Missing British artist Millie Young is 'believed to be trapped inside' sunken tour vessel that is now 180ft beneath the waves after capsizing off Thailand

webfact

4 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

image.png

Did they weld the top green and yellow rear sections on themselves to get more money?

Wasn't the boat that sank and killed all the Chinese in Phuket a few years ago built in some unlicensed guy's backyard?

No. Built substandard in a machine shop.

There was a well published case involving foreigners building boats in a backyard who were found to be breaching immigration work rules.

• Sad 2

10 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

The fact that some of these ships remain upright is astonishing but presumably they've all been properly computer designed and  scale models have been tested in wave tanks, and certain operating limits established  etc etc.      That is not the case with these Thai tourboats

Cruise ships have a very low center of gravity. All the weight is in the steel hull, engines, tanks, etc. below the waterline, complemented by ballast. Upper decks are built of lightweight materials. 

Edited by Old Croc
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Cruise ships have a very low center of gravity. All the weight is in the steel hull, tanks, etc. below the waterline, complemented by ballast. Upper decks are built of lightweight materials.

which is not the case with all the wooden boats working in the tourist hotspots

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Missing British artist Millie Young is 'believed to be trapped inside' sunken tour vessel that is now 180ft beneath the waves after capsizing off Thailand

She is not trapped, her body is. Not difficult to say "The body of missing British artist Millie Young is 'believed to be trapped inside' sunken tour vessel that is now 180ft beneath the waves after capsizing off Thailand". 

Very poorly witten headline from I suggest an under educated person.

Yes, very poorly WITTEN.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

which is not the case with all the wooden boats working in the tourist hotspots

You expressed astonishment that cruise ships don't tip over because they seem unbalanced. Just trying to help.

Wooden boats also need ballast to prevent capsizing, although building, maintenance and operating standards can be suspect here. Water ingress would be the main cause of instability. 

From the op, this astonished me!

"Songtan explained how the ship was forced to stop en route as 'the waves were so strong'. Waves 'more than three metres high' slapped against the side of the ship, with too much being taken on for the waste water pump to remove. "

Edited by Old Croc
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

On 12/28/2023 at 6:48 PM, dinsdale said:

She is not trapped, her body is. Not difficult to say "The body of missing British artist Millie Young is 'believed to be trapped inside' sunken tour vessel that is now 180ft beneath the waves after capsizing off Thailand". 

Very poorly witten headline from I suggest an under educated person.

More correctly, she is believed to have gone down with the boat that is now 180 ft....... 

• Agree 1

On 12/28/2023 at 1:55 PM, brianthainess said:

So they still haven't sent divers down to check TIT.

I might have missed it but I don't think they've found it yet so is not possible to dive yet. If the depth estimate is correct then I think that's something that needs to be taken into account. Then there's the issue of bringing a probable non diver up from that depth and sadly it may be too late for that.

• 1 month later...
On 12/28/2023 at 2:30 PM, Chongalulu said:

Put your scuba tank on then  ,Brian, don't worry that 180 feet is below the depth limit for safe diving. And what's the hurry,do you think this is still a rescue situation?

Thats 55 meters, a very reasonable dive in tropical waters. I went to that depth, on air, in the Geneva lake, but had to abort when both my regulators froze in 4 degrees Celsius. This won't happen in hot waters, so that dive needs just a bit of good planning. And with Heliox it would be a piece of cake anyhow.

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, steven100 said:

I hope they rescue Millie soon and she makes a full recovery ...

terrible ordeal to go through.  

oh dear '  I just read where this was back in December, I think it's now been too long since Millie went down with the ship.  

I doubt it as a rescue now,  It's a recovery ....    Millie's boat don't look very seaworthy .....  alot of steel and top heavy possibly ?   were there life rafts ? life vests ?  flares ?  on board ....  

no one can last long at that depth ...

On 12/28/2023 at 4:04 PM, Gandtee said:

If she and the cook are trapped inside the sunken vessel let's hope that their removal will be more successful than the navy's attempt to recover those trapped in their ship that capsized due to rough seas.

Steven Siegel I hope is the cook. He saved a whole ship.

On 2/12/2024 at 5:21 PM, Ben Zioner said:

Thats 55 meters, a very reasonable dive in tropical waters. I went to that depth, on air, in the Geneva lake, but had to abort when both my regulators froze in 4 degrees Celsius. This won't happen in hot waters, so that dive needs just a bit of good planning. And with Heliox it would be a piece of cake anyhow.

The BSAC limit  is 50 metres and in all circles is considered very deep. You are also right on the border of oxygen toxicity. Not only would your bottom time be a not very useful 5 minutes but you would have to do extended decompression stops. Because you got away with it doesn’t make it safe 

1 hour ago, Chongalulu said:

The BSAC limit  is 50 metres and in all circles is considered very deep. You are also right on the border of oxygen toxicity. Not only would your bottom time be a not very useful 5 minutes but you would have to do extended decompression stops. Because you got away with it doesn’t make it safe 

Just deep, not very deep, there is a famous wreck off La Ciotat, "Le Donator", where you reach the bow at forty at 40 meters, and every one proceeds through the holds to the propeller at 51 meters, dived it twice. Thousands of divers a year. So many that at my second dive  the boat couldn't moor and we did our decompression drifting, but they picked us up in the right spot.

There is also "Le Togo" which lies at 60 meters, which I didn't dive, but it is quite popular, and most people dived it on air, until the mixes became available for amateurs.

But yes 50 meters in the lake gets a bit risky, as the regulators must cope with the cold, so does your body when wearing a wet suit, and it is pitch dark so panic can set in more easily, and .. kills.

And we used to say "there aren't any good divers, only surviving divers".