Phuket taxi driver drives away foreign woman over air conditioning dispute

webfact

4 hours ago, Modern Coding said:
23 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, you didn't, cold aircon does not cause people to be ill.  

No?? So how do you explain that I started to get fever on the same evening and I got sick for almost a week??

Fungus in AC?? Some "dirt" in it being blown at full power??

And yes, some people get sick when AC is on.

It is explained by coincidence.  Air conditioning, just like being caught in the rain, does not cause illness.   Fevers are caused by viral or bacterial infections, not by being cold.  

Edited by Liverpool Lou

8 hours ago, webfact said:

UPDATE:

He turned off the air conditioning in the back of the vehicle but the front was still turned on. His passenger asked him why it was still cool and he told her that he needed to keep the air conditioning still turned on at the front because it was hot, which frustrated the passenger. When he stopped to fill gasoline at a gas station on the Bypass Road, his passenger was disappointed and said it wasted her time for 8 minutes.

Full story: THE PHUKET EXPRESS 2023-12-27

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

She's right, he stole her time, too. Fill up in our own time, you moron. Doing it to get his own back because she dared to question him, no doubt. What a pathetic little man!

• Sad 1

35 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Bearing in mind that in many countries it hits 40+ for large parts of the year and aircon is essential, I wonder how they survive? Maybe you got sick from something else, or do you have to carefully choose where you travel to, places too cool to use aircon, in fear of getting sick?

The cold of too cold air con can severely compromise the immune system and allow opportunistic infections. Also cause cramping in the muscles.

• Thanks 1

On 12/26/2023 at 10:05 AM, webfact said:

This is destroying the image of the country and also the image of Phuket taxis. This foreign woman already reported the matter to the police. We are waiting for more details on the story.”

In so doing she besmirched the good name of Thailand.

30 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It is explained by coincidence.  Air conditioning, just like being caught in the rain, does not cause illness.   Fevers are caused by viral or bacterial infections, not by being cold.  

OK, fair enough.

Might indeed have been pure coincidence.

But still: bus driver setting AC at full power and wearing an anorak at the same time is being purely stupid.

• Thumbs Up 1

48 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Bearing in mind that in many countries it hits 40+ for large parts of the year and aircon is essential, I wonder how they survive? Maybe you got sick from something else, or do you have to carefully choose where you travel to, places too cool to use aircon, in fear of getting sick?

Sure, AC is essential in countries with over 40°C: when it is used to cool down. But I am talking about a bus driver setting it at full power while wearing an anorak!

2 hours ago, RobU said:

The cold of too cold air con can severely compromise the immune system and allow opportunistic infections. Also cause cramping in the muscles.

I feel sorry then for the hundreds of millions who must use it 24/7. And for those who venture into Thai cinemas  :smile::cheesy:

4 minutes ago, khunpin said:

His car - his work - his aircon! 

But not polite. 

His car? who pays for the ride?  Customers should be treated with kindness and respect. And if one asks to reduce or raise the airco he should just do so.  This cabdriver is a failure.  He should not be a cabdriver if he can't be polite and handle his customers with care and kindness.

On 12/26/2023 at 1:32 PM, spidermike007 said:

You cannot destroy the image of something that's already been destroyed. The Phuket taxi group does not have an image, other than that of mobsters, gangsters, hooligans and thugs. 

And it seems to me that a taxi driver has to be accommodating to his passengers, if the driver is blasting the AC and the passenger is cold, and asks him to turn it down, isn't it common courtesy to do so? Perhaps she damaged the incredibly delicate ego, of an emotionally undeveloped goon, who looks like a man, and smells like a man, but is actually 13. 

From the article it sounds like he made a reasonable effort to accommodate her.

Maybe she was just a beeyotch.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, wealthychef said:

I believe the driver.  This sounds like a Karen situation.  Has nothing to do with taxi mafia or whatever.  Western women are entitled sometimes and have learned that by kicking up a fuss they can get their needs met.  If she kicked his door he has the right to eject her.  The right way would be to call the police, but in Thailand that's a joke.  So he just had to get on with life.  None of us know what happened in that cab.  Don't hate me because my opinion is different than yours please!  :-) 

You did see the video! Maybe you are OK with your wife, sister, mother or daughter being man handled. Personally I don't.  Maybe have your moral compass checked. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/26/2023 at 2:27 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Why does she want to stay in that taxi? The driver and her have obviously a "misunderstanding". Refusing to get out of the taxi won't make the situation any better.

They are at a gasoline station and not in the middle of a dark road. She can just step out and avoid further trouble.

Above is obviously no reason for the taxi driver to behave like that. But if she would just step away then this wouldn't happen. 

Maybe because she had already paid for the fare? Now she must get a new taxi, and pay again.

If I had paid up front, I wouldn't go easy either. But realising there was no turning back, or no fix in this situation, yes certainly I would leave quietly.

7 hours ago, Modern Coding said:

No?? So how do you explain that I started to get fever on the same evening and I got sick for almost a week??

Fungus in AC?? Some "dirt" in it being blown at full power??

And yes, some people get sick when AC is on.

That is certainly correct. I have gotten sick several times too, only after these freekishly cold aircon rides. No doubt they are the reason. I never use aircon at my home, so I'm not used to it.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You have no idea what impact this cold may have on some people. You are absolutely wrong assuming freekishly cold aircon inside vehicles cannot cause sickness. They sure can! Been there many tens of times.

