Looking For Gringo (Foreigner) Ghetto's

JimTripper

On 12/23/2023 at 4:24 AM, JimTripper said:

That's pretty much my situation, roughly. I try to ignore the riff raff in my daily life, but it's seemingly having a culumative effect of sorts. Fyi I have lived here 10 years, although not in Pattaya, so it's not culture shock.

Things were Ok six months ago, but I'm finding that I'm less inclined to leave the condo as time goes on. For example, today I was headed downtown to eat, In the middle of the walk I just thought forget it, and went back to the condo to eat at home. Other times I go out for a drink and just say forget it and go home for a swim instead or a drink on the balcony.

I just don't feel like it's worth all the noise and hassle around the locals, seeing that motorbike guy, ignoring those yells from the 10 massage shops both ways, whatever else, to get that drink and act like I'm having a good time.

I feel like if I lived in a gated location the people around me would be less "needy" because we would all be in the same situation economically, roughly. Thus the more comfortable and happier living environment, rather then being the dartboard for or constantly exposed to the energy of other people's problems which are not my problems.

I get what you're talking about. There's nothing wrong with enjoying your home cooked meals at home. If you moved, not so far away you can have a more relaxed feeling and still be near Pattaya for shopping. I'm a good 30 minutes from Pattaya, near the beach, 7-11 and restaurants a 30 sec MB ride away. Thais here couldn't care less about me. And there are many places such as mine near Pattaya. I go to the malls for movies and dining, sometimes a bif bike ride to Soi Bukhao for some beers and back home again. 

58 minutes ago, digbeth said:

plenty of condos with attached malls and hotels that let you stay long-term around Bangkok, like in Thonglor area, you will be mixing it with Japanese of course so not solely gringos farang and price will be a big point 

I used to live in one; Centrepoint Silom. 

On 12/23/2023 at 4:02 PM, JimTripper said:

Does anyone have success living in Thailand with minimal contact with the locals?

I am looking for something similar to the "Gringo Ghetto's" that are found in Mexico where there are primarily just retired foreigner's living and it could pass as a place in the USA, with minor differences. Or, some of the resort areas around Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.

That would involve common spaces, shopping and outdoor recreation like sea, ocean, etc where there were mostly or all foreigners, rather then a mix of Thai locals and expats.

I was possibly looking at Cape Panwa in Phuket. Has anyone lived there, or know of any other areas I could look into?

Personally, I'm not here to 'be in Thailand', it's a re-location for financial and other reasons and I would prefer a living situation as close as possible to California, USA if that's possible.

JT… you live in the roughest area of Pattaya 🤭 What is wrong with you? What did you expect?

Where I live there is no one hassling you at all. No one bothering you on the way to and fro the shops. As to ‘riff-raft’, I was absolutely appalled when I visited a friend’s condo and saw how ‘different’ it was there. 
There are some amazing places, but you have often to make an effort to find them. 

Wanting that experience is a matter of spending enough money, while you quote your only reason to be here is financial reasons, then you can not really expect to find that. But yes it comes down to the more populair and expensive farang places in Phuket and Bangkok most likely. Pattaya is also as english as it can get, for a budget still possible, but I assume you look for that other end, which is expensive too.

Also the Thais are different in the higher-end level, they usually are as much foreigner as any other foreigner, well travelled, speaking good english etc. I always call this country the country of countries. There are many different worlds to live in here.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, NextG said:

As to ‘riff-raft’, I was absolutely appalled when I visited a friend’s condo and saw how ‘different’ it was there. 

It's exactly that, you could hate being outside as a random visitor in the center of Bangkok, until you seen that luxury condo with zero noise, optimal facilities, and just a 100 meter walk to a MRT station, then suddenly it is really nice to be living there and still being able to fly for 1000 baht to any corner of the country.

It is really a matter of spending more mainly, which most people refuse to do (including myself). Life is different from 30-40K rent a month and up.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

20 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Wanting that experience is a matter of spending enough money, while you quote your only reason to be here is financial reasons, then you can not really expect to find that. But yes it comes down to the more populair and expensive farang places in Phuket and Bangkok most likely. Pattaya is also as english as it can get, for a budget still possible, but I assume you look for that other end, which is expensive too.

Also the Thais are different in the higher-end level, they usually are as much foreigner as any other foreigner, well travelled, speaking good english etc. I always call this country the country of countries. There are many different worlds to live in here.

I disagree with you in your assertion that’s it’s all about the money. In fact, in my current place, I am paying the least that I have in perhaps twenty years. 
It’s more to do with actually looking for what you want instead of sitting on your posterior looking at a screen and then acting like you know everything about an area. 
The people who know, know. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, NextG said:

I disagree with you in your assertion that’s it’s all about the money. In fact, in my current place, I am paying the least that I have in perhaps twenty years. 
It’s more to do with actually looking for what you want instead of sitting on your posterior looking at a screen and then acting like you know everything about an area. 
The people who know, know. 

Are you even talking about what the OP his topic is about? It is all about what you spend, if looking for that, that is exactly why he didn't find it in Pattaya as well, its a dump. If you want a class experience, that is mainly foreign dominated, it is expensive. I am not making that up from looking at a screen, I spend over 100K a month outside the door for over a decade here. I just do not want to spend more on rent as well, but I am not unhappy either with where I rent.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

1 minute ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Are you even talking about what the OP his topic is about? It is all about what you spend, if looking for that, that is exactly why he didn't find it in Pattaya as well, its a dump. If you want a class experience, that is mainly foreign dominated, it is expensive. I am not making that up from looking at a screen, I spend over 100K a month outside the door for over a decade here. I just do not want to spend more on rent as well, but I am not unhappy either with where I rent.

I wasn’t referring to you, but the OP. 
Though you are still wrong about the money. I already have described my experience. 

1 hour ago, NextG said:

I wasn’t referring to you, but the OP. 
Though you are still wrong about the money. I already have described my experience. 

So you found a living situation that is just as good as an expensive enclave at a fraction of the price?
Pretty lucky I guess, but not common enough to go searching for.

• Confused 1

So far (1.5 years) the only people i would like to never live amongst is anyone from middle-east countries. Some of the most inconsiderate people i've had the displeasure to experience. Of course, many are fine.

I would up my rent to 30k to avoid these types. 

On 12/23/2023 at 10:49 PM, JimTripper said:

That's nowhere near enough what I'm looking for. I'm looking for something akin to a gated community, maybe in the Phuket area or someplace like that that's removed from things off in it's own area, maybe around a lake or something or part of the coastline.

Where you could go out to get groceries or whatever, but would not have to deal with moto drivers or thai street life type situations on a daily basis unless you left that enclave.

Try the Darkside in Pattaya. They have gated communities.

I liked that Thailand doesn't really cater for farangs that don't like Thais, unless extremely rich, in which case they could probably buy an island ( after setting up a company of course ).

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, JimTripper said:

So you found a living situation that is just as good as an expensive enclave at a fraction of the price?
Pretty lucky I guess, but not common enough to go searching for.

🤭 So you’d rather spend a year whinging and whining, rather than to actually find a suitable place? I think a few of us had already figured that out about you. 😊

You have your current place on a 12 month contract. Lots of time to find something more to your claimed standard. But yet…

• Love It 1