RE: Requirements for Retirement Visa

No requirements needed! Come in on your tourist visa, then one of the many visa agents can take care of everything. 

No money in the bank needed. Will cost you around 20 - 25k. 

The agent will take care to open your bank account (Bangkok Bank) and will handle the paper work with the Immigration. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/31/2023 at 9:56 AM, likerdup1 said:

At Division 1 CW, Money does not need to be in the bank 2 months prior to application. Money can be actually transfered the day before and CW division 1 will accept. ( I did this 2 months ago) Other offices like Chonburi Jomtien may require "fund seasoning" for 2 months but this is not official "law" as CW in Bangkok does not require it and they pretty much play by the book.

Application for a Non-O (in country) does not require insurance.

Where will the OP be applying for the Visa? If in Bangkok no need to "season" the funds for the initial Non-O.

Very roughly here is a way to do it in country--it goes like this.

-Come to Thailand on visa exempt (given at the airport) or Get a 60 day tourist visa online .. Thailand eVisa.

-Get a bank account ( or two) I prefer Bangkok Bank. Others may have other preferences. I prefer to have a Bangkok Bank Foreign currency account to keep my money in dollars and then change dollars into baht by transferring money out of the FCA to baht account.

-Apply for the initial Non-O Visa for the purpose of retirement. This visa gives 90 days permission to stay.

Depending on the way you entered Thailand, you'd fill out a TM 86 or 87  (you will need various documents like a Tm.30, copies of passport, some small proof of residency like a hotel receipt (this CW Division requirements, other offices may require more)

- after about two months from receiving the initial Non-O 90 days permission to stay apply for the 1 year extension of stay

you will need documentation of money in the bank, residency and various other forms as well as the TM7 extension application form.

- do 90 checkin reports during the year and keep the money in the bank (you can deplete it somewhat but the timing needs to coincide with requirements, more on that later if you decide to deplete money in the bank by 400k it is allowed.

-a month or less before extension expires apply for another.

-Rinse, lather, repeat for long term residency in Thailand.

Many of the expats who frequent this forum do their immigration business themselves. If you have the time and energy to research and do the foot work then great. Otherwise it may be worth it for you to find a reputable, above board agent to do the work. I have never used and agent so I would defer to others here for referral and  use of an agency.

Don't try the TM86 or 87 route at Samui Immigration. They will not accept that this is in the regulations.

3 hours ago, PeachCH said:

No requirements needed! Come in on your tourist visa, then one of the many visa agents can take care of everything. 

No money in the bank needed. Will cost you around 20 - 25k. 

The agent will take care to open your bank account (Bangkok Bank) and will handle the paper work with the Immigration. 

This would be illegal. I think I would rather sleep at night.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Lite Beer said:

What's illegal about it, there's nothing in the law that says the 800k can't be from a loan. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/31/2023 at 2:32 AM, ME100 said:

Hello,  I am an 81 years young :smile: U.S. citizen looking to retire permanently in Thailand.  I want to apply for a retirement visa in-country.

I know I meet the income qualifications, but am I required to have a private Health Insurance policy also when I enter the country and apply for my visa?  I ask this question because as a U.S. military veteran the Veterans Administration took care of my health insurance, which of course does not apply in Thailand. 

Also, are there other visa requirements for this type of Visa?  I'm asking because I get mixed answers from several sources on this subject, so anyone who recently went through this process would be ideal for answering my questions, etc.

This is my first time on this site, so I will list my email address for any replies:  Any advice greatly appreciated!  

All the Best, and Thank You for consideration! JD

Hello  -good luck to you ,I have read some of the responses  there are very knowledgeable folks on here.I used an agent in Bangkok  and for the bank account he and the bank employee had is set up in less than an hour. Also consider travel health insurance much cheaper - i have purchased it twice.

2 hours ago, Lite Beer said:

Then thousands of falangs, especially in Pattaya, can't sleep well. In 1969 when I came first time to Thailand, this kind of visas were already offered!

Until today, Immigration officers prefer this kind of visa. Why? Well they receive their shares. And what bank the agente are using? Only Bangkok Bank 😁👍

On 12/31/2023 at 2:32 AM, ME100 said:

Hello,  I am an 81 years young :smile: U.S. citizen looking to retire permanently in Thailand.  I want to apply for a retirement visa in-country.

I know I meet the income qualifications, but am I required to have a private Health Insurance policy also when I enter the country and apply for my visa?  I ask this question because as a U.S. military veteran the Veterans Administration took care of my health insurance, which of course does not apply in Thailand. 

Also, are there other visa requirements for this type of Visa?  I'm asking because I get mixed answers from several sources on this subject, so anyone who recently went through this process would be ideal for answering my questions, etc.

This is my first time on this site, so I will list my email address for any replies:  Any advice greatly appreciated!  

