Revolutionary roadmap revealed: Thailand’s expressway blitz to slash emissions

webfact

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

One honest (difficult I know) cop at the start/end of motorways checking black smoke exhausts and they'd save all the concrete on new roads.

There is no 'one simple solution' to the issue transport induced pollution.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Emdog said:

"If you build it, they will come"?

in my hometown of Portland, Oregon, back in the 60's-70's many wanted to build a

Mt Hood freeway, which would have divided/destroyed many neighborhoods (that outcome well documented across USA) AND increase traffic and thus pollution.

Citizen protests etc led to building of light rail system: far far less pollution (electic), enhanced neighborhoods, very little destruction... a win win.

What connection do these decision makers have with firms that would build all these roads?

My thought exactly to that last question. Thailand: the hub of lobbies.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JoePai said:

So they are building yet more roads for (more?) vehicles to travel on and they think that will reduce greenhouse emissions ?

Someone please explain (slowly) to me how that works

The roads in Thailand are like roads of yesteryear.  They widening.

Mittihap, the main road to Issan is still one lane in both directions.

Bottlenecks and cars stuck in hours of traffic jams contributes huge amounts of Carbon Dioxide. 

10 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Expressways certainly do reduce greenhouse emissions by relieving urban roads of congestion. It's slow moving traffic on congested roads that causes most of the transport induced pollution. 

It would be much more affective if they also improve and clean up public transport and even better if they limit access to city centres for private vehicles as the do in many European cities and Singapore of course.

56 minutes ago, BusyB said:

It's been known and demonstrated for at least three decades that the more roads you build the more cars come onto the roads. That it only serves to relocate gridlocks and the like.

https://theconversation.com/do-more-roads-really-mean-less-congestion-for-commuters-39508

Interesting article that looks at all aspects.

Yes, but more cars will come onto the roads anyway, whether you build more roads or not. Thailand has a developing economy. More wealth means more cars, it's a given.

And that is why I added my second paragraph. They have to greatly improve public transport in order to offer viable alternatives to driving, especially in the city centres. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rickudon said:

Except for all the dual carriageway bits - which means most of it. Between Udon and Nong Khai all dual carriageway, some 6 lanes. South of Udon, mainly dual carriageway, although haven't travelled that part much recently. Maybe they have grassed over a lane or two....

There slowly making it two lanes the entire way.  The US originally had it built (paved) during the Vietnam war. 

It's tough when it's a holiday, cat breakdowns, or following a slow truck full of chickens. 

Lots of it aren't well lit or not at all.  It's a third world highway in many aspects. 

22 hours ago, JoePai said:

So they are building yet more roads for (more?) vehicles to travel on and they think that will reduce greenhouse emissions ?

Someone please explain (slowly) to me how that works

Thai science and math, not same same as falang, water runs up not down according to the drain gullies near me.

Maybe what would help nationwide are computerized traffic lights like the UK have had for 50yrs+

Here 6 lanes of traffic have to stop to let a couple of cars out from a side road and wait a while with nothing else coming, sometimes none at all, and that stupid law of not being able to make a right turn with the lights on green , even though nothing is coming but have to wait for the green arrow, not even allowed to move to the center of the road. every little helps init.