Smart watches

bradiston

@bradiston  As you have probably realised by now, the so called Smart Watches are extremely limited when it comes to producing anything near a true ECG wave form which can be analysed to provide an accurate picture of your hearts functions.

As an alternative to the Smart Watch idea, perhaps consider a portable heart monitor, like the one shown in the picture below.

UntitledX.jpg.4c2ade7cb0bce82db124f679719d49b3.jpg

As you can see this has 3 monitoring pads and can provide a very accurate wave form.  The device can be used to monitor for short or continuous time periods, and is capable of holding up to 22 hours of data.  The wave form data can be uploaded to a PC and printed out, or sent to your doctor via email etc.   Cost about 3,000 THB via AliExpress.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006233999253.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.77.11a64e05hm7QQY&algo_pvid=e80e2613-930d-47fb-bc14-1b4ee97aa9b5&algo_exp_id=e80e2613-930d-47fb-bc14-1b4ee97aa9b5-38&pdp_npi=4%40dis!GBP!143.42!68.84!!!1262.52!!%40210318ec17041946083043462ea42a!12000036396762881!sea!UK!793418811!&curPageLogUid=q845CPdBK9ZW#nav-description

The device screen is fairly small and therefore does not give a very good wave form picture.  However, when the data is uploaded it provides a very accurate picture.  I think with this particular device it is possible to download an app onto the PC to interpret the data for you.

I have a similar device which I use for a slightly different reason.  As a EMS Paramedic, I need to prove that a person has no heart beat for a period of 15 minutes in order to certify that life is extinct, even when their brains are splattered all over the road.  My device loads via Bluetooth to my Android phone which enables me to send the trace to the local ER doctor for second opinion if required.

Hope this helps.

20230929_112338_02_iv.jpg.db85d8af3c1f7b560abbbb7ae400bfbe.jpg

5 minutes ago, 007 RED said:

@bradiston  As you have probably realised by now, the so called Smart Watches are extremely limited when it comes to producing anything near a true ECG wave form which can be analysed to provide an accurate picture of your hearts functions.

As an alternative to the Smart Watch idea, perhaps consider a portable heart monitor, like the one shown in the picture below.

UntitledX.jpg.4c2ade7cb0bce82db124f679719d49b3.jpg

As you can see this has 3 monitoring pads and can provide a very accurate wave form.  The device can be used to monitor for short or continuous time periods, and is capable of holding up to 22 hours of data.  The wave form data can be uploaded to a PC and printed out, or sent to your doctor via email etc.   Cost about 3,000 THB via AliExpress.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006233999253.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.77.11a64e05hm7QQY&algo_pvid=e80e2613-930d-47fb-bc14-1b4ee97aa9b5&algo_exp_id=e80e2613-930d-47fb-bc14-1b4ee97aa9b5-38&pdp_npi=4%40dis!GBP!143.42!68.84!!!1262.52!!%40210318ec17041946083043462ea42a!12000036396762881!sea!UK!793418811!&curPageLogUid=q845CPdBK9ZW#nav-description

The device screen is fairly small and therefore does not give a very good wave form picture.  However, when the data is uploaded it provides a very accurate picture.  I think with this particular device it is possible to download an app onto the PC to interpret the data for you.

I have a similar device which I use for a slightly different reason.  As a EMS Paramedic, I need to prove that a person has no heart beat for a period of 15 minutes in order to certify that life is extinct, even when their brains are splattered all over the road.  My device loads via Bluetooth to my Android phone which enables me to send the trace to the local ER doctor for second opinion if required.

Hope this helps.

20230929_112338_02_iv.jpg.db85d8af3c1f7b560abbbb7ae400bfbe.jpg

I never said the watch is a replacement for proper tools such as a real pulse/ox

I have one, and the watch accurately matches the pulse/ox.  It is capable of giving an early warning for afib even during sleep. 

Then you place your finger for a more accurate view of things as they stand. 

That is the role I wanted. 

These smart watch ECG's are not meant to be a replacement for a proper cardiologist administered one, but do provide a good check if you feel you have a problem, or just do one regularly for monitoring over time.  I have a Samsung Galaxy Watch 6, which does a good job of recording these, as well as tracking my pulse rate, and a few other parameters, continually.

