Tourist dies after being refused treatment at BKK private hospital - Tim Newton Today - Dec 13

webfact

image.jpeg

Thailand news - Thais and Taiwanese media are shocked at a private hospital in Bangkok refusing emergency treatment for a critically injured patient and sending him off to another hospital. He died before reaching the second hospital. Thai exports sluggish this year but an excellent Motor Expo result for Toyota and Chinese EV brands.

A Russian man, dressed only in skimpy shorts, ended up standing on a balcony at Phuket Airport, speed-dating event in Bangkok this weekend, another day of poor air quality for Bangkok and central Thailand, if you make more than 100 phone calls a day, the NBTC will suspend your phone number, and four police have been suspended pending an investigation over an alleged rape of a woman in Pathum Thani.

Tim Newton Today is a daily take on Thai and regional news and issues of interest to expats and foreign tourists.

• Sad 2

The Hippocratic Oath, “I will use my power to help the sick to the best of my ability and judgement; I will abstain from harming or wronging any man by it,” orders doctors to do their best in their job and not use their skill or knowledge to harm or kill their patients.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, it is what it is said:

The Hippocratic Oath, “I will use my power to help the sick to the best of my ability and judgement; I will abstain from harming or wronging any man by it,” orders doctors to do their best in their job and not use their skill or knowledge to harm or kill their patients.

More like Hippopotamus oath in Thailand. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Did we not just got to read recently, that by Thai law, any hospital needs to accept patients, for at least the first 72 hours of medical care, regardless of insurance / money. If so, that means the hospital is liable to the foreigners death, and some people should be prosecuted? But this is Thailand.

I thought there was at least an obligation to stabilize a patient in an Emergency situation.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Taiwanese media are shocked at a private hospital in Bangkok refusing emergency treatment for a critically injured patient and sending him off to another hospital. He died before reaching the second hospital.

How are those Chinese Baidu searches going for "Will I die if I vacation in Thailand?"

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

I thought there was at least an obligation to stabilize a patient in an Emergency situation.

It should be anywhere, even in wartime. As so often, Thailand has the laws, they are just rarely enforced.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

7 years ago went into a private hospital, retina had detached. They said they could get me in the operating room in an hour. But first Mr Marcus we must check your credit cards. They checked the limits on my cards and prepped me for surgery. I have no doubt they would have turned me away if credit check failed. 

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, it is what it is said:

That ship sailed a long time ago.

Govts now manipulate the laws in their favour for a certain outcome and money now overrides that Hippocratic oath.

Edited by freeworld
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

Pretty disgusting behaviour but there are opposite examples. About 15 years ago I went to Ram 1 in Chiang mai for some blood tests, I sat outside the lab, next to me a Thai man. A doctor came and spoke to the Thai man telling him that he needed treatment for cancer (not very private but they probably assumed I couldn't speak Thai). The patient who had been waiting for the results of his tests was devastated when the doc told him the approximate cost would be 400K, he said he couldn't pay that much. The doc said he wasn't to worry they would treat him any way and he could pay in affordable monthly installments.

2 hours ago, it is what it is said:

Well, this is Thailand, where the first question is: "Do you have money (or insurance)?", and the second is: "Are you Thai, or a foreigner?", and the answers to both questions will determine if/how they treat you, and 'how much'... 

• Agree 2

20 minutes ago, bwanajohn said:

Doctors take the Hippocratic Oath not hospital administrators.

3 hours ago, it is what it is said:

The Hippocratic Oath, “ I will use my power to help the sick to the best of my ability and judgment; I will abstain from harming or wronging any man by it ,” orders doctors to do their best in their job and not use their skill or knowledge to harm or kill their patients.

I'm pretty sure the oath applies only after accepting the patient, or working on the patient. Refusing care, or just passing an injured person on the sidewalk, does not fall under the "do no harm" clause to my understanding.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, BangkokHank said:

And all the Thai authorities are going to be concerned about is the damage to Thailand's reputation  - and not the unnecessary death of this unfortunate accident victim.

Sad, but true. Never about the tourists in Thailand, but only about their money. No wonder, that many only visit once.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Sad, but true. Never about the tourists in Thailand, but only about their money. No wonder, that many only visit once.

And the bigger irony is that the Thai Medical industry makes Billions directly from foreigners... meanwhile the cost burden of unpaid foreigners bills is Millions and relatively insignificant when compared... 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thailand already collects entry fees from travellers to help 'solve the problem of unpaid medical bills left behind by foreigners who suffered illness, injury, or death during their time in Thailand'.

Thailand's new entry fee – boon or bust for tourism? | Thai PBS World : The latest Thai news in English, News Headlines, World News and News Broadcasts in both Thai and English. We bring Thailand to the world

Edited by LosLobo
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

Thailand already collects entry fees from travellers to help 'solve the problem of unpaid medical bills left behind by foreigners who suffered illness, injury, or death during their time in Thailand'.

Thailand's new entry fee – boon or bust for tourism? | Thai PBS World : The latest Thai news in English, News Headlines, World News and News Broadcasts in both Thai and English. We bring Thailand to the world

Are you sure about that ??????   

I'm so glad that this hospital has shown its true colours to the rest of the World. A few years back I was sent there by speed boat and ambulance from KP and wheeled straight into ICU having had a suspected heart attack. Along comes a nurse with a clipboard asking me to sign an admittance form agreeing to pay 68000 tbh PER NIGHT for the pleasure of staying. It was Saturday night and I asked the nurse when would I see the cardiologist. Not before Tuesday she replied, there's not a cardiologist on the Island before then. Fortunately I had recovered somewhat and was able to work out that I would be racking up a bill for 200000 tbh having my blood pressure checked for the next 3 nights while waiting for the cardiologist. Anyway, to cut a long story short, I got my gf to call a taxi and take me to the state hospital, where I spent the night. I was given the OK and discharged the following morning and the bill, including medication was less than 7000tbh.

Thankfully I was more fortunate than the poor Taiwanese.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, it is what it is said:

should add no money   !!!!!!!!!!!!