Boeing 787 emergency dive: Gulf Air flight’s shocking diversion to Bangkok sparks panic

webfact

On 12/13/2023 at 2:49 AM, webfact said:

detour from Bahrain to Dhaka, diving into an emergency landing in Bangkok

That's at least a 2 hour flight. 

Landing somewhere in India would have been more practical. 

Oh well, pilot probably wanted to spend the night in BKK 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

7 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It couldn't land at Dhaka and had to divert.

I have actually been on that flight..... Bahrain to Dhaka, Gulf Air, at the front! I was going to some project in the middle of nowhere  from Saudi, and not looking forward to  it at all... a diversion to Bangkok  would have had me dancing in the aisles!

Edited by jacko45k

I used to fly every other month with Gulf Air from Saudi, then to Abu Dhabi and BKK. 

I spent a lot of time in the lounge waiting for my connection to BKK, the circular terminal was interesting. 

Sadly during the Hajj coming out of Jeddah, most flights would be delayed for the connecting flight to BKK, regularly one of the elderly Hajj men would die on the flight.

Most of these old guys have never been on a flight in their life but due to their stupid religious requirements make the trek. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

6 minutes ago, WorriedNoodle said:
10 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

Would be interesting to know the full story -

Did you copy that Puntid?

I'm hoping she'll include this quote from the valiant Captain, who conclusively battled to wrangle the dramatic plane to a thrilling landing:

"Because I was inverted".

- No idea whats with the journo --

However on second glance, it's the pilot who is the hero. Not all heroes wear cape’s. 
He could have diverted to Kolkata, Delhi, Madras, or even Yangon. Oh Yeah, What fun  :sad: . However, he knew they would have to overnight, given refueling, &  flight time req’s for pilots. Plus Dhaka must clear enough to open, it could be longer. He made a command decision … ‘Diverting to Bangkok’ 

We have the Power.
We have the fuel.

Pull out the aviator shades, Punch on Danger Zone – 
Que up ‘One Night in Bangkok’. I bet the crew was going nuts at this news! Woohoo!  
Obviously, he has The Right Stuff. This pilot deserves a medal.

@Liverpool Lou I believe at least 32 people would disagree with you. The Thaiger Story linked to, which obviously you haven't read, is also totally incomprehensible.

Sometime after I posted my comment @bamnutsak kindly posted a link to an article in Aviation Source News. It is a properly crafted article which is also grammatically correct and explains clearly what the problem was and what action was taken and why as opposed to the amateurish badly written Thaiger article.

On 12/13/2023 at 12:54 AM, bamnutsak said:

14 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Read the full linked story, all is perfectly clear,

5 minutes ago, RobU said:

Sometime after I posted my comment @bamnutsak kindly posted a link to an article in Aviation Source News. It is a properly crafted article which is also grammatically correct and explains clearly what the problem was and what action was taken and why as opposed to the amateurish badly written Thaiger article.

Per that link:

"the reason for the 7700 emergency squawk was due to the crew running low on fuel, so needed a priority into Bangkok as a result. "

Makes perfect sense. And also makes it clear that there was no emergency as such, just an understandable need to divert.

29 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Per that link:

"the reason for the 7700 emergency squawk was due to the crew running low on fuel, so needed a priority into Bangkok as a result. "

Makes perfect sense. And also makes it clear that there was no emergency as such, just an understandable need to divert.

Yes, I said that article makes sense, the Thaiger article does not make sense I dont understand your point

Edited by RobU

On 12/13/2023 at 1:27 AM, herfiehandbag said:

It is probably a good idea, if you are going to do " cut and paste journalism", to cut from relevant materials?

The wranglings over Bobby Charlton's funeral arrangements are hard to connect with a flight diversion in South East Asia!

Don't have sub editors on Thaiger do you! 

You should also look at a map before you publish a story about an aircraft en route from Bahrain to Dhaka diverting to Bangkok in an emergency. And have enough geography to have the red flags pop up to send you to said map.

I don't think they've found the words editor or sub-editor in the dictionary yet.

Maybe I'll pay them a visit next trip. It was one of my favorite tasks in a broader position. Great fun.

Edited by BusyB

1 minute ago, BusyB said:

You should also look at a map before you publish a story about an aircraft en route from Bahrain to Dhaka diverting to Bangkok in an emergency. 

Yes, it can't have been too much of an emergency - they flew over or near at least three international airports capable of handling a Boeing 787: Yangon, Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai!

• Thumbs Up 1