Alcohol Wholesalers Hit By Weak Holiday Season Sales

webfact

16 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

"...Weak Holiday Season Sales"

Thai owned hotels will be the last to realize this.  Charging over the top hotel rates so as to have there properties virtually empty.  

Then they'll ask for government help.

All the while international chains have already seen the writing on the wall.  Poor Chinese economy, wars, and after "COVID Travel" hangover from last season.

Rates will plummet this year,except for most of the Thai owned properties. 

All the hotels chains seem to indulge in price fixing..having to pay 5k for what used to a be 2.5k aloft or courtyard and then when you reach the hotel the manager claims its a bit slow this year...

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, bob smith said:

Lower your prices a bit then more people will buy!!!

economics 101.

Nice one Bob! Maybe they should try that model, instead of putting prices UP when business is bad! .......Import Duty on Wine needs looking at too......300% (?) These sort of Duty rates are used in other countries to protect their own Industries/Products. Not sure how big the Thai Wine Industry is, but for sure Monsoon Winery Prices are about the same as Imported,  from what I have seen in their Hua Hin outlet. 

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Al BB said:

Nice one Bob! Maybe they should try that model, instead of putting prices UP when business is bad! .......Import Duty on Wine needs looking at too......300% (?) These sort of Duty rates are used in other countries to protect their own Industries/Products. Not sure how big the Thai Wine Industry is, but for sure Monsoon Winery Prices are about the same as Imported,  from what I have seen in their Hua Hin outlet. 

indeed, wine prices here are ludicrous. 

You have the previous administration to thank for that with the sin tax.

Srettha better get his act together soon or people (not me) will stop buying booze all together!

well if like me I buy nowhere near the amount I used to since covid I would say 50% down, most people I know don't go out much as they used to, up to now I have bought nothing like I used to come this time of the year,

We will be going out for Christmas dinner I don't really like drinking beer with my dinner not sure what I will do, instead of buying a bottle of wine maybe just a couple of glasses, my wife doesn't drink.

11 minutes ago, bob smith said:

it's absolute madness. surely this business model doesn't work? it doesn't work anywhere else why should it work here??

It has always made laugh in the bars around where I live, but the bar is still empty eventually closes down, 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Toby1947 said:

Exactly my thoughts, did any of these thickos ever spend a day in school 

Yes, but sticking my neck out here,  20% of the anticipated 10 case purchase is 2 cases. A massive drop in sales if repeated all the way down to the consumer.

I wonder how it will be for Songkran?

• Agree 1

My daughter and her husbands family came here last May and stayed a 5 star hotel in Karon, it was obscene prices for beer and wine, in the two weeks they were here I only about 3 bottles of beer which was supposed to be in happy hour, 

Other guest were saying the same, guest my daughter got friendly with she must have told them her dad lives here they were asking me what to do, Dont buy from the hotel there is a 7/11 across the road at least go there, and you can buy a small bag of ice from there. 

Ok we live here but the tourist get spanked, I did read the reviews of that hotel and quite a few guest remarked about the prices, no wonder the place was empty in the evenings, serious they would turn the lights out in the restaurant and bar, that was low season but they still had a few guest, nobody stayed in the hotel in the evening, <deleted> thick, 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

57 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Not in Thailand as you should know when business is down up the prices go

Crazy! I call it Thai anti-logic! 

A few years ago a small complex of new bars opened in the centre of our "tourist town", and they were always deserted, although it was well laid out and set round a central fountain with pretty lighting etc. etc. My mate who had a bar situated about 20-30 metres away said "Why do you charge so much for your beer - I only charge 65 baht for a Tiger and you are charging 100 baht - why?" The answer astonished me (being a 2nd or 3rd time tourist at that time) - "Because we have no customers"! Needless to say afew months later the complex closed down and they built some bungalows instead!

2 hours ago, Al BB said:

It is the excise tax that makes wine expensive. local producers pay the same excise tax as importers

Edited by BenStark
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

1. This is good for everyone, less drinking is a healthier lifestyle, and likely will result in less people getting killed from drunk driving incidents. If the liquor wholesalers and manufacturers make a little less profit, not a big deal for anyone but them.

2. The economy is soft, people keep denying this, but there's less spending power right now so people are cutting back. It's just a simple fact, the economy was decimated over the last few years, even prior to covid the economy was getting soft.

After "the Prayuth Decimation" all bets are off. 

No argument Mike. What was the Prayuth Decimation given the following definition?

From Wikipedia: Decimation (Latin: decimatio; decem = "ten") was a form of Roman military discipline in which every tenth man in a group was executed by his cohorts. The discipline was used by senior commanders in the Roman Army to punish units or large groups guilty of capital offenses, such as cowardice, mutiny, desertion, and insubordination, and for pacification of rebellious legions. The word decimation is derived from Latin meaning "removal of a tenth". The procedure was a pragmatic attempt to balance the need to punish serious offenses with the realities of managing a large group of offenders.

A cohort (roughly 480 soldiers) selected for punishment by decimation was divided into groups of ten. Each group drew lots (sortition), and the soldier on whom the lot of the shortest straw fell was executed by his nine comrades...

50 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Since when is there a law that prevents delivering alcohol?

Since around 2020 when all alcohol disappeared from online sales platforms.

They claimed kids were ordering alcohol online, and delivery drivers don't check the age of recipients.

https://thethaiger.com/guides/best-of/health/online-alcohol-sales-banned-from-today

Edited by BritManToo

21 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Since around 2020 when all alcohol disappeared from online sales platforms.

They claimed kids were ordering alcohol online, and delivery drivers don't check the age of recipients.

https://thethaiger.com/guides/best-of/health/online-alcohol-sales-banned-from-today

Still can order from Wishbeer, and as far as I'm aware Boonrawd has it's own online sales platform. And never known a mom and pop store that will not deliver with a simplephone call.

image.png.7fd2f0da96aaef242b953820e6cb0b57.png