Delayed flights cause passenger surge and extended queues at Suvarnabhumi airport

webfact

29 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Any international airport should be able to handle a few extra passengers.

Few extra passengers? more like thousands more, it seems that every man and his dog are flying on those days not

unusual owing to the fact that this is when they get off work on to holidays and get their bonuses...

Edited by ezzra
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

1 - Does anyone have any experience of having to show their boarding card to immigration anywhere else in the world?

2 - Do the airlines when preparing to land instruct their passengers to retain their boarding pass and not leave it on the plane?

3 - How does showing your boarding pass 'expedite the immigration process'?

4 - Why do these ''documents' (boarding passes) 'need to be registered by immigration officers'?

Saudi Arabia & Bahrain used to ask for them. Admittedly not every time, but when they did the normal queues used to get horrendous. I agree with point 3, how does this card expedite immigration when you have the landing card and passport......jobs worth maybe.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

The reason the Immigration boss says a Boarding Pass expedites the entry is because they want to see it. Never mind the reason why. When an IO asks a passenger for a BP and they fumble to locate it or worse, have thrown it away, it holds up the queue. 

Incoming passengers need to understand the BP should be retained and put in their PP when they present it to the IO.

Presumably, immigration want to see where the passenger is coming from, just in case they need to send them back?:whistling:

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

Presumably, immigration want to see where the passenger is coming from, just in case they need to send them back?:whistling:

If an incoming passenger is denied entry it becomes an airline problem, i think, which is why airlines want to see an appropriate entry visa or better, a return ticket.

• Confused 1

Thai immigration is always a problem, delays, or anything are said to make the problems, but with slow working officers, a lot of administfration at the desk, it will never improve. Why is in the EU or a lot of other countries never a problem  But in Suvarnabhumi always long queues ... Last time we came back on 6 October and it was the same problem.. No delays no extra flights but a crowded area at the immigration.. and it takes a time before you passed them.. In 2023 it is not updated yet although they want more tourists, but 30 minutes to enter is far too long....

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

1 - Does anyone have any experience of having to show their boarding card to immigration anywhere else in the world?

2 - Do the airlines when preparing to land instruct their passengers to retain their boarding pass and not leave it on the plane?

4 - Why do these ''documents' (boarding passes) 'need to be registered by immigration officers'?

Because the Thais love paperwork, there must be a pile of useless paperwork the size of Mount Everest somewhere. After all they are only children 🤣😂🤣

• Haha 2

Seems strange that Immigration require a "Boarding Pass" from arriving passengers.

I always considered the boarding pass to be the document that allowed me past the boarding gate and onto the aircraft and to my nominated seat.

I often left them on the aircraft or ditched them in the first bin I came to.

I will now have to change my habits of more than 60 years of travel.

It does appear they are running the scheduled arrival times judiciously.   And they actually know the  numbers so it doesn't sound like they are blaming delays on the planes were late "its ok" card. 

Edited by Elkski
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

They don't need a landing card now - although you still need to complete one if entering by land - but they need a boarding card. Thai logic in action. You need the landing card at x arrival point but not at y arrival point. I'm sure it makes sense to the locals, but we aren't educated enough to understand.

I was referring to Saudi & Bahrain using landing cards...:smile:

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

1 - Each country has their own immigration regulations.

2 - No, but they should.

3 - See 1 above.

4 - See 1 above.

• Sad 1

55 minutes ago, cracker1 said:

Seems strange that Immigration require a "Boarding Pass" from arriving passengers.

I always considered the boarding pass to be the document that allowed me past the boarding gate and onto the aircraft and to my nominated seat.

I often left them on the aircraft or ditched them in the first bin I came to.

I will now have to change my habits of more than 60 years of travel.

Change is good.

• Haha 1