Phuket taxi driver drives away foreign woman over air conditioning dispute

webfact

4 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

No. The driver/conductor will tell you that AC can not be regulated even at 21 C outside.

That's why I avoid coaches/vans as good as possible. Only short trips less than 2 hours or so.

Comfy taxis sitting on the back seat I can control the airflow.

Don't think I have ever felt colder than in the morning on the Chiang Mai train, and was glad to discover that the dining car was not air-conditioned and the windows could be opened to survey the view.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thesetat said:

Of course.. Thais do not get involved unless they have a gang to support them.. You should know that already.. 

On minimum wage of 353 baht a day, at the bottom of the barrel of occupations, and in a job where he would be dealing with taxi drivers all day, I cannot see why an uneducated kid in a menial job would be remotely interested in interfering in a dispute of this nature.

9 hours ago, webfact said:

This is destroying the image of the country and also the image of Phuket taxis.

It was destroyed long ago.

If your not a total flunkie your better off renting a car before arrival at the airport.   For short stints on your stay rent a scooter as well for short explorations. 

The money saved on taxis and all the hassle taxis initiate it'll pay for itself! 

42 minutes ago, Spock said:

On minimum wage of 353 baht a day, at the bottom of the barrel of occupations, and in a job where he would be dealing with taxi drivers all day, I cannot see why an uneducated kid in a menial job would be remotely interested in interfering in a dispute of this nature.

Because he has a mother

14 hours ago, connda said:

I've lived here 16+ years now and I can honestly state that this one instance isn't "destroying the image of Phuket taxis" but on the contrary, it's the reoccurrance of Thais physically attacking tourists, making this an accurate representation of the Phuket Taxi Problem that has existed since I first arrived and probably will be an issue until international tourists wake up to the realities of Thai-on-tourist violence as well as the dangers of Thai roads in general in that area, and begin to avoid Phuket to the point where the economy is impacted.  What expat here doesn't know the Phuket taxi mafi stories?  You'd need to be living under a rock.
Regarding "destroying the image of the country?"  Yeah.  That is true.  Just look at the impact of violence such as this - a Thai man physically assaulting and pulling a foreign women out of his car.  I find it revolting just like other instances of Thai-on-foreigner violence that leads to death and injuries.
These instances are paid lip-service by Thai politicos, but the actual problem is obviously still a problem, and if history is any indicators it will continue to be a problem in the future.

In the meanwhile - blame the tourist.

Not to mention the return of the sinking speed boats and non suicidal Bungy jumping from balconies 

13 hours ago, ignore it said:

Well the jury is still out, but we'll find out if she's from China in a few days.

I hope she is, and then we'll have a misunderstanding settlement "ceremony" with the PM offering flowers and the taxi driver sent to make merits in a mountain monastery 😆🥳... 

UPDATE:

Phuket Taxi Driver Apologises, Explains Viral Story of Forcing a Tourist Out of Taxi After Argument About Air Conditioning

By Goongnang Suksawat

image.jpeg

Phuket – A taxi driver has clarified to the police and media the situation after a video clip of him pulling a foreign tourist out from his car at a gas station went viral on Thai social media.

The Phuket Tourist Police told the Phuket Express that on Monday (December 25th) a taxi driver told them that on Sunday (December 24th), he picked up a foreign tourist from a shopping mall in Mueang Phuket. On the way to her accommodation in Bang Tao, his passenger asked him to turn off the air conditioning and lower the window instead.

He turned off the air conditioning in the back of the vehicle but the front was still turned on. His passenger asked him why it was still cool and he told her that he needed to keep the air conditioning still turned on at the front because it was hot, which frustrated the passenger. When he stopped to fill gasoline at a gas station on the Bypass Road, his passenger was disappointed and said it wasted her time for 8 minutes.

Full story: THE PHUKET EXPRESS 2023-12-27

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

"Police said they took the situation very seriously to avoid hurting the positive and professional image of Phuket taxi drivers, according to them." ?????

The infamous fragile Phuket male taxi driver image (syndrome)! Could we have some more honest, historic detail please???

Edited by 2baht
  • Haha 2

Over recent dacades, how many times have we come across articles similar to this (articles in Thai and other language media)?  What have the Thai authorities done to rectify this problem - bad man, Baht 500 fine, do not do it again as it damages Thailand's "pure" reputation.  But when a Chinese national posts on TikTok about being "afraid" around Soi Nana (Bangkok), there is a massive senior police response.

8 minutes ago, JimHuaHin said:

Over recent dacades, how many times have we come across articles similar to this (articles in Thai and other language media)?  What have the Thai authorities done to rectify this problem - bad man, Baht 500 fine, do not do it again as it damages Thailand's "pure" reputation.  But when a Chinese national posts on TikTok about being "afraid" around Soi Nana (Bangkok), there is a massive senior police response.

Don't dwell, they are just fragile! :passifier: 

I wanted the a/c turned on there once and the driver wanted a hundred baht. I paid it as I’d never been there before. Also in BKK they don’t want to use the meter, so I walk away looking for a better taxi.

Until the so called Tourist Authority sits on their hands nothing will change. They seem to have no clue about tourists and tourism.

On 12/26/2023 at 10:24 AM, JoePai said:

And the pump assistant just stood by...

Should know Thais never get involved in other people's disputes. leave that to the police, who usually will take the side of the taxi driver. Thai police idea of looking into something is to leave it 4 or 5 days and hope the foreigner forgets about it. If by chance the foreigner doesn't forget about it, then the taxi driver would have skipped the country, (according to the Thai police) And can we take a picture to show how happy you are with our investigation??????

3 hours ago, Modern Coding said:

No?? So how do you explain that I started to get fever on the same evening and I got sick for almost a week??

Fungus in AC?? Some "dirt" in it being blown at full power??

And yes, some people get sick when AC is on.

Bearing in mind that in many countries it hits 40+ for large parts of the year and aircon is essential, I wonder how they survive? Maybe you got sick from something else, or do you have to carefully choose where you travel to, places too cool to use aircon, in fear of getting sick?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 2baht said:

"Police said they took the situation very seriously to avoid hurting the positive and professional image of Phuket taxi drivers, according to them." ?????

The infamous fragile Phuket male taxi driver image (syndrome)! Could we have some more honest, historic detail please???

They took it seriously for all of around 5 seconds... 

• Like 1