Has Your Arrival in Thailand Caused You to Change Your Religion?

GammaGlobulin

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Didn't have one to begin with.  

Did you ever see a Santa on a slate rooftop trying to decide which chimney was the right one to descend, atop a house on the Main Line?

It's the same thing.

Too many religions to choose from, even if you have not yet chosen one.

Why not just choose one, at random?

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Did you ever see a Santa on a slate rooftop trying to decide which chimney was the right one to descend, atop a house on the Main Line?

It's the same thing.

Hated slate roofs, and scared the hell out of me.  Same with wood, especially if wet.

Santa definitely had choices, as did one place on main line, had 5 damn chimneys.  Rich people ... good day for me though.

9 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

It's the same thing.

Santa is not real.

• Confused 3

My thesis was about the development of Buddhism in Burma so guess I was predisposed in that direction when I decided to do follow up research in Thailand.

Not sure I have the faculties to do much with it the now, but married my “ factotum” whom I encountered on line and love the nation, generally. A bit soured currently on the U.S. prospects.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2023 at 5:15 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

It's the same thing.

Why chose any of these sects at all?

On 12/14/2023 at 8:24 PM, GammaGlobulin said:

After you came to Thailand, did you decide to change your religion?

And, why?

Also, if you believe that you will be reborn after death, how do you think this will happen?

Will you be resurrected?

Or, will you return to Earth in some other form?

Interesting subject, very interesting.

Yes, I switched from curious atheist to FSM (Flying Spaghetti Monster), after I found out that I'm more into facts than beliefs. Especially after I realized that Buddhism has no specific god, so there is place for everyone to pick and follow a good way of behave and live. FSM better describes my interest in facts, but still with an open curious seeking mind, and with a reasonable amount of goof humor for longevity; even that I look forward to the afterlife up in that kind of party-heaven His Noodliness has created.

Before I had en feeling of reincarnation and rebirth – perhaps I've been down here before, if I trust my dreams – but I'm becoming more and more suspicious, if there is anything at all beyond this life; even that the history is full of reincarnation events. I've actually read quite a bit about this extremely interesting subject, but have over time become more skeptic.

Resurrected or return? If I'm resurrected my soul – or whatever it might be – will end somewhere up there in heavenly spheres; hopefully in the "party-heaven". If I'm reborn – or rather some om my thoughts or whatever spirit or soul is – I might end up with dreams and curious questions about the possibility of reincarnation. If I end up as something in between this life and resurrection or rebirth, I'll probably become a ghost, or rather an irritating poltergeist, who likes to teaser other; i.e. the living ones.

So far I've decided and wrote in my will, that my physical remains just shall be burned and nothing else done. I have moved on, one or other way. Funeral and ceremonies are for those still here – not me, I'm already gone – so if any left has a need, they are welcome, if it can help, but don't do anything, believing that it's for me or my wish. If you have any good things you wish to say to me, then say it now, and not at a funeral ceremony, when I'm already gone.

Nope.  I was a Theravada Buddhist decades before I came here.  Coming here aligned me with my religion. 
But - I'm not a Thai Buddhist, although I've been a Theravada monk in Thailand, and although Thai Buddhism is based on the Theravada tradition.  But it is NOT the sole Therevada Buddhist tradition in Southeast Asia or the world for that matter.

Not that Immigration give a hoot.  They don't.

On 12/14/2023 at 10:15 PM, GammaGlobulin said:

Why choose one at all?

I came here without any belief, except in my own abilities, and nothing has changed my mind. But if a bit of mumbo-jumbo makes you happy, good for you.

51 minutes ago, Fallangpakwan said:

Religion, probably worst disease man has encountered. I do though respect and agree with the words of the Buddha though

Not a disease.....an age.

It is one of the "Ages of Mankind".......the big version of the "Ages of Man".

It's something that mankind, as a species, has to confront, deal with, pass through and leave behind.....just as we do, as individuals, with infancy, childhood, adolescence, etc.

There are many who have troubled childhoods and adolescence.......and many who do not.

There are many on AN who clearly have not dealt with, or left behind, quite a lot.

I did religion for a while......and left it behind.

It will be a while before the rest of mankind does the same......but it will happen.

We have, potentially, millions of years before us.

Can you imagine "millions of years"?

Time for one of my favourite references I think :laugh::

29 minutes ago, Fallangpakwan said:

Religion, probably worst disease man has encountered. I do though respect and agree with the words of the Buddha though

Only if you think Buddhism is a 'religion.'  I'm a "Buddhist."  A devout Buddhist at that.

But in my perspective?  Buddhism IS NOT a religion.  Religions are based on Faith. Religions are based on a belief in a transcendent "God" who provided the faithful with their due.

Buddha was a man.  He provided a philosophy and a technique to transcend what you hold on to as "reality."

You either understand or you don't.

Now.  Are there "Gods" in Buddhism? Yep.  Absolutely.  But Buddha's not a God.  Yet there are deities in the Buddhist cosmologies.  Some of the 'gods' are "Buddhas."  I'm sure I just ripped somebodies mind out of their socket.
There ya go.  Welcome to the conundrums, riddles, and paradoxes of the Buddhist as a so-called, "religion."

:angry: You're a heretic!!!
:thumbsup: Only if you are a believer in a religion which labels "non-believers" as heretics. 

Here's the ultimate conundrum - Understanding first-hand (NDE and deep meditation), and yet, embracing something that calls itself a "religion" and yet I have no "religious FAITH."  Nope - I've experience in what is referred to as "religious FAITH," which was derived from introspection.  Big Difference.

Nope - I'm a Buddhist who doesn't attach to any Buddhist theocracy (because there is no theism in Buddhism - speaking from direct experience).
And yet? 

If you have engaged in a whole lot of years practicing meditation........ You might understand.  Or not.

• Agree 1