Do YOU Think It Will Be a SUPER Cold Winter in Thailand, This Year?

GammaGlobulin

Hi Folks,

I have this feeling that THIS year, our winter in Thailand will be very cold, even though we are in the throes of the El Niño.

Is anyone here old enough to recall the SUPER-Cold winter of 2013/2014?

That winter was truly quite cold for Thailand.

THAT year, I actually went out and purchased TWO winter coats....

And still, I was not warm enough.

That year, we experienced many nights with biting cold wind blowing upon us.

I recall that year so clearly, because, ....

Loi Krathong holiday, that year, was so cold that we needed mittens just to make our baskets to float on an almost-frozen canal in Chiang Mai.

We are in the midst of an unprecedented period of Global Warming, and this means that almost ANYTHING can happen, weatherwise....

The Polar Winds have become destabilized, and this means that there can be deep dips of arctic air coming our way, on Any Given Sunday...or even on a Manic Monday....

I just hope that people will remember...IF...

The weather in Chiang Mai, or Chiang Rai, for that matter, becomes frigid once more, as it did in 2013...

That we will remain aware of the fact that burning petroleum products, coal, or, in fact, burning anything inside one's house, just to stay warm, comes with risks.

The house should be well ventilated, and even then...there remains the risk of CO inhalation.

I love the cold weather, just as a welcome respite before we head into the HOT Season in Thailand, which is likely to be super hot, this year.

And so, what do you think?

Will we have the same frigid temps we experienced in 2013, all over again?

I say that we will....just because I can feel the cold in my bones, coming on, already.

What say you all?

Regards,

Gamma

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, GammaGlobulin said:

No AI can predict the future as well as my bones....

This is most probably true; I have joints like that too :smile:

But I asked The Bard about your "super cold" 2013 winter, but he/she/it said it wasn't particularly cold then.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

GammaGlobulin is on my ignore list since a long time. But I still see his and other threads from ignored posters on the side.

Is a headline like really the best you can do?

Next question: Will it be hot next summer? Yes. Topic closed.

More interesting than the topics you start.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Crossy said:

This is most probably true; I have joints like that too :smile:

But I asked The Bard about your "super cold" 2013 winter, but he/she/it said it wasn't particularly cold then.

The Bard is definitely mistaken.

I bought two winter jackets, and two heavy quilts to last through the winter of 2013.

Also, if you check the news reports of the time, there were worries for the aged population, at the time.

I remember that winter clearly.

The wind through Chiang Mai was almost as bad as the frigid winds over the Steppes of Central Asia in the dead of real winter.

A comforter was of no use, it was so cold.

I asked for Three Dogs, but the Guesthouse did not allow pets to sleep with guests in the same bed.

9 minutes ago, indyo said:

last year was colder from half November and did last for 3 months, this year cold is coming just from tomorrow night, let's see how will last.

Yes, and I do agree with you.

However, THIS year seems a lot like the year 2013, weather-wise, and I would bet money that this year will be almost as cold as 2013.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

GammaGlobulin is on my ignore list since a long time. But I still see his and other threads from ignored posters on the side.

Is a headline like really the best you can do?

Next question: Will it be hot next summer? Yes. Topic closed.

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Hi Folks,

I have this feeling that THIS year, our winter in Thailand will be very cold, even though we are in the throes of the El Niño.

Is anyone here old enough to recall the SUPER-Cold winter of 2013/2014?

That winter was truly quite cold for Thailand.

THAT year, I actually went out and purchased TWO winter coats....

And still, I was not warm enough.

That year, we experienced many nights with biting cold wind blowing upon us.

I recall that year so clearly, because, ....

Loi Krathong holiday, that year, was so cold that we needed mittens just to make our baskets to float on an almost-frozen canal in Chiang Mai.

We are in the midst of an unprecedented period of Global Warming, and this means that almost ANYTHING can happen, weatherwise....

The Polar Winds have become destabilized, and this means that there can be deep dips of arctic air coming our way, on Any Given Sunday...or even on a Manic Monday....

I just hope that people will remember...IF...

The weather in Chiang Mai, or Chiang Rai, for that matter, becomes frigid once more, as it did in 2013...

That we will remain aware of the fact that burning petroleum products, coal, or, in fact, burning anything inside one's house, just to stay warm, comes with risks.

The house should be well ventilated, and even then...there remains the risk of CO inhalation.

I love the cold weather, just as a welcome respite before we head into the HOT Season in Thailand, which is likely to be super hot, this year.

And so, what do you think?

Will we have the same frigid temps we experienced in 2013, all over again?

I say that we will....just because I can feel the cold in my bones, coming on, already.

What say you all?

Regards,

Gamma

I also noticed this morning that the sky appeared to have fallen considerably closer!

2 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

I live in Chiang Mai, I'm wearing thermals and a parka as I type.

As I say...

This morning was crisp and cold.

Great weather, though!

As for me...

It's not yet parka time, nor thermal underwear time...

And, I am wearing NOTHING...as I type.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

I also noticed this morning that the sky appeared to have fallen considerably closer!

If you are going to make ridiculous comments, as I sometimes do,....

Then....

At the very least....

Try to make them interesting.

Do you think you can manage that?

Please post another one.

• Confused 1

Changing my AI prompt to be based on Chiang Mai elicited this (yes, there was a "cold" snap in January): -

========

Chiang Mai's weather in January 2014 compared to the average offers an interesting case study. Let's delve into the details:

Average Temperatures:

• January 2014: The average high in Chiang Mai during January 2014 was 28.9°C (84°F), with an average low of 14.6°C (58°F).
  • Historical Average: Compared to the long-term average for January in Chiang Mai, which is 28.2°C (82.9°F) for the high and 14.3°C (57.7°F) for the low, January 2014 was slightly warmer than usual.

Variations within the Month:

• Early January: The first few days of January 2014 saw a brief cold snap, with temperatures dropping below the average low for the month. However, this was a short-lived event.
  • Rest of the Month: The remainder of January was characterized by typical dry season weather for Chiang Mai, with warm days and cool nights.

Rainfall:

• January 2014: The total rainfall in Chiang Mai during January 2014 was 7.1 mm, which is significantly lower than the average of 36.5 mm for the month.
    Chiang Mai during dry season
  • Dry Season: This aligns with the usual dry season pattern in Chiang Mai, where January and February generally receive minimal rainfall.

Overall:

While January 2014 in Chiang Mai was slightly warmer than the historical average in terms of temperature, it was also considerably drier than usual. This combination of warm and dry conditions is typical for the dry season in the region.

• Thumbs Up 1

Had to put a shirt on this morning, bit more chilly , don't particularly remember 2013-14 ,but

there was a time before that ,cannot remember the year ,when i actually had to put a jacket on.,

cold air coming down from China , China were all the good stuff comes from ! !

regards worgeordie