Thailand’s soft power strategy to generate 4 trillion baht across 11 industries

webfact

14 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

1) I can’t recall besides Thailand  where Thai Music, movies or TV shows are in high demand.  

2) Copying the “Korean Wave” or Hallyu sounds like a good idea but “TIT”.  The only thing that has true global appeal is Thai Food.  

3) Has anyone ever purchased “Thai Fashion” outside of Thailand? 

4) Stick to what is known globally:  Thai Tourism which is appealing to many in the world because “Thailand is a cheap place to visit for a short time or a long time”.  

Philippines has won the OFW (Overseas Foreign Worker) race

Vietnam is now selling Electric Vehicles in the US( The VinFast and it looks awful). No need for Thai produced EV’s. 

Korea won the “Soft Power” battle many years ago and I doubt it can be duplicated. 

Looks like Lisa will have to do a lot of heavy lifting assuming she would ever want the role.

2 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Looks like Lisa will have to do a lot of heavy lifting assuming she would ever want the role.

She had to join a Korean group to achieve fame and success.  What if she had never left Buriram?  She is an example of Korean Soft Power. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

She had to join a Korean group to achieve fame and success.  What if she had never left Buriram?  She is an example of Korean Soft Power. 

Lisa is almost 112 now as far as Thais are concerned -my wife will get angry if I try to suggest she's not as good as she thinks she is! She is appearing at Siam Paragon to open a store tomorrow apparently. So avoid the area! Carabao and Milli are probably their best export hopes.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Phumtham elaborated that the policy is aimed at creating more than 20 million jobs and generating 4 trillion baht per year through 11 industries including tourism, festivals, sports, cuisine, film, music, arts, books, gaming, design and fashion.

Joke of the year, but I fear he's actually serious.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Guderian said:

So 20 million more Burmese, Cambodian, Lao and Viet workers coming to Thailand? I doubt it, somehow.

I am guessing that figure comes from this (could be wrong) which was in a link at the end of the Thaiger article -

According to a report on Sanook, the OFOS initiative is designed to elevate Thailand’s soft power on the global stage, with an initial focus on the Thai population itself. The Pheu Thai Party’s vision is to elevate 20 million Thai citizens into highly skilled workers, each earning an annual income of at least 200,000 baht.

However further down the article it then says this 

Once a substantial number of skilled individuals have emerged, the government will work towards creating 20 million job opportunities to support this highly skilled workforce.

Ambitious.........:whistling:

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

Thai silk was once world renowned. But it took an American to do it. And he is long, long gone. Sort of like the Thai silk industry.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Brickleberry said:

3) Thai movies & shows are famously :hit-the-fan:. No one wants to watch a go-pro movie with lazy, terrible actors. 

JKN tried to export them. JKN is bankrupt now. Otherwise, I think they intend to keep bringing low cost productions to Thailand, where the producers can avoid the expensive costs in places like Hollywood where you must enforce union guidelines on fire, water, and electricity usage on set. In Thailand you can cut corners and make cheap movies that will generate a profit.

1 hour ago, topt said:

I am guessing that figure comes from this (could be wrong) which was in a link at the end of the Thaiger article -

However further down the article it then says this 

Ambitious.........:whistling:

Sounds a bit chicken-and-egg to me. Which comes first, the 20 million jobs for skilled workers, or the 20 million skilled workers looking for jobs? Anyway, with the dismal education standards in the state school system there's little danger of them rapidly creating what the West would regard as 20 million skilled workers.

And another point is the 200,000 annual salary target, that's not exactly very ambitious, averaging just 16,700 Baht/month, or 550 Baht/day. In Pattaya these days, it's hard to find even an unskilled worker for less than 500 Baht a day.

4 hours ago, Guderian said:

And another point is the 200,000 annual salary target, that's not exactly very ambitious, averaging just 16,700 Baht/month, or 550 Baht/day. In Pattaya these days, it's hard to find even an unskilled worker for less than 500 Baht a day.

Agreed. I didn't even bother to consider that.

I was amazed that in our moo baan the 2 gardeners with their side gigs (approved) are earning over 30k a month according to the juristic - otherwise we would not be able to keep them.

On 12/15/2023 at 7:40 PM, sqwakvfr said:

1) I can’t recall besides Thailand  where Thai Music, movies or TV shows are in high demand.  

2) Copying the “Korean Wave” or Hallyu sounds like a good idea but “TIT”.  The only thing that has true global appeal is Thai Food.  

4) Stick to what is known globally:  Thai Tourism which is appealing to many in the world because “Thailand is a cheap place to visit for a short time or a long time”.  

Philippines has won the OFW (Overseas Foreign Worker) race

Vietnam is now selling Electric Vehicles in the US( The VinFast and it looks awful). No need for Thai produced EV’s. 

Korea won the “Soft Power” battle many years ago and I doubt it can be duplicated. 

I agree with everything you said except Vinfast cars are so much more better looking than Tesla or anything American EV

6 hours ago, BayArea said:

I agree with everything you said except Vinfast cars are so much more better looking than Tesla or anything American EV

I would agree too.  Also, I saw a lot of Tesla's in Seoul but they could only be driven in the wide roads.  I saw one trying maneuver into a small side street in Itaewon and it was not pretty.  Once BYD or MG EV's are sold in the US it will disrupt the Tesla monopoly.  Many cannot afford a Tesla but an EV at $25,000 is possible for many. 

4 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

I would agree too.  Also, I saw a lot of Tesla's in Seoul but they could only be driven in the wide roads.  I saw one trying maneuver into a small side street in Itaewon and it was not pretty.  Once BYD or MG EV's are sold in the US it will disrupt the Tesla monopoly.  Many cannot afford a Tesla but an EV at $25,000 is possible for many. 

All good points 👍

On 12/16/2023 at 10:40 AM, sqwakvfr said:

Mostly just a few of the other ASEAN countries: Laos, Vietnam, Myanmar and Cambodia. Thai singers and actors are very well-known in those countries. Also, students from those countries come to take media and film studies courses etc. in Thailand as the Thai industry is seen as the most developed in ASEAN. It's also closer home and a cheaper alternative to other parts of the world.