All the Best, and Thank You for consideration! JD

I think the insurance question is dependent on which Visa Type you wind up with O-A requires insurance, O doesn't.

If it were me... I would one of two things:

1. Have a conversation with Rex. He made the whole process for me super easy. - https://www.siam-legal.com/legal_services/thailand-visa-services.php

2. If you know where you will be living, call that immigration office directly and ask.

5 hours ago, Trippy said:

What's illegal about it, there's nothing in the law that says the 800k can't be from a loan. 

There is something that says it has to be there 2 months before application.

Plus 2 or 3 months after.

Plus 400,000 for the rest of the year.

So yes it is illegal.

2 hours ago, PeachCH said:

Then thousands of falangs, especially in Pattaya, can't sleep well. In 1969 when I came first time to Thailand, this kind of visas were already offered!

Until today, Immigration officers prefer this kind of visa. Why? Well they receive their shares. And what bank the agente are using? Only Bangkok Bank 😁👍

The fact that Immigration officers are compliant does not make legal.

On 1/2/2024 at 1:10 AM, DrJack54 said:

It's certainly different than years gone by.

Most provinces require a certificate of residence from immigration and that might be possible with a tourist visa and even visa exempt stamp.

(not possible in Bangkok) 

Alternatively a "residence certification" from embassy, however USA,UK,AU do not provide that service.

It's possible purchase of insurance would assist the process.

Use of an agent is an alternative, however that also currently seems less straight forward. 

The OP in this thread asks questions however no good at answering questions such as "do you have a Thai bank account"

If not then it might be advantageous to obtain the non O prior to entering Thailand

True that the US Embassy can't provide residence certificate. Had a little spat opening a new account at a Bangkok Bank branch in Bangkok last year when I presented the comical document the embassy did provide, certifying that so-and-so, a US citizen, states that he lives at ... . The BKKB officer was quite correct to refuse my application with this document, but when I asked to see some successful residence certificates, there were others just like from the US previously approved. On the advice of my wife not to make enemies, I went to another branch, met with some resistance but showed the evidence I had, and was approved.

7 minutes ago, OldAjahn said:

I went to another branch, met with some resistance but showed the evidence I had, and was approved.

Extremely lucky.

In the main without certificate of residence you cannot open a bank account in Bangkok with an entry from tourist visa or visa exempt. 

Not clear what "evidence you had"

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Extremely lucky.

In the main without certificate of residence you cannot open a bank account in Bangkok with an entry from tourist visa or visa exempt. 

Not clear what "evidence you had"

Sorry, I meant the other embassy-issued certificates of residence that BKKB had previously allowed.

Just now, OldAjahn said:

Sorry, I meant the other embassy-issued certificates of residence that BKKB had previously allowed.

I subsequently did some research into the question. The Bank of Thailand is the one who issues the regulations for Thai bank accounts. A few years ago, I don't have the date, they changed the ID requirement from a passport, to passport plus some other quasi-official document which includes address. I was quoted: a Thai yellow book (non-tabien ban for foreigners), foreign government ID card, drivers license, a letter of employment from a recognized company, matriculation letter at a school, condo ownership document, and some others I've forgot. The Bank of Thailand thoughtfully provided as final option, in default of the others, an affadavit from the applicant's embassy. A grey area certainly.

As is often pointed out on this forum, it is worth while to do you business at a location with many foreign customers. My second BKKB visit was to a branch in the tourist area. Also opened accounts at BAY with even being asked for the comical US embassy letter, because it was the main branch at Ploenchit. Tried again at my local shopping center and was refused.

16 minutes ago, OldAjahn said:

I subsequently did some research into the question. The Bank of Thailand is the one who issues the regulations for Thai bank accounts. A few years ago, I don't have the date, they changed the ID requirement from a passport, to passport plus some other quasi-official document which includes address. I was quoted: a Thai yellow book (non-tabien ban for foreigners), foreign government ID card, drivers license, a letter of employment from a recognized company, matriculation letter at a school, condo ownership document, and some others I've forgot. The Bank of Thailand thoughtfully provided as final option, in default of the others, an affadavit from the applicant's embassy. A grey area certainly.

As is often pointed out on this forum, it is worth while to do you business at a location with many foreign customers. My second BKKB visit was to a branch in the tourist area. Also opened accounts at BAY with even being asked for the comical US embassy letter, because it was the main branch at Ploenchit. Tried again at my local shopping center and was refused.

Smoke and mirrors.

When did you open last open a bank account in Bangkok with a tourist visa or visa exempt.

That is how the OP is entering.

Fortunately he has a Thai bank account.

Most of the current threads re banks is about opening bank accounts currently.

On 1/3/2024 at 12:51 PM, PeachCH said:

Why? Well they receive their shares.

Corruption - illegal.

