Thai Lady returned to UK on Multi-Entry Visa, but I (Sponsor) didn't invite her this time

I think you worry too much. Navigating UK Immigration is becoming ever more challenging and expensive but once a visa is granted and successfully used at the UK border I seriously doubt there would be any follow up except for any overstay noted at exit when she might be fined and blacklisted. Then your card might be marked as an unsuitable sponsor in the future. Otherwise they are too busy trying to catch and immediately deport illegals coming over The Channel in boats aren't they from what I read ?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, sharksy said:

I don't suppose it is a problem, but just thought I would check...

So, I sponsored my girlfriend at the time to visit me in UK for a month.  Everything went well really, but I knew she wasn't the one for me long term and told her this.  She returned to Thailand.  I've since got a new girlfirend (British!), but didn't tell her as I didn't want to hurt her feelings so soon.  Still had occasional whatsapp messages each way, in a friendly manner only.

However, about a month ago, she messaged me to say that the is coming back to UK the following day to experience Christmas + Winter here.  It seems she is staying at a Thai friends house and looking at her facebook posts, she has been travelling around local towns and places.

As I didn't invite her, and I presume the Visa conditions state that she should be staying with me, are there any potential repurcussions of this?

I know her as an extremely sensible lady (almost un-thai!) and she intends to return to Thailand mid January - Which is still within the Visa window - and I believe she will leave.

I wish her no malice, but welcome any thoughts on this please.

How is the visa you sponsored still valid if she's been to the UK and then back to Thailand?    

I have Thai friends who go to London just for shopping trips and as far as I know they are not sponsored by someone in the UK, nor do they have to stay with a sponsor. 

Maybe she got her own visa for a holiday.

On 12/24/2023 at 3:41 PM, MangoKorat said:

Not quite correct.  If she is questioned on entry and ANY of the reasons for granting her a visa in the first place have changed, she may be denied entry. The reason would have to be a material change - which in this case I believe it is.  The OP says acted as sponsor on the original application - if he sponsored her financially and now does not, that it is a material change. Also, if the stated purpose of the visit was to visit the sponsor and she is no longer in a relationship with him, that is another material change. The visa application is decided based upon the information given at the time, if that changes it can invalidate the visa.

However in practice, the immigration officer at the port of entry is more likely to simply check that she left on time last time but she is taking a chance each time she enters.

This is the best answer yet, thankyou for replying

4 hours ago, sharksy said:

This is the best answer yet, thankyou for replying

I'm not suggesting you would but I wouldn't waste my time doing any reporting if I was you.  A mate of mine was in a similar position and was more than a bit miffed that his ex was using a visa that he'd paid for and done the application for her too.  When he learned his ex was back in the UK, he called immigration - they agreed her visa was probably invalid but did nothing, probably couldn't be bothered.

The only time when it seems there can be problems is at immigration on entry to the UK - after that, they don't seem bothered.  I remember them giving my ex wife a proper grilling even though I was with her.

Edited by MangoKorat
  • Thanks 1

@sharksy I thought I'd take the time to address your concerns along with some of the other comments in your thread.

When you agreed to be a Sponsor for your previous girlfrinends Standard Visit Visa application, you did so only fot financial and initial accomodation resons, the Entry Clearance Officer deciding on the application would have need to be satisfied that it was reasonable for you to do so, and affordable.

The Border Force Officer on her arrival would need to have been satisfied that she was a genuine visitor, with somewhere to stay on her arrival, had sufficient funds for the duaration of her stay  and that, on the balance of probabilities, she would leave the UK at the the conclusion of her her visit, and had the means to do so, a return ticket or the access to funds.

You would not have been responsable for her leaving the UK or anything she got up to during her visit, there are no enforcalbe laws within the various Immigration Acts to make you accountable.

You say that she had a multi entry visa, which the vast majority are, you don't say what the validity was, initial visitors would normally be for six monthe which would allow the holder to travel to the UK Border a number of time during the validity of that visa. Other visas can be issued for twh, five or ten years, and are normally issued to visitors who can demonstrate a genuine need to travel to the UK on a regular basis, but on each entry they will be required to satisfy the Border Force Officer that they remain genuine visitors, and can afford the trip, they may be asked for details of where they intend staying, you as the original sponsor and not being part of her life would't be a deal breaker.

One poster mentioned refusals for a "material change" whilst a material change can lead to a refusal, what you describe is unlikeley to fall into this category.

It's highly unlikely that there would have been any terms applied to her initial visa, so there would be nothing for her to adhere to.

• Thanks 1