What Category of Diesel Do You Use in Your Vehicle?

Banana7

There seems to be a variety  of diesel fuels for motor vehicles, B7, B10 and B20. With bio additives to pure diesel, the fuel degrades faster, with microbial growth and other factors. What level of bio do you use in your motor vehicle?

ASTM D7371

ASTM D7371 is the standard test method for determination of biodiesel content in diesel fuel using mid infrared spectroscopy. Biodiesel consists of fatty acid methyl esters (FAME) and is blended with ULSD for use in most industries. A 5% bio-blend can be sold as straight ULSD without notifying the customer (still falls under ASTM D975). Due to its production from fats and oils, it is particularly susceptible to oxidation (environmental breakdown), microbial growth, and has a higher affinity for water (holds more water in the fuel)).For these reasons, it can be important to know the amount of the biodiesel within your tank. Backup power fuel sources sit for longer than normal amounts of time, leading to excessive time for fuel breakdown within the tank.

Edited by Banana7

As its the same price, B7 all the way. The pickup is a year old and can run B20 but I see no reason to use it without a price incentive. When the prices return to normal market rates, we'll see. Like my previous petrol car, I'll probably try them all and see which feels best to drive (91 was the best for my car). So far Shell B7 is what I'm sticking with. I'd love to try the premium but that's more than a thousand baht extra per tank. 

10 minutes ago, DavisH said:

B7 premium (almost always from PTT). It's Euro 5 compliant, and the preferred fuel for my car (crv diesel). It's not worth to spend this much if you car doesnt actually need it. I get 16-20km/l so its ok for me to use. 

The white B7 ?

My local PTT don't sell that :-(

image.png.320e0f6437c77008bc7f3467cabedd44.png

PTT does not offer B20 currently.

As far as I remember the crazy idea was buried after Indonesia cut palm oil export and drove prices skyhigh. More important to have palm oil on the supermarket shelf than in the tank.

There is "Diesel", "Diesel B7" and some "Premium Diesel B7".

As written Diesel and Diesel B7 same price.

I am not sure but it could be that both are identical currently.

Premium at a whopping 41+ Baht.

Screenshot_20231211_140057_PTT Station.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

The white B7 ?

My local PTT don't sell that :-(

image.png.320e0f6437c77008bc7f3467cabedd44.png

Yes the lst one in the photo. I tried to use regular b7, but on the second tank of it I sensed that the engine was noiser and not as smooth. But for more regular diesel pickups, premium is not required anyway as there is no benefit to using it. 

16 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

PTT does not offer B20 currently.

As far as I remember the crazy idea was buried after Indonesia cut palm oil export and drove prices skyhigh. More important to have palm oil on the supermarket shelf than in the tank.

There is "Diesel", "Diesel B7" and some "Premium Diesel B7".

As written Diesel and Diesel B7 same price.

I am not sure but it could be that both are identical currently.

Premium at a whopping 41+ Baht.

Screenshot_20231211_140057_PTT Station.jpg

Does anyone know why the price difference between 91 and 95 seems to be increasing? Seem to recall it used to cost about half a baht more for 95, now it is almost two baht more.

1 hour ago, alanrchase said:

Does anyone know why the price difference between 91 and 95 seems to be increasing? Seem to recall it used to cost about half a baht more for 95, now it is almost two baht more.

In a doubtful move the government decided to lower the price of 91 with tax reduction or the like.

I have no idea what sense this makes.

Years ago they announced that 91 will be abolished (like it is in most or all of Europe).

A populist move to get good headlines about lowering fuel price.

They seem to have no idea what logistics cost is.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thanks 1

On 12/11/2023 at 1:13 AM, Banana7 said:

There seems to be a variety  of diesel fuels for motor vehicles, B7, B10 and B20. With bio additives to pure diesel, the fuel degrades faster, with microbial growth and other factors. What level of bio do you use in your motor vehicle?

ASTM D7371

ASTM D7371 is the standard test method for determination of biodiesel content in diesel fuel using mid infrared spectroscopy. Biodiesel consists of fatty acid methyl esters (FAME) and is blended with ULSD for use in most industries. A 5% bio-blend can be sold as straight ULSD without notifying the customer (still falls under ASTM D975). Due to its production from fats and oils, it is particularly susceptible to oxidation (environmental breakdown), microbial growth, and has a higher affinity for water (holds more water in the fuel)).For these reasons, it can be important to know the amount of the biodiesel within your tank. Backup power fuel sources sit for longer than normal amounts of time, leading to excessive time for fuel breakdown within the tank.

After cooking I use that frying oil. Works perfect. 👍

1 hour ago, stix40 said:

Shell B7 V Power for

Me truck runs like a dream and I don't want a huge bill unclogging fuel injectors or problems with fuel pump etc .

Bit more expensive but less than a costly repair.

The industry is happy about consumers who believe anything and unnecessarily pay more for the same product:post-4641-1156694572:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stix40 said:

Shell B7 V Power for

Me truck runs like a dream and I don't want a huge bill unclogging fuel injectors or problems with fuel pump etc .

Bit more expensive but less than a costly repair.

Because only Shell has this Premium diesel, and Shell always ask the highest price, I refuse to use Shell.

But I'm now 76, from my 26 th year I drive diesel cars, in the begin i drove average about 100.000 km/year, now les, but: always use regular diesel, and have Never, again NEVER clogging fuel injectors.

Oh, by the way, you live in Europe and have the Euro, about Shell, when the euro made its appearance, Shell was afraid they would lose money, so before you had even filled up a drop, there was already 2 eurocents on the pumpmeter.

Shell was the only company to do so.

Edited by Peterphuket
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Peterphuket said:

Because only Shell has this Premium diesel, and Shell always ask the highest price, I refuse to use Shell.

But I'm now 76, from my 26 th year I drive diesel cars, in the begin i drove average about 100.000 km/year, now les, but: always use regular diesel, and have Never, again NEVER clogging fuel injectors.

Other providers also have a premium diesel but Shell's is better and the most expensive due to the additives in their mixture. Importantly to me, it just feels nicer to drive. For the sake of a baht or two I'm happy with that trade off. If money were more important to me, I wouldn't have bought a Ranger.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

Oh, by the way, you live in Europe and have the Euro, about Shell, when the euro made its appearance, Shell was afraid they would lose money, so before you had even filled up a drop, there was already 2 eurocents on the pumpmeter.

Shell was the only company to do so.

It's ok Peter I stick to my preferred choice thanks .

Truck runs like a dream with 40 mpg  so I am more than happy! 

• Thumbs Up 1

new cars next year are Euro 5 compliant only now

who knows how the lower grade diesel will play with the particulate filter fitted in these newer diesels

I used to get lots of soots from cheapest Bangchak and PTTs in the B5-ฺฺB10 only days, Shells and Essos were noticably better so I switched to Esso and Esso premium, now that Esso's gone it's Bangchak Premium B7

• Thanks 1