For example, I awoke one night last September with a pounding heart beat, which seemed to be irregular, and did a quick ECG, as below.  I had been under some stress around then, and through slow breathing I was able to calm down and get rid of the extra beat, but, due to the watch ECG, the following day I was able to show my cardiologist (who is treating me for hypertension) exactly what I experienced.  She gave me a full ECG, but my heart was beating normally, and has continued to do so since then.  This was no doubt caused by the stress I was under at the time, and I am controlling it (as best I can) however, if it had have been a symptom of a more serious issue, being able to get a recording of my heart beat at that time could have been invaluable.

image.png.40b962c0dbfe26776f150b78804f042d.png

All others I have done on my watch appear to be normal:

image.png.45fe295dd87d77ca1e4dfbd0d7b769a9.png

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, DudleySquat said:

I am always amazed at the ignorant statements made so easily when I give you a YouTube video that goes over this feature in detail. 

I'm sure you are an expert hence leaving nonsense posts about YouTube.  

Maybe you can give me the exact location within the 33 minute video. I've read reviews of the Galaxy watches elsewhere, and believe me, there is no way they can continuously run an ECG test. It'll maybe monitor BPM, but that's not the same thing. If it suspects you might have afib symptoms, it will alert you and you can then test using the ECG app.

In any case I already know I have afib. I need to listen for the anomaly I experience when my heart appears to stop and restart. The exact causes of that the doctors cannot diagnose without real time data. It's impossible for me to capture the data as it's over in a matter of seconds. So I need continuous ECG. Only specialized medical devices can provide that. The Holter is out of the question, but there are several other devices, but they come at a cost.

I'm seeing the neurologist tomorrow who got me into thinking a smart watch was the answer, and I jumped at it as it seemed like a godsend. But my cardiologist, his colleague, laughed at the suggestion. A BPM print out is of no use to him at all. And as for smart watches? Forget it, he said.

9 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

These smart watch ECG's are not meant to be a replacement for a proper cardiologist administered one, but do provide a good check if you feel you have a problem, or just do one regularly for monitoring over time.  I have a Samsung Galaxy Watch 6, which does a good job of recording these, as well as tracking my pulse rate, and a few other parameters, continually.

For example, I awoke one night last September with a pounding heart beat, which seemed to be irregular, and did a quick ECG, as below.  I had been under some stress around then, and through slow breathing I was able to calm down and get rid of the extra beat, but, due to the watch ECG, the following day I was able to show my cardiologist (who is treating me for hypertension) exactly what I experienced.  She gave me a full ECG, but my heart was beating normally, and has continued to do so since then.  This was no doubt caused by the stress I was under at the time, and I am controlling it (as best I can) however, if it had have been a symptom of a more serious issue, being able to get a recording of my heart beat at that time could have been invaluable.

image.png.40b962c0dbfe26776f150b78804f042d.png

All others I have done on my watch appear to be normal:

image.png.45fe295dd87d77ca1e4dfbd0d7b769a9.png

Thanks. You were able to run an ECG while still experiencing your heart problems. Mine is all over in a couple of seconds, so running an ECG after it happens I don't think would be of much use. I do think your print out is extremely impressive though. Do you run the data through an app on your phone? My readings always show gaps in the beat. That's afib! I don't normally notice them, and they don't cause me any discomfort. Until I get a really major one. Then, it's really quite alarming.

13 hours ago, bradiston said:

Thanks. You were able to run an ECG while still experiencing your heart problems. Mine is all over in a couple of seconds, so running an ECG after it happens I don't think would be of much use. I do think your print out is extremely impressive though. Do you run the data through an app on your phone? My readings always show gaps in the beat. That's afib! I don't normally notice them, and they don't cause me any discomfort. Until I get a really major one. Then, it's really quite alarming.

Yes, the watch is linked to an app on the phone (Samsung health monitor), which records and generates the print out, as well as storing the data.

On 12/29/2023 at 5:41 PM, CharlieH said:

Huawei have their onw "health" app. My device is Huawei, its not certified etc but when checked with a Drs surgery heart rate monitor it was identical readings. I wear it daily, step count, activity tracker etc. It monitors ny heart rate whilst sleeping, whilst exercising etc and warns me when I push too far and when I can resume. It does what it says on the tin. It suits my needs but it is NOT a medical device.

Yep, I am very happy with my Huawei Watch Fit 2. However, the sleep tracker is not very accurate when compared to other models. Some of the posters may wish to check out this guy on Youtube (The Quantified Scientist). He gives very detailed reports on fitness trackers/smart watches and provides comparisons between a very wide range of models, from low budget to high. Here is one he did a year ago for heart rate tracking: