New laptop?

4 minutes ago, still kicking said:

No don't have any children or grandchildren and yes, I prefer a laptop since I live in OZ now but travel a lot to LOS. Not practical for me to buy a computer since I like to keep in contact with friends and family in Europe. Also have many friends in LOS which live in different cities, so a laptop is handy. Yes, new laptops are not expansive now I just wondered if it was any point in reformatting or better buy a new one. But thanks for your opinion. Reformatting is a lot of work involved so I guessed I be better of buying a new one and start from fresh. 

Erm… your post doesn’t make much sense. Reformatting is not what is being suggested, but simply replacing the very slow spinning disc HDD. Then you can just use the Recovery USB that you created and you can be up and running within an hour

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, NextG said:

How much is that? You think it’s in the same price range as an Aspire E15? 

I paid £1500 for a XPS 7590 32gb oled killer wifi Thunderbolt two years ago, no idea of E15🤔

9 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

Absolutely spot on but @NextGwill argue against you even though the rest of the sane technical world knows he is WRONG!

Thank you Scottie. I know what's what with a PC since starting with MS DOS. 

10 hours ago, ravip said:

Sorry, I will disagree on this. RAM will hog the machine ONLY if the available RAM is not enough to cater to the current demand. If not, you can increase the RAM as much as you can, but there will not be any difference.

Of course there is a limit as to how much RAM your PC needs to do the work you are doing. Over that limit, more RAM will be visiting Miss Adams. A lot of video editing for example, or music recording will need more that surfing the web or cropping photos.

• Like 2

Then of course, there is the ability in Windows to assign some space on your drive, HDD or SSD, to be Virtual Memory, to be used as and when needed. Or you can use a USB stick as RAM under certain circumstances.

Edited by KannikaP

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Thank you Scottie. I know what's what with a PC since starting with MS DOS. 

Wow ☺️
Even after seeing the video, you are arguing against reality 🤭

I actually thought that you were better than that and worse still for you, you are actually tying your wagon to @scottiejohn Mind boggling 😊

I don’t want to point out the obvious, but your knowledge is pre-SSD. 
I tried to explain it to you as simply as possible, but it seems that you have hit your limit for learning. 
I even supplied a video to show you how it works in reality as opposed to very simplistic theory which omits certain realities. Such as the data loaded into RAM has to come from somewhere. It doesn’t reside in the fast RAM. It’s swapped in and out. Guess what? If it’s being swapped in and out between RAM and SSD, it will be faster than swapping between RAM and HDD. Because the HDD is much slower. 
It’s so simple, but that simple concept is obviously a step too far for a couple of people here. 

Now go to look at the full specs of drives; SSD and HDD. But this time don’t just look at maximum Read and Write, but the speeds at doing so with lots of small files and IOPS. 
https://www.icc-usa.com/the-io-bottleneck-and-solid-state-drives-ssd

I always know as soon as someone starts writing about their experience and technical expertise….

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

53 minutes ago, NextG said:

Such as the data loaded into RAM has to come from somewhere. It doesn’t reside in the fast RAM. It’s swapped in and out. Guess what? If it’s being swapped in and out between RAM and SSD, it will be faster than swapping between RAM and HDD. Because the HDD is much slower. 

Talk about stating the bloody obvious.

As for the video......I do not understand German.

13 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

NO I did not watch it! (nor will I ever!)

I use my many years of hand's on experience in my professional IT experience to state my case or try and make my point!

My observations are not based on other poster's illogical/uninformed posts on this subject!

I  make my responses based on the correct correlation between the various components of a computer's components and their interaction with each other! 

The video proves that an SSD is faster than an HDD, and 8 GB of RAM is faster than 2GB..obviously. So doing ANYTHING, booting, opening a programme or retrieving data will be faster with 8GB, possibly more,  and an SSD 

14 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

NO I did not watch it! (nor will I ever!)

I use my many years of hand's on experience in my professional IT experience to state my case or try and make my point!

My observations are not based on other poster's illogical/uninformed posts on this subject!

I  make my responses based on the correct correlation between the various components of a computer's components and their interaction with each other! 

14 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Talk about stating the bloody obvious.

As for the video......I do not understand German.

👀

Weird. First you argue that you were right and that I was wrong. But now you are claiming that I am ‘stating the obvious’ and so obviously right. Furthermore suggesting that you need to understand German to understand the video 🤦🏻‍♂️ No… the four different combos of RAM/storage drive are written clearly in English. 
The three tests are

1. Boot up speed test

2. How long it takes to open Photoshop

3. How long it takes a load a 1GB file in Photoshop

You’ll see that the device with 2GB of RAM but an SSD far outperforms the device with 8GB but an HDD. Further to that, you can compare the two devices fitted with SSD, though one with 2GB of RAM and the other with 8GB of RAM. Much smaller difference between them, but both with huge differences when compared to the devices fitted with HDD. 

