People want single minimum wage for the whole country – NIDA Poll

webfact

image.png

Most respondents to a recent opinion poll want one minimum wage rate to be applied across the country, instead of several rates and that the Bt2-16 wage increase proposed by the Wage Committee is too low, according to the National Institute of Development Administration (NIDA).

NIDA gauged the opinions of 1,310 people, aged 18 and over, from multiple professions and educational levels all over the country between December 13 and 15 on the subject of minimum wages and salaries of government officials.

The poll shows that 35.11% of the respondents want a flat minimum wage rate to be applied nationwide, 28.40% say the 2-16 baht wage proposed by the Wage Committee is too low, while 28.32% say the increase is appropriate. 6.18% say wages should be frozen for the time being, 0.84% say the increase is too much and 1.15% say they are not interested in this issue.

Full story: Thai PBS 2023-12-16

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

How anyone survives on the current minimum wage is incredible. Existence at best. Would be nice to have a uniform, and easily understood minimum wage however living costs in Nakhon Nowhere are often vastly lower than Bangkok, Samui or Phuket etc. Maybe there is a case for having at least two different (and higher rates) for the more expensive areas. 400 Baht/Day would be more appropriate at least as a starting point.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, soi3eddie said:

How anyone survives on the current minimum wage is incredible. Existence at best. Would be nice to have a uniform, and easily understood minimum wage however living costs in Nakhon Nowhere are often vastly lower than Bangkok, Samui or Phuket etc. Maybe there is a case for having at least two different (and higher rates) for the more expensive areas. 400 Baht/Day would be more appropriate at least as a starting point.

It won't make any difference.

Large companies, if forced to pay more on salaries, will increase hours, cut any breaks staff might get and impose stricter targets.

I know of a restaurant that used to let staff stay in a house adjoining the place free of charge. When minimum wage was last increased, the house was then charged at 2000b a month.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, youreavinalaff said:

Large companies, if forced to pay more on salaries, will increase hours, cut any breaks staff might get and impose stricter targets.

Increased hours = overtime penalty rates.

Cut breaks = Good luck with labour dept and unions.

Stricter targets =  higher staff turnover.

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

46 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Increased hours = overtime penalty rates.

Cut breaks = Good luck with labour dept and unions.

Stricter targets =  higher staff turnover.

Unions? No threat in Thailand.

Labour Debt? No threat either.

Overtime? No. 

Staff turnover? Staff won't leave. No other options.

14 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Unions? No threat in Thailand.

Labour Debt? No threat either.

Overtime? No. 

Quiet obviously you have no knowledge of large companies, unions and labour dept in Thailand.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Most respondents to a recent opinion poll want one minimum wage rate to be applied across the country, instead of several rates and that the Bt2-16 wage increase proposed by the Wage Committee is too low, according to the National Institute of Development Administration (NIDA).

The whole thing should change to a minimum hourly rate... anything over 8 hours per day is overtime.

Night shift or shift work can be negotiated.

3 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

That may well be what the glossy Labour Ministry brochure says..

In reality thousands of workers do a 9-10-11 or even 12 hour day for a flat rate on minimum wage.

Cn only go by what the existing law says and that is "anything over 8 hours per day is overtime" that you said in your post.... is an existing labour law.

we work 2 12hr shifts at my place of employment.

Overtime is paid.

At the 8hr mark before overtime begins there is a 30 minute break.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Cn only go by what the existing law says and that is "anything over 8 hours per day is overtime" that you said in your post.... is an existing labour law.

And of course the law in Thailand is strictly observed and obeyed at all times?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Minimum wage should be 15.000 THB a month for working days not more 25 and 8 hours a day... No bullsh..t that it is too expensive, or impossible. or whatever.. People  are still treated as slaves here in Thailand. Long working days 7 days a week and for  350 THB a day?? and the companies and CEO and Government earn millions...and yes, who plays more on the cellphone instead of doing their job , is responsible for him/herself when they are vfired. Probably when you work you can't have time to play the cellphone. If there is so much time in your job, that you can play the phone than there is not enough work for you 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

As someone who has lived and worked in Thailand for over 20 years, I would say I have plenty of knowledge.

But by comments have not employed any staff

4 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

Staff leave all the time with no warning/notice and for a myriad of reasons. 

• Like 1

I genuinely feel sorry for the average Thais that earn such a pittance for a days work.

My girlfriend has to work for 4 days to earn the 1,200 baht my company in the UK gives

me for a daily food allowance.

Very sad.

• Love It 1

You can tell that the most important people were left out of the poll.

Instead of conducting a random poll, they should have focused on the stakeholders. I guarantee that if you asked people who earn the daily minimum wage, 100% of them would say the increase suggested by the committee was unfair, and that they would like a bigger pay rise.

On the other hand, if you asked the other stakeholders; employers, you would probably see that 100% of them would agree with the meager wage increases.

The opinions of uninvolved parties are not interesting or relevant to the conversation, so why include them in your poll?

5 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

But by comments have not employed any staff

Staff leave all the time with no warning/notice and for a myriad of reasons. 

Some do, yes. Those in more casual, walk in, local jobs

I was thinking more of the Thais I know from our village. Those who have had to upsticks and move away to get jobs.

Many have rented accommodation involving contracts and large deposits, some offered as part of the job. They are tied and have no other options.