Christie reacts to Trump Colorado ballot news: Voters should decide, not courts

CharlieH

image.png

Republican presidential candidate Chris Christie weighed in on the Colorado Supreme Court’s decision to knock former President Trump off the state’s ballot, arguing voters, not the courts, should decide if Trump should be “prevented” from being reelected to the White House.

“What I will say is I do not believe Donald Trump should be prevented from being President of the United States, by any court,” Christie said in a statement Tuesday. “I think he should be prevented from being the President of the United States by the voters of this country.”

Christie said he doesn’t believe “it’s good” for the U.S. if Trump is kept off the ballot by a court.

“I think it’s bad for the country if that happens,” Christie said. “Now, the other reason I believe that is because, you know, he will have had to incite insurrection, be a part of an insurrection for him to be excluded. There’s been no trial of him on that.”

Trump is currently facing charges from the Department of Justice related to his alleged efforts to stay in power after losing the 2020 presidential election, which included blocking the certification of 2020 election votes.

The trial is slated to begin March 4, though Trump is attempting to have the case tossed out on the grounds he has presidential immunity from federal prosecution.

The Colorado Supreme Court issued a ruling Tuesday night arguing Trump should be prevented from appearing on the state’s Republican primary ballot because of his alleged role in the Jan. 6, 2021, Capitol attack. 

In a 4-3 ruling, the court ruled Trump was involved in an insurrection by promoting false claims of election fraud and directing his supporters to the Capitol, where some participated in the riots in an attempt to stop the certification of 2020 election results. 

FULL STORY

THEHILL-250.png

8 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

I agree with Chris Christie.

Part of me agrees but we all saw him try to steal the presidency and incite the insurrection that rite there disqualifies him I do think the Supreme Court will knock it down tho.it would be stellar if they dident tho!! if that happened the magga nuts would be so mad they would knaw their own leg off! Lmao 🤣 

Edited by Tug
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Good for him. I always liked him, but that's from the outside. Could be different if I lived in his state.

Most of the citizens of New Jersey would disagree with you. He ended up being loathed by most of its citizens.

It's Chris Christie's last day in office — here's how he became the least popular governor in New Jersey history

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, once a star in the Republican Party with a nearly 80% approval rating, will leave office on Tuesday as the least popular governor in his state's history...

After several scandals, including the criminal convictions of two of his top aides, and a failed 2016 presidential bid, Christie has just a 14% approval rating and is widely disliked in his own state and party.

https://archive.ph/g7X3g

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-chris-christie-became-least-popular-governor-in-new-jersey-history-2018-1

• Like 1

On 12/22/2023 at 9:59 AM, EastBayRay said:

He is right. Using the legal system to remove political opponents is the lowest of the low even by liberals standards 

Normal practice here in Thailand.

I certainly believe that a criminal should not have the power to run a country and represent the people.

What sort of example does having a criminal in charge give.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

The thing is, if Trump is removed from ballots nationwide, his supporters will be livid.

If Trump remains on all ballots and he loses, his supporters will be livid.

These people are perpetually mad about something.  The country should just ignore them.

Great contempt for voters...  That very attitude on the part of the Dems is garnering all kind of support for the other side, and from demographics they used to take for granted.

Am I happy that my vote can be offset by the vote of a KKK member who dropped out of the 5th grade?  Of course not.  But that's the way it works.  By deliberate design.  One person, one vote.  No matter how stupid I may think they are.

3 hours ago, impulse said:

Great contempt for voters...  That very attitude on the part of the Dems is garnering all kind of support for the other side, and from demographics they used to take for granted.

Am I happy that my vote can be offset by the vote of a KKK member who dropped out of the 5th grade?  Of course not.  But that's the way it works.  By deliberate design.  One person, one vote.  No matter how stupid I may think they are.

There's one person, one vote.

Then there's gerrymandering.