You are dead wrong. Learn your lesson.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, wealthychef said:

I believe the driver.  This sounds like a Karen situation.  Has nothing to do with taxi mafia or whatever.  Western women are entitled sometimes and have learned that by kicking up a fuss they can get their needs met.  If she kicked his door he has the right to eject her.  The right way would be to call the police, but in Thailand that's a joke.  So he just had to get on with life.  None of us know what happened in that cab.  Don't hate me because my opinion is different than yours please!  :-) 

Do you often assume such things, with absolutely nothing to back you comment up... seriously, just why do you do it?

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I feel sorry then for the hundreds of millions who must use it 24/7. And for those who venture into Thai cinemas  :smile::cheesy:

You will note that I said it can and not that it will. I also said an air con system that is set too cold. Used correctly by hundreds of millions there is no problem 

7 hours ago, wealthychef said:

You say no one knows what happened in the cab yet go on to interpret exactly what happened in your own narrative and ending it with stereotyping a guilty party

stick to being a chef… 

5 hours ago, thaibreaker said:
9 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You have no idea what impact this cold may have on some people. You are absolutely wrong assuming freekishly cold aircon inside vehicles cannot cause sickness. They sure can! Been there many tens of times.

You are dead wrong. Learn your lesson.

Go on, then, I'm ready to be taught a lesson.   What sicknesses are caused by cold airconditioning in vehicles.

5 hours ago, thaibreaker said:

That is certainly correct. I have gotten sick several times too, only after these freekishly cold aircon rides.

No, it is not correct but, go on, tell us what illnesses, specifically, you have contracted from cold airconditioning, i.e. cold temperatures in a vehicle.  

13 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Nothing wrong with being in a heavily A/C room or car....

It's having the fan blowing very cold air at full bore into your face/neck/chest. 

4 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Go on, then, I'm ready to be taught a lesson.   What sicknesses are caused by cold airconditioning in vehicles.

This Doctor Lou seems to be an expert on every single topic that is mentioned in this forum. He poo-poo's most other forum contributors comments.

Some examples of ailments caused by very cold a/c in vehicles...

Three buddies of mine tried to escape the water throwing during Songkran by jumping into a taxi to get to their hotel.

They were all soaking wet. Taxi was held up in traffic, they were probably in the cab sitting in cold a/c for about 45 minutes (according to them)....  All 3 of them came down with a head cold and flu like symptoms a day later.

I was in a friend's car being driven around Esaarn for a whole day. The a/c was blowing cold air on the RHS of my neck but I didn't bother readjusting the vents. It wasn't even so noticable after several hours.

When I woke up the following morning I couldn't even move my neck/head. A bloody stiff neck, never had one before in my life... in pain for about 4 days..

obviously caused by the a/c the previous day.

I'm sure Dr Lou will have a 'comeback' sm*rt*rse response to

me because I corrected him, perhaps a 'pasted' quote from his often referred to mate, Dr Google.

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1

6 hours ago, bangkok19 said:

Some examples of ailments caused by very cold a/c in vehicles...

Three buddies of mine tried to escape the water throwing during Songkran by jumping into a taxi to get to their hotel.

They were all soaking wet. Taxi was held up in traffic, they were probably in the cab sitting in cold a/c for about 45 minutes (according to them)....  All 3 of them came down with a head cold and flu like symptoms a day later.

I was in a friend's car being driven around Esaarn for a whole day. The a/c was blowing cold air on the RHS of my neck but I didn't bother readjusting the vents. It wasn't even so noticable after several hours.

When I woke up the following morning I couldn't even move my neck/head. A bloody stiff neck, never had one before in my life... in pain for about 4 days..

obviously caused by the a/c the previous day.

I'm sure Dr Lou will have a 'comeback' sm*rt*rse response to

me because I corrected him, perhaps a 'pasted' quote from his often referred to mate, Dr Google.

"Some examples of ailments caused by very cold a/c in vehicles ... Taxi was held up in traffic, they were probably in the cab sitting in cold a/c for about 45 minutes (according to them)....  All 3 of them came down with a head cold and flu like symptoms a day later";

Colds and flu are caused by viruses, not cold temperatures.  I'm surprised your pals didn't think that getting wet (as in being cuaght in the rain) causes their colds or flu troubles.  You don't think that it was much more likely that one of your friends perhaps infected the others in the taxi with his cold/flu, do you?!

"...a/c was blowing cold air on the RHS of my neck but I didn't bother readjusting the vents. It wasn't even so noticable after several hours.

When I woke up the following morning I couldn't even move my neck/head. A bloody stiff neck... obviously caused by the a/c the previous day."

A stiff neck is not an illness.  Much more likely that you'd been sleeping awkwardly (and exaggerating your claim of a completely "immobile head") rather than it being caused by the a/c that, to use your own words, "wasn't even so noticeable".

"I'm sure Dr Lou will have a 'comeback' sm*rt*rse response to

me because I corrected him"

You didn't correct me, you just compounded your ignorance.  It is sad that some people regard my posting accurate observations as "comeback smartarse responses" while they're posting easily debunked nonsense as being factual.   Perhaps you could post something verifiable that explains that colds/flu/illnesses are not caused by viruses or bacterial infections but by cold temperatures?  Now, that would be correcting me.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

On 12/26/2023 at 10:24 AM, JoePai said:

And the pump assistant just stood by...

perennial victim. Actual victimizer. Assistant knows she has no rights as a trespassed from business on his property. I never had that happen to me. If you don’t like the car you select “ GTFO” decision. That is your only option. 

22 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, it is not correct but, go on, tell us what illnesses, specifically, you have contracted from cold airconditioning, i.e. cold temperatures in a vehicle.  

Several times, flu like symptoms, a fever lasting up to 4-5 days. They most certainly come from these rides. I am never sick otherwise. Only shortly after using those. From vans, buses or even taxis.

Now you learnt something today too. Life is good, right?

Edited by thaibreaker