or who can marry whom, it is only about allowing foreigners into Britain.

Here is the second line from the article:  Unless every foreigner emigrating to the UK is the spouse of some British citizen, your comment makes no sense.

"James Cleverly, the home secretary, announced last week that a British citizen who wants to sponsor their foreign spouse to live with them in the UK will need to earn at least £38,700 a year to qualify for a family visa application."

Unless every foreigner emigrating to the UK is the spouse of some British citizen, your comment makes no sense.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

50 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Not a policy change. 

Only confirming the date that was previously unconfirmed.

It's unlikely the current government will still be in power by 2025. I wonder what the new powers that be will do.

Seems that delay has upset many, including the ERG, in the PMs own party.

Any change of government will not be making this a high priority, as the policy of increasing the amount will be seen as a vote winner by many in the UK.

https://news.sky.com/story/rishi-sunak-under-fire-from-own-mps-over-family-visa-salary-threshold-delay-13036412

On 12/16/2023 at 2:49 PM, JonnyF said:

If I state the reasons for this, my post will be removed. Which says it all really. It used to be quite a diverse and interesting forum. Now it's essentially a handful of prolific posters screaming racist at everyone they disagree with and liking each others posts. 

I have to agree, except it's been that way since 2016.

If they are not accusing posters they disagree with of being racist, it's being misogynist, or antisemitic or such like.

As the recipient of many such attacks, I know most of the slurs they use, but sometimes they come up with a new one. It used to annoy me, and then I discovered the ignore function, which made my posting experience so much better.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

"We"?

You (singular) don't need to take my word for it. Of course you don't. The figures of how many asylum claims are rejected are out there. 

A comment saying "most are fake", especially with no proof, is flawed.

The onus is always on the one making the claim, which was you. It's not up to me to prove anything for you.

• Confused 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The onus is always on the one making the claim, <snip>

Correct, so ask the person making the claim 'most are fake' to backup his claim.

The problem is you agree with the claim so don't want to see it refuted.

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

I didnt make the claim. Its was another poster. The claim that most asylum claims are fake is flawed, as you seem to agree.

I have not asked you to prove anything.

Anyway.....https://www.refugeecouncil.org.uk/information/refugee-asylum-facts/the-truth-about-asylum/

If I mistook

"You (singular) don't need to take my word for it. Of course you don't. The figures of how many asylum claims are rejected are out there. 

A comment saying "most are fake", especially with no proof, is flawed."

as being a claim of fact, when it wasn't, apologies.

I'll carry on believing that that poster had it right on the fake asylum claims.

49 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If I mistook

"You (singular) don't need to take my word for it. Of course you don't. The figures of how many asylum claims are rejected are out there. 

A comment saying "most are fake", especially with no proof, is flawed."

as being a claim of fact, when it wasn't, apologies.

I'll carry on believing that that poster had it right on the fake asylum claims.

You missed the link, then?

Any claim, whatever the subject, that cannot be backed by facts, is flawed.

If you carry on believing, despite links being provided to the contrary, your thoughts are flawed.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

From the link you were provided.

I know you think only your opinion, is the truth, but try to read the facts.

This is what happens when you ignore anyone that disagrees with you. (You have pages and pages of posters on your ignore, your own words). 

You show you ignorance, when you are trapped in your own echo chamber.

IMG_1901.jpeg

No point, you're most likely on his ignore list 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Till someone proves that most of the claims are not false I certainly do choose to believe that they are.

3 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

From the link you were provided.

I know you think only your opinion, is the truth, but try to read the facts.

This is what happens when you ignore anyone that disagrees with you. (You have pages and pages of posters on your ignore, your own words). 

You show you ignorance, when you are trapped in your own echo chamber.

IMG_1901.jpeg

There you go.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Given his personal insults you can take that as a fact.

You're in luck then that I provided the link to show your opinion doesn't correlate with the facts.

No need to thank me, my new years gift to you.

• Haha 1