Former Buddhist chief and executives charged with embezzling 30 million baht

webfact

Former Buddhist chief and executives charged with embezzling 30 million baht

Why in Satans name do the temples get an handout from the government  Peoples tax money.

Don't they get millions off THB  direct or indirect  from the people everyday they don't need it.

The money should be spend on the people,Pensions social security.

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, webfact said:

the evidence amassed will be handed over to the courts, ensuring justice prevails.

If only that were true and courts could be relied on.

Yet another area of Thai life riddled with corruption; is it genetic or learned behaviour?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

.....and the level of tolerance that society shows toward it is unacceptable. 

That's the key factor. The general appearance of indifference or just brushing it off is quite hard wired. 

If society [as a collective] socially demanded that monks, abbots and the Wat infrastructures functioned as an extended community venture - as they used to be - instead of acting as a conduit for ciphering funds for personal advancement. This seemingly unethical [even criminal] behaviour is quite evident within the hierarchy where senior abbots and patriarchy are uncommonly and personally wealthy.......wealth that should be contributed back into the respective community. 

One basic manner in which this could be corrected would be for the good people to stop extending cash donations. Every common action or tamboon of every description is associated with a cash advance. Food, assorted sundries, or extended volunteering for the Wat/monk - that's fine. But not loads of cash. 

I've been around long enough to remember the good old days regarding romantic notions [and theory] of the humble monk and serving the community, all the while the community serve the monk by feeding and clothing them. They don't require to be "employed" and having an income. A bit dreamy, I know......it just doesn't work that way any more. 

15 hours ago, stoner said:

but remember folks take your shoes off and show some gd respect when entering a temple. what a total joke thai buddhism is. 

i mean this is the tippy top of the food chain and he is a corrupt piece of s. not at all surprised in the least. 

My wife is no longer a practicing Buddhist.  She used to ignore the rampant corruption or made excuses for these monks, but she has stop making excuses for their disgusting behavior.  The only sympathy she feels are for the poor Thai who continued to followed with blind faith. 

• Like 1

On 12/23/2023 at 3:34 PM, brianthainess said:

Just a state Funded Cult with NOB Heads. And to think our taxes pay for it, and schools must embrace it.

Yup that tax thing is going to become more annoying as they take more of it. But unlike the Thais, you won't get a vote. But they don't really either !

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, BayArea said:

My wife is no longer a practicing Buddhist.  She used to ignore the rampant corruption or made excuses for these monks, but she has stop making excuses for their disgusting behavior.  The only sympathy she feels are for the poor Thai who continued to followed with blind faith. 

This tamboon 'making merit' is the biggest scam out that by donating to temples and monks the person can help to wipe out any transgressions that may have been done. It's rather like medieval Catholic indulgences to buy your way into heaven. I don't think the Buddha ever intended this to happen indeed the exact opposite. Funny that nearly all religions bar none are obsessed with getting money and fleecing their followers.

• Agree 1