Car accident, who should pay the excess?

sanook 1

On 12/16/2023 at 3:01 PM, prakhonchai nick said:

Why should he pay? The motorbike was stolen. The driver was high. Were the police called? They should have been. Tese kids need to be taught a lesson. Far too many of them.

You serious? Learn a lesson??  Your thinking is 'western style' - that does not work here.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2023 at 5:46 PM, CartagenaWarlock said:

Why would they? The contract is between you and your insurance company. Did you purchase "uninsured and underinsured coverage"? If so, the insurance company will pay for that, but then you don't have the excess. If you have excess, it means you pay the excess. Police cannot enforce an insurance contract unless a party breaks it. The police can only suspend the uninsured driver's license, but I am skeptical they will do this unless he has multiple violations. 

What about the compulsory insurance... Thats a police mater surly..... And how do people get compulsory insurance?  Via so call6 test.. so if car or bike not got a plates lights don't work.  How do they get insurance? They don't so look out.  You have to pay for there fault... 

On 12/17/2023 at 11:02 AM, NoshowJones said:

Being covered by a Thai insurance company often means no payout in a claim, I would sure like to know what percentage of Thai insurance companies have actually paid out on claims.

It can take months and a lot of expense trying to get claims paid out.

This post is in answer to Kingstonkid.

I was the victim of a hit and run 2 months back, wife made police report later that afternoon

Hospital on Friday, gov min insurance paid out for up to 30kbht on Monday.

Driver traced by police 2 weeks later, his insurance repaired my m/c and agreed 'sick pay' a week later.

Haven't had the sick pay yet, as it's a daily amount paid out when my doctor signs me off as 'fit'.

I've never seen insurance work so fast anywhere in the world.

The only expense to me was 6kbht for the hospital on Sunday aft, that they returned Monday aft after insurance approval.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I was the victim of a hit and run 2 months back, wife made police report later that afternoon

Hospital on Friday, gov min insurance paid out for up to 30kbht on Monday.

Driver traced by police 2 weeks later, his insurance repaired my m/c and agreed 'sick pay' a week later.

Haven't had the sick pay yet, as it's a daily amount paid out when my doctor signs me off as 'fit'.

I've never seen insurance work so fast anywhere in the world.

The only expense to me was 6kbht for the hospital on Sunday aft, that they returned Monday aft after insurance approval.

Thanks. Hope you are a lot better now.

On 12/15/2023 at 5:34 PM, Yellowtail said:

How would the police stamp it out easily? 

Maybe not the police, but in most countries when a third party is a fault the insurer will cover all damages and sue for damages. Way too complicated for Thailand.

On 12/16/2023 at 5:10 PM, Mattd said:
On 12/16/2023 at 4:44 PM, prakhonchai nick said:

Its all down to the failings of one inept government after another.  Full third party insurance-as a minimum-should be mandatory for all road vehicles.  Minister of Transport.....WHERE ART THOU????

100% agree

I don't disagree, but I'm keenly aware that I chose to move into an ecosystem that existed long before I got there, and will exist long after I leave.  It's incumbent on me to protect myself against risks I was fully aware of before I made that choice.  Risks like uninsured cyclists who don't have enough money.

If I want to live in a nanny state, I can always move.  They can't...  They don't enjoy that same luxury.

Edited by impulse