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

The video proves that an SSD is faster than an HDD, and 8 GB of RAM is faster than 2GB..obviously. So doing ANYTHING, booting, opening a programme or retrieving data will be faster with 8GB, possibly more,  and an SSD 

It also proves that a device with 2GB of RAM but with an SSD is much faster than the same device with 8GB of RAM but an HDD. 
Which is what I’ve been asserting all along. 

2 minutes ago, NextG said:

👀

Weird. First you argue that you were right and that I was wrong. But now you are claiming that I am ‘stating the obvious’ and so obviously right. Furthermore suggesting that you need to understand German to understand the video 🤦🏻‍♂️ No… the four different combos of RAM/storage drive are written clearly in English. 
The three tests are

1. Boot up speed test

2. How long it takes to open Photoshop

3. How long it takes a load a 1GB file in Photoshop

You’ll see that the device with 2GB of RAM but an SSD far outperforms the device with 8GB but an HDD. Further to that, you can compare the two devices fitted with SSD, though one with 2GB of RAM and the other with 8GB of RAM. Much smaller difference between them, but both with huge differences when compared to the devices fitted with HDD. 

OK.

Just now, NextG said:

It also proves that a device with 2GB of RAM but with an SSD is much faster than the same device with 8GB of RAM but an HDD. 
Which is what I’ve been asserting all along. 

Yes, obviously.

8 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

It’s like your brain doesn’t want to admit the truth 🤭

What is wrong with you?

The video proves that SSD makes a far bigger difference than adding RAM. That’s why a device with 2GB of RAM far outperforms the one with 8GB of RAM. 

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, NextG said:

It’s like your brain doesn’t want to admit the truth 🤭

What is wrong with you?

The video proves that SSD makes a far bigger difference than adding RAM. That’s why a device with 2GB of RAM far outperforms the one with 8GB of RAM. 

Come on, read my reply again. Of course 8GB is faster than 2, and an SSD is faster than a HDD.

And it seems rather silly to me that the video compare a PC with 2GB of RAM. Once the PC is booted, programme loaded, data retrieved.try doing something with it.

Let's end our tiff now, it's 2024.

Edited by KannikaP

2 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Come on, read my reply again. Of course 8GB is faster than 2, and an SSD is faster than a HDD.

And it seems rather silly to me that the video compare a PC with 2GB of RAM. Once the PC is booted, programme loaded, data retrieved.try doing something with it.

There is no tiff. It’s simply sense against nonsense. 
The OP has adequate RAM for his usage at 4GB. The bottleneck is the HDD. The is the whole point of the thread. SSD first, since that makes the biggest difference. Then RAM, which will make a difference, but MUCH smaller. 
If we were referring to large music programs that need to be stored in RAM, you’d already have upgraded the RAM. That is not the issue here. For surfing and email etc 4GB is adequate. I know because that is what I am using now to run 10 Pro. Not waiting nor sluggishness.
It’s the HDD that is the OP’s problem. 

8 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

You’ll be able to do something with it because the swaps between SSD and RAM will be relatively snappy. Furthermore, the video is over ten years old, to be cognisant with the age of the OP’s device. So 2GB is a useful benchmark to show that it’s the SSD that makes a far bigger difference than RAM in day to day usage, rather than just boot-up as you asserted. 
Why do people here find it so painful to admit they learn something new?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Just to wind you up? No because you are dragging this out. 555

No way. I just want to be sure that we are clear going forward. It’s not a ego thing with me. I just want you to have the correct knowledge going forward.

• Sad 1

On 1/3/2024 at 1:19 AM, still kicking said:

I am running an old laptop I guess about 8 years old it is getting verry slow now. It is an Acer E 15. So is it worse reformatting or just buy a new one which are pretty cheap here where I live, I am not in Thailand. What would you recommend? Not talking about brand but about ggb and ram. What do I need to run a laptop just for websites and mail (no gaming) Since I am in the west now no need to send me prices, I am just interested in the size of a decent laptop, my old one has 4 gb and 500 gb hdd. Any suggestion?

https://www.pcworld.com/article/460970/how-to-replace-your-laptop-hard-drive.html

An article that covers your specific device. 

9 minutes ago, NextG said:

No way. I just want to be sure that we are clear going forward. It’s not a ego thing with me. I just want you to have the correct knowledge going forward.

ME going forward. I have as much knowledge regarding Windows PCs as most people in the IT business having used Windows since DOS days. and am quite happy to extent it to members here who ask for help. Unfortunately hindered by ones 'who know better'.

• Agree 2