On 1/3/2024 at 12:51 PM, PeachCH said:

And what bank the agente are using? Only Bangkok Bank

Yeah, because you can change the name of the account holder online, which is fraudulent - illegal.

• Haha 1

🤣🤣🤣Who cares

On 1/6/2024 at 11:38 PM, Liquorice said:

Corruption - illegal.

Yeah, because you can change the name of the account holder online, which is fraudulent - illegal.

And who cares since at least 55 years (1969 I learned first time about this service), obviously nobody 😂😂😂

On 12/31/2023 at 7:16 AM, Jingthing said:

Starting with an O vs. O-A visa makes the difference.

If you start with an O-A (obtainted outside Thailand) then you do need health insurance for that including all subsequent extensions.

If you start with an O visa, no such requirement.

Don't try to understand the logic of that. There isn't any. 

So, an annual retirement extension obtained in Thailand does NOT need health insurance and such an extension obtained outside Thailand does? 

I'm not disputing what you say. You may be right. But I thought it was the other way round, ie, obtained in Thailand = health insurance required; obtained outside = not required.

(I don't actually know the facts of it as I'm on a marriage extension, but may switch to retirement in future, so I would like to know.)

🙂👍

47 minutes ago, Toolong said:

So, an annual retirement extension obtained in Thailand does NOT need health insurance and such an extension obtained outside Thailand does? 

I'm not disputing what you say. You may be right. But I thought it was the other way round, ie, obtained in Thailand = health insurance required; obtained outside = not required.

(I don't actually know the facts of it as I'm on a marriage extension, but may switch to retirement in future, so I would like to know.)

🙂👍

Extensions outside Thailand are never done.

Whether you need insurance or not is determined by the visa you start with.

O-A available outside Thailand only requires insurance for the initial visa and all subsequent extensions in Thailand. 

O visa obtained inside or outside Thailand requires no insurance for the initial visa and all subsequent extensions in Thailand.

Obviously the best choice is to start with an O visa not an OA visa.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/31/2023 at 12:20 PM, Dan O said:

if he's in the USA its the middle of the night and he stated he supplied his email for replies, which was removed. 

Middle of the night makes no difference.

I, for one, post most of my comments in the middle of the night, peaking at around 5AM, Thailand time.

2 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Middle of the night makes no difference.

I, for one, post most of my comments in the middle of the night, peaking at around 5AM, Thailand time.

So what you do has nothing to do with the poster. Some people tend to sleep at night time. He also asked for people to reply to his email.  so use that " genius " brain you claim to have and figure it out. 

17 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

O-A available outside Thailand only requires insurance for the initial visa and all subsequent extensions in Thailand. 

O visa obtained inside or outside Thailand requires no insurance for the initial visa and all subsequent extensions in Thailand.

O obtained outside Thailand require insurance (Europe one year ago) not sure now.
O obtained in Thailand no insurance required.

On 1/3/2024 at 3:14 PM, Lite Beer said:

There is something that says it has to be there 2 months before application.

Plus 2 or 3 months after.

Plus 400,000 for the rest of the year.

So yes it is illegal.

The stamp in his passport is as legal as the stamp in your passport.

12 minutes ago, ThailandNinja said:

O obtained outside Thailand require insurance (Europe one year ago) not sure now.
O obtained in Thailand no insurance required.

Sounds like maybe a Covid era thing and as an O visa is only for 90 days that would be different and also if you later got retirement extensions in Thailand as started with O no insurance required.

Getting a 90 day O visa outside Thailand based on retirement has always been an iffy situation 

Embassies will generally require OA if you say retirement.

This is why getting the initial O in Thailand has become more usual.

When I started long ago I was able to get an O based on retirement at a Thai consulate in the US.

Edited by Jingthing

10 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Sounds like maybe a Covid era thing and as an O visa is only for 90 days that would be different and also if you later got retirement extensions in Thailand as started with O no insurance required.

Getting a 90 day O visa outside Thailand based on retirement has always been an iffy situation 

Embassies will generally require OA if you say retirement.

This is why getting the initial O in Thailand has become more usual.

When I started long ago I was able to get an O based on retirement at a Thai consulate in the US.

I did my 90 day O online late 2022, it was easy, just a lot of documents. :)
My home insurance was accepted as health insurance for the 90 days, post covid era.
Extended with no problems, no health insurance required.

Edited by ThailandNinja

3 minutes ago, ThailandNinja said:

I did my 90 day O online late 2022, it was easy, just a lot of documents. :)
My home insurance was accepted as health insurance for the 90 days.
Extended with no problems, no health insurance required.

Yes.

Again start with O not OA.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Thanks a lot for that very clear breakdown of what's what with OA & O re health insurance requirements, Jingthing.

I really appreciate it. 👍🙏.

• Thumbs Up 1