Thai tourism revolution: Duty-free ditch and booze bonanza

webfact

I never buy duty free.  Its always a ripoff unless coming from Mexico or the Caribbean.   

Its a great start.  He says reducing the price like lower taxes on import liquors.  Why should a liqour imported from Europe to Thailand cost more than I can buy in USA?   

And good beer like an IPA shouldn't cost 850 bath for a bomber. 22oz.  Like ive paid in BKK.  Dont make a guy choose between a good beer or add-on to a massage! thats not going to be a happy tourist. 

Oh I'm sure King pow has no problems.  Yeah right.  Im aure there is a gotcha favor included.    But really isn't it time 4-5 super rich conglomerates sid the right thing for the thai people ? 

My bags are always packed on arrival and i dont buy a condo bottle unless I'm in 1 place for a week or more.  I'm such a cheap charlie i will drink an extra singha  beer in the airport before you need to dump your water bottles. Or arrange for them to be cold and in the fridge if I'm returning. 

Agree with the comments

Reduced tax on import wine and spirits

Actively help local craft breweries to flourish.

Singh Chang co etc

Swimming in cash 

Help the small local guys !

Talking of booze anyone brew their own beer and recommendations on brewing kits ? 

6 hours ago, IamNoone88 said:

And this is the most revolutionary idea that the Ministry of Finance could come up with?

Could be worse....
They could come with the idea to make full size cardboard of tourists spending money at Duty-Free shops like they did with the cops.

This change seems to be aimed at losing alcohol sales as no one sees it as an advantage to buy in town. 

Lowering prices domestically would be one way of encouraging shopping but I don't think anyone's considered it as the government would lose tax revenue. 

12 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Most tourists buy their stuff somewhere else.. Duty free shops in Thailand are overpriced and with the restrictions of alcohol and cigarettes there will not be so much to earn for the Government, but what else could they think with their brains?

same as pretty much every airport around the world, cheap duty free prices are generally a myth, tax may be reduced or removed but the retailer simply keeps the price high and increases their profit margin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

All Duty Free shops are overpriced. They may be duty free but they are certainly not increased profit free

Plus depends on the time you arrive If you want to buy a bottle of Jameson's Irish, don't arrive after midnight, or you'll have to wait till 11am to buy it. Ha!

• Like 1

Once those who wait to purchase duty free on arrival learn of this change and make their purchases in their departure airport, how much of a revenue boost will this provide for local businesses, or more accurately, domestic revenue coffers ?

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

All depends where u come from and these people know .Buy on arrival is something i never do anyway.Certain things are more in the airport anyway so I buy very little,cigs and tobacco are the main things I believe anyway,perfume maybe.The other things are expensive items that they is a saving. King power get 2 bites of the cherry